#141854 - 07/28/08 05:00 PM Re: Diapers? [Re: ]
Fitzoid Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: WI, MA, and NYC
Damn, you made me spit up my coffee with that one. grin

#141856 - 07/28/08 05:02 PM Re: Diapers? [Re: thatguyjeff]
Hacksaw
Unregistered

I wouldn't call it silly. But I don't do it.

If you're concerned about a situation like that becomming a reality learn a trade in your spare time. I've taken motorcycle repair courses by correspondance. I'm sure there are lots of barterable trades you could learn the same way.

You'll get way more bartering success over being able to fix bicycles for example than by having a hoard of diapers.

If I were in such a situation I'd much rather be known as 'the bicycle guy' over the 'diaper guy' wink

#141857 - 07/28/08 05:02 PM Re: Diapers? [Re: thatguyjeff]
Fitzoid Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: WI, MA, and NYC
I think in a genuine disaster situation, if you have supplies, it may be best to keep that news to yourself. I wouldn't put a sign on my front door saying "Ammo/food/water available!" unless you're planning on giving them away.

#141858 - 07/28/08 05:05 PM Re: Diapers? [Re: ]
Hacksaw
Unregistered

Actually this thread has gotten me to thinking.

My dad volunteers as an 'old time' mechanic at a local historical attraction. He was telling me the other day how the on site blacksmith shop is vacant this year because nobody can be found to volunteer to run it...and that the last 3 guys who did weren't actual blacksmiths anyhow.

Makes you wonder how many traditional trades are being lost like that and how valuable they could be if society had a bit of a hicup.

More curiosity than anything else. I'm the last person who's going to go out and learn how to shoe a horse just in case the world ends tomorrow.

#141859 - 07/28/08 05:07 PM Re: Diapers? [Re: thatguyjeff]
Blast Offline
INTERCEPTOR
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: TX
Quote:
What would be a good item to have a stock of that one could use for barter?

My thought is don't purchase stuff specifically for bartering. You'd be better off buying extra of stuff you know you'd use (cans of tuna, wool socks, batteries, first aid supplies, shoe laces, etc...). That would be the most effcient use of your money and storage space.

There've been some good bartering threads here. Do a search and you'll find them.

-Blast
Radio Call Sign: KI5BOG
*As an Amazon Influencer, I may earn a sales commission on Amazon links in my posts.

#141860 - 07/28/08 05:07 PM Re: Diapers? [Re: Fitzoid]
big_al Offline
Addict

Loc: 20mi east of San Diego
several boxes of matches,and some extra knifes.

Edited by big_al (07/28/08 05:07 PM)

#141863 - 07/28/08 05:13 PM Re: Diapers? [Re: thatguyjeff]
Eugene Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Well, my thought on the whole stocking up thing, is stock for yourself first. Once you have _everything_ you could ever possiblt imagine needing and then some then you can think about stockpiling for bartering.

Now once you do stock other items, what are you going to do when the poor single mother is standing at your doorstep with her 2 kids in soiled diapers with nothing to barter, are you going to turn hew away or hand her a pac of diapers. I can see being faced with the same situation no matter what you stock for bateriing, the person on the other end is going to be asking for handouts. Are you going to be able to turn whomever away? what if they outumber you?

Bartering came about in history when society was on an increse, i.e. we moved from the hunter/gathers to a more agricultural society and people started to specialize and were able to make an excess in the area they specialized. If TSHTF your doing to be in a decrease of society where your going to need everything you have. Once your into a post SHTF society long enough to where society can be on an increase then is when you think about bartering. Your not going to have bartertown the day after TSHTF because your going to have lawlessness and peiple are going to just take whatever you have at that point. Look at disasters that have heppened in recent history, the majority wants a handout not a trade.

I wouldn't call it silly but your looking at very long term preps. Bartering comes after your completely self sustainable on your farm, compound, bug out land, whatever.

Edited by Eugene (07/28/08 05:15 PM)

#141866 - 07/28/08 05:24 PM Re: Diapers? [Re: Eugene]
big_al Offline
Addict

Loc: 20mi east of San Diego

Boy Eugene it sounds like you were in the Katrina recovery crew also.

( Your not going to have barter town the day after TSHTF because your going to have lawlessness and people are going to just take whatever you have at that point. Look at disasters that have happened in recent history, the majority wants a handout not a trade.)

#141872 - 07/28/08 06:00 PM Re: Diapers? [Re: big_al]
Chris Kavanaugh Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Everybody has a preconcieved notion of what will happen in a post apocalyptic event, largely fueled by Hollywood writers who can barely navigate out of Encino. Any disaster is a interuption of services and social mores. Society will do evedrything it can to reestablish the staus quo. I can tell you what happened after hte relatively benign Northridge earthquake. Some merchants and individuals tried price gouging and hoarding of essentials.Several people were prosecuted. One Burger King in particular, who charged $2 for canned cokes was the recipient of such bad P.R. It was closed down.Peoiple have long memories. My grandparents would cross the street in the 1960s when one depression era merchant approached.

#141879 - 07/28/08 06:31 PM Re: Diapers? [Re: thatguyjeff]
Jeff_M Offline
Addict

Loc: Northwest Florida
Originally Posted By: thatguyjeff
I was reading somewhere how diapers (for infants/children, not the adult kind) were a hot commodity in situations involving interruptions in services.

Speaking from personal experience, with reference to ordinary short-term
regional disasters only, such as floods, hurricanes, earthquakes, etc., and
not TEOTWAWKI or societal collapse, I've found the following smaller items
to be much appreciated:

1. Toilet paper, always in short supply
2. Cigarettes and lighters, ditto
3. Sunblock and bug repellant, which will reduce misery considerably
4. Feminine hygiene products, which will make you a hero to the ladies
5. Lysol spray, liquid bleach, brooms, mops and other cleaning stuff, always
6. Hotel sized soaps, shampoos and other personal grooming supplies
7. Disposable diapers, moms will hug you
8. Large plastic garbage bags, a million uses
9. Pens, paper
10. Paper towels, plates, plastic utensils, and especially paper or plastic cups.

Amongst the professionals, these items are popular (in addition to the above):
11. Batteries, AA, AAA, D, C, in that order
12. Maps of the local area, street maps and urban topo maps such as those in the state "gazetteers"
13. Satellite phone and/or satellite internet access time
14. Orange spray paint
15. Duct tape

Jeff

Page 2 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Moderator:  MartinFocazio, Tyber 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 324 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.