The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 5 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
#142199 - 07/30/08 11:26 AM Re: Diapers? [Re: ]
Eugene Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Quote:
The actress Jamie Lee Curtis holds a patent on a piece of widely used diaper technology! It's a diaper that's "contents" can be pulled out all at once on the go with a piece of folded wet wipe cleaning up behind it. It's sort of a "clean as removed" diaper. But she won't let any companies use the technology until they agree to make diapers environemtnally friendly.

There are a couple brands of diapers like that with a removable center secton on the market that reduces waste.

qDaipers are one of them, you pull the insert and flush it.

Edited by Eugene (07/30/08 11:28 AM)

#142201 - 07/30/08 11:33 AM Re: Diapers? [Re: OldBaldGuy]
Eugene Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Originally Posted By: OldBaldGuy
Re hoarding diapers for barter; I think that I would have a hard time sticking (so to speak) it to a mom with kids and no diapers. If I had them and didn't need them myself (I'm not that old yet), I would give them.

And thats the main reason I don't like to store items for bartering. When that mom shows up at your door step with an armful of babies and asks for diapers and she has nothing to trade will you be able to turn her down? Then if you do give her some how many many more will turn up later?

Same with alcohol/tobacco, someone shows up asking for some and has nothing to trade, a lot of smokers/drinkers I've known can be quite nasty when they don't have their favotire drug so your putting your self in a potential situation when/if you do turn them away.

Thats why I say if TSHTF you stay low for a long time, its only after whetever event has long passed and people have settled down and have started to rebuild that you start to barter. Any short term situation will be over soon enough and if your neighbors find out you had things they needed and didn't give them away your going to have fun living next to them afterward.

#142202 - 07/30/08 11:43 AM Re: Diapers? [Re: Eugene]
dweste Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Central California
Originally Posted By: Eugene
[quote=OldBaldGuy]Thats Any short term situation will be over soon enough and if your neighbors find out you had things they needed and didn't give them away your going to have fun living next to them afterward.

So maybe it would be nice to be able to drive or sail away?

#142209 - 07/30/08 12:43 PM Re: Diapers? [Re: dweste]
Eugene Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Originally Posted By: dweste

So maybe it would be nice to be able to drive or sail away?

In my old neighborhood bugging out was the priority. I had neighbors across the street from me who were getting food donations from a local church. Then one day their trash can was knocked over and there were several un opened cans of food there so they were throwing a bunch out. Those are the kind of people I exected to show up "needing" things.

#142210 - 07/30/08 12:49 PM Re: Diapers? [Re: OldBaldGuy]
MartinFocazio Offline

Pooh-Bah

Loc: Bucks County PA
Originally Posted By: OldBaldGuy

Re cleaning cloth diapers; assuming that anyone can actually buy them anymore...

Not only have we been using cloth diapers for all of our kids (my oldest is now 9, baby 3.0 is 5 months) there's a huge range of choices out there these days. We own, oh, maybe 40 cloth diapers. Cleaning them isn't really much fun, but they work fine.

#142212 - 07/30/08 12:50 PM Re: Diapers? [Re: Jeff_M]
Rodion Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Israel
Originally Posted By: Jeff_McCann
I can agree about gov't sucking big time in a general sense. So, why do you trust SAR not to loot when they go in and out of houses, but not related responders?

My opinions are based on two things: Extensive first-hand, on-scene experience in a variaty of capacities in basically every type of natural and man-made disaster the US has experienced over the last quarter century, and my research as a lawyer and academic in this field.

It may seem unrealistic to you, but that's the way it DOES work, in broad general terms, albeit with fits, starts, hiccups, outright failures, political incompetence and other problems large and small along the way, and limitied to ordinary-scale regional domestic disasters, not truly national emergencies like all out nuclear war or asteroid strikes.

More specifically, I've run shelters, worked at shelters, supported shelter operations, and inspected shelter operations. I know shelters, at least so far as they have and do operate in the above-described situations. If somebody tries to take your stuff, which I have NEVER seen or heard happen, I advise you go get the cop that is usually standing around nearby, and RAISE HELL.

Jeff

Just to remind you: I'm from Israel.

Here be monsters.

www.kravmagafederation.com

#142292 - 07/30/08 09:15 PM Re: Diapers? [Re: Rodion]
Art_in_FL Offline
Pooh-Bah

In the very long term trading might be a viable option. But until things settle down trade can easily slide into profiteering, exploitation and abusive manipulation.

I think that if your preparing a fairly comprehensive supply base and your staying put, so weight and bulk aren't an issue, that a supply of diapers would have a place. I don't see carrying lots of sizes. I would invest in a good supply of mid-range disposables that do not use gels or other super-absorbents that mat degrade in time just to get people over the first few days. Smaller and larger children would have to make due with creative taping, pins and other field modifications.

After the first week or so, sooner if practical, the disposables would be discontinued and the kids would have to get by on a good stack of washable cotton diapers and safety pins until normal commercial sources reopen.

In a similar vein I would stock a good supply of sanitary napkins and/or tampons.

To avoid any resentments, legal issues these types of supplies would be given away or, at worse, traded on a sliding scale system according to means. People with things to trade don't get them all and those with nothing to trade are not excluded.

The diapers, disposable and reusable, have many uses other than diapering. The disposables are good for mopping up spills. The poly fiber ones are commonly used to soak up oil spills on water. The straight cotton ones are excellent wiping rags and bandages.

Sanitary napkins and tampons are effective, and cost effective, bandaging materials. As long as you don't have to carry them you can't have too many bandages.

Edited by Art_in_FL (07/30/08 09:19 PM)
Edit Reason: the first time the whole message didn't go through.

#142298 - 07/30/08 10:43 PM Re: Diapers? [Re: Rodion]
Jeff_M Offline
Addict

Loc: Northwest Florida
Originally Posted By: Rodion
Just to remind you: I'm from Israel.

Here be monsters.

Ok. Thanks for sharing your thoughts.

Jeff

#142318 - 07/31/08 01:57 AM Re: Diapers? [Re: Art_in_FL]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

Loc: Former AFB in CA, recouping fr...
"...straight cotton ones are excellent wiping rags and bandages..."

A well used cloth diaper is the BEST thing for spit shining shoes, but that seems to be a dieing art...

#142331 - 07/31/08 08:00 AM Re: Diapers? [Re: thatguyjeff]
AROTC Offline
Addict

Loc: Manhattan
I may be in the minority, but I don't think bartering is silly. Its impossible to anticipate everything you might need. Nor is it possible to store and control everything you might need. If you find yourself coming up short on something, or needing something completely unexpected, the only acceptable way to acquire it is by barter. In a disaster having somethings you would be willing to barter for things you didn't think would be important is a good idea. Ideas that top my list are cheap hard liquors, hotel sized bars of soap, and salt. But plenty of things are possible, what about nails? No one can hurt you with nails (okay, not easily), no one will hurt you for nails, but they may be valuable enough to get I don't know...mason jars for. Plus, they're cheap now.

I also don't see that a small, let me make that clear, small supply of precious metal or something else that concentrates lots of value into a small and universally accepted form is a bad idea. For something truly important, a life or limb saving antibiotic for instance, run of the mill items will not be enough to sway a person.

Likewise, ten tenth ounce Krugerrands would be a way to carry a substantial amount of wealth in an easily transported and concealed form. For people who say gold or silver will be worthless after a large scale disaster I say BS. In the worst circumstances of history gold has proven to continue to be coveted by most, though admittedly not all, people. War zones are one example. I'm not saying everyone should go out and buy Krugerrands to sell in a disaster, but I wouldn't discount the idea to rapidly.

Page 5 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Moderator:  MartinFocazio, Tyber 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 324 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.