Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 3 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >
Topic Options
#141429 - 07/25/08 08:37 PM Re: Do you believe? [Re: wildman800]
Blast Offline
INTERCEPTOR
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: TX
Same here. The more I learn the more I Believe. After accepting an electron is both a particle and a wave Catholic doctrines are easy. laugh

-Blast
Radio Call Sign: KI5BOG
*As an Amazon Influencer, I may earn a sales commission on Amazon links in my posts.

#141440 - 07/25/08 10:59 PM Re: Do you believe? [Re: benjammin]
CityBoyGoneCountry Offline
Enthusiast

Originally Posted By: benjammin
Even in science there is a certain amount of creative, subjective influence in order for new discoveries to even be considered.

Speculation is fine. It's impossible to go through life without guessing. But what you shouldn't do is make the leap from speculation to conclusion without the evidence to support it.

A scientist will often say "I think" or "This could be." But he/she cannot say "I know" until it is proven.

#141447 - 07/26/08 12:02 AM Re: Do you believe? [Re: comms]
LED Offline
Veteran

This is a good site with photos of abandoned mental hospitals. Most interesting thing is that many of them were self-sustaining facilities at one time with things like a barbershop, morgue, dental office, etc. Some images are downright creepy.

http://www.darkpassage.com/hopscotch.htm

#141472 - 07/26/08 03:09 AM Re: Do you believe? [Re: CityBoyGoneCountry]
Art_in_FL Offline
Pooh-Bah

Originally Posted By: CityBoyGoneCountry

Speculation is fine. It's impossible to go through life without guessing. But what you shouldn't do is make the leap from speculation to conclusion without the evidence to support it.

A scientist will often say "I think" or "This could be." But he/she cannot say "I know" until it is proven.

There are vast area of reality that are unexplored. There are even things we simply can't know. Anyone interested might profit from a review of "Heisenberg's uncertainty principle", "Schroedinger's Cat" and the limits of knowledge.

But, as you point out, just because there are wide swaths of area we know little about and some things we cannot know this doesn't justify or excuse a headlong leap into supernaturalism, wild speculation and superstition.

#141490 - 07/26/08 11:21 AM Re: Do you believe? [Re: wildman800]
ironraven Offline
Cranky Geek
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Vermont
Best disclaimer ever.

When a man dare not speak without malice for fear of giving insult, that is when truth starts to die. Truth is the truest freedom.

#141491 - 07/26/08 11:24 AM Re: Do you believe? [Re: CityBoyGoneCountry]
ironraven Offline
Cranky Geek
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Vermont
Originally Posted By: CityBoyGoneCountry
By calling it an alien you are claiming to have identified it.

My policy on UFOs as well.

I don't know what they are. I've got a pretty good idea of what they aren't. And I know what I REALLY don't want them to be.

We aren't ready for that, not yet.

When a man dare not speak without malice for fear of giving insult, that is when truth starts to die. Truth is the truest freedom.

#141548 - 07/26/08 09:18 PM Re: Do you believe? [Re: TheSock]
Enthusiast

My guess is that there is other life somewhere in the universe. There are billions of planets orbiting billions of stars in the galaxy. And there are billions of galaxies in the universe. Any Las Vegas odds maker worth his job would have to bet on this one planet not being the only place where life took hold.

Some say it's amazing that life exists here. I say it would be amazing if life only exists here.

But the enormous size of the universe means that we'll never be able to explore all of it, and if there is life elsewhere, they're probably having the same problem.

#141578 - 07/27/08 12:55 AM Re: Do you believe? [Re: CityBoyGoneCountry]
wildman800 Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: La-USA
Not everybody has been so limited, I can assure you of that!

#141636 - 07/27/08 12:29 PM Re: Do you believe? [Re: Art_in_FL]
sodak Offline
Addict

Originally Posted By: Art_in_FL
[quote=CityBoyGoneCountry]
But, as you point out, just because there are wide swaths of area we know little about and some things we cannot know this doesn't justify or excuse a headlong leap into supernaturalism, wild speculation and superstition.

Faith and reason are not mutually exclusive. Many of the great scientists in the world were also men of faith. Making a "headlong leap" is a strawman.

#141643 - 07/27/08 01:05 PM Re: Do you believe? [Re: sodak]
Enthusiast

Originally Posted By: sodak
Many of the great scientists in the world were also men of faith.

Neil deGrasse Tyson wrote a great article on this subject for Natural History magazine. You can read it here:

http://research.amnh.org/~tyson/PerimeterOfIgnorance.php

The point he makes is that scientists such as Newton only invoked god when they had reached the limits of their own knowledge. Basically, they copped out.

Page 3 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 295 Guests and 21 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.