The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#141576 - 07/27/08 12:50 AM Can you protect your house? The movie "Felon"
Fitzoid Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: WI, MA, and NYC
Has anyone seen the new movie Felon yet?

It's a very disturbing film about an ordinary, decent, hard-working guy who's prosecuted/imprisoned for being overly zealous defending his home during a robbery.

Bottom line, which you find out in the first minute, is that he kills a crook who appears to be drawing a gun while fleeing his house, with a baseball bat -- hope that's not a spoiler! I honestly don't know how realistic the whole premise is but it was certainly thought provoking. (The movie also presents one of the worst views of American prison life I've seen on film.)

Here's a snippet from one review that I think sums up how many people would feel about this movie.

This tough, uncompromising, cautionary thriller should be a wake-up call about America's outrageously archaic laws insofar as defending the sanctity of home and family.

Susan Granger, SSG Syndicate

I think a number of people here would be interested in seeing this just for the issues it raises. (Yes, the ending is ridiculous, but it's just an afterthought here...)

#141580 - 07/27/08 01:04 AM Re: Movie: Felon [Re: Fitzoid]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

Loc: Former AFB in CA, recouping fr...
Well, since we only go to movies with our pre-teen grandkids, I guess we will have to wait for it to hit the $5 bucket at WallyWorld...

#141610 - 07/27/08 03:23 AM Re: Can you protect your house? The movie "Felon" [Re: Fitzoid]
dweste Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Central California
Originally Posted By: Fitzoid
Has anyone seen the new movie Felon yet?

he kills a crook who appears to be drawing a gun while fleeing his house, with a baseball bat

Who is fleeing the house?

#141638 - 07/27/08 12:41 PM Re: Can you protect your house? The movie "Felon" [Re: dweste]
Fitzoid Offline
Enthusiast

I guess I was too cryptic, but since this is all revealed immediately, I don't think I'm giving anything away. smile

1) Husband and wife wake up, hearing a burglar.

2) Turns out the burglar was in the child's room.

3) Man grabs baseball bat from under bed. Puts wife with child.

4) Chases burglar out of his house. Once the burglar is out of the house, there is no longer an imminent threat...

5) Burglar turns and looks like he's going for a gun. Man takes one swing with bat at burglar.

6) Burglar has instant appointment with the devil.

7) Man goes to prison for killing the burglar outside his home.

Very hard to imagine someone going to prison for this. But the movie certainly makes the case about this being a grave injustice.

#141641 - 07/27/08 12:55 PM Re: Can you protect your house? The movie "Felon" [Re: Fitzoid]
CityBoyGoneCountry Offline
Enthusiast

I don't need to see the movie. I lived it 20 years ago. But in my case it wasn't a burglar, and he didn't die.

Long story short: My older brother's friend (whom I had a long time fued with) was face-to-face with me in my own home. He had a baseball bat and raised it up as if he was going to hit me. I picked up another baseball bat and hit him first.

He lost his spleen. I lost my freedom.

#141652 - 07/27/08 01:38 PM Re: Can you protect your house? The movie "Felon" [Re: Fitzoid]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

"...Chases burglar out of his house. Once the burglar is out of the house, there is no longer an imminent threat...

5) Burglar turns and looks like he's going for a gun. Man takes one swing with bat at burglar..."

A good defense attorney could probably make a case for the homeowner attempting to make a citizens arrest on the BG for burgulary, the BG made a move causing the homeowner to believe that his life was in danger, so he defended himself. But then, the DA could come up with a pretty good story himself. The come those 12 peers...

#141742 - 07/28/08 01:11 AM Re: Can you protect your house? The movie "Felon" [Re: OldBaldGuy]
Fitzoid Offline
Enthusiast

The issue was it would take two years to get to trial, during which he'd be incarcerated anyway and they offered him a three year plea bargain. Unfortunately, it didn't turn out to be a "bargain."

By the way, in case it wasn't clear; I liked and recommend this movie. I told my wife all about it today and she found it hard to believe and wanted to know if it's based on a true story. I'd guess there are more than a few true stories like this one...

#141777 - 07/28/08 12:33 PM Re: Can you protect your house? The movie "Felon" [Re: Fitzoid]
benjammin Offline
Rapscallion
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Anchorage AK
His first mistake was letting the burglar out of the house. His second was pursuing him once he escaped. His third was in not getting the burglar's body back into the house unobserved after delivering the fatal blow. He deserves to go to prison if he isn't going to be adequately prepared.

It's like I train my daughters to think. They see movies of girls running through the woods in fear of some shadowy menace, or see news broadcasts of women being stalked by some pervert ready to grab them from behind at a dark parking lot and stuff them in a van. Wouldn't it be far better if my girls thought and acted more like opportunistic predators themselves than like helpless, unaware victims? If they prepare themselves for confrontation and plan successful strategies that will almost ensure them the advantage in an ambush or E&E type scenario, wouldn't that be more practical? I know it is certainly doable.

It is much more preferable I think that the last terrifying thing going through the would-be assailant's mind is what a bad mistake he just made thinking my girl(s) are somehow helpless women who would be afraid of him, and how much what they are about to do to him is going to hurt, before he expires.

#141788 - 07/28/08 01:32 PM Re: Can you protect your house? The movie "Felon" [Re: benjammin]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

"...not getting the burglar's body back into the house unobserved after delivering the fatal blow.."

Forensics being what they are today, he would stand a very good chance of that being discovered. And instantly being branded as a bad guy by law enforcement/D.A. If I tried that, someone would be recording the whole things on a cell phone or something...

#141811 - 07/28/08 02:53 PM Re: Can you protect your house? The movie "Felon" [Re: benjammin]
Fitzoid Offline
Enthusiast

You shouldn't need to break the law to be protected by the law. (And tampering with a crime scene doesn't seem like a good idea and I don't each watch the CSI programs.)

The point is in the situation outlined above, I don't think the home owner committed any crime. He should have been given a medal from the city, and then he'd unfortunately have to deal with the personal, internal hell of experiencing such a trauma.

And you'd have to wonder what kind of jury would find him guilty of anything.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
2 registered (Jeanette_Isabelle, Ren), 394 Guests and 70 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by Jeanette_Isabelle
1 second ago
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Today at 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.