Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 10 of 11 < 1 2 ... 8 9 10 11 >
Topic Options
#147102 - 09/02/08 04:55 PM Re: Sailboat bug out / bug in [Re: dweste]
Todd W Offline
Product Tester
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Mountains of CA
Hopefully it's time consuming and not wallet emptying eh ?

#147104 - 09/02/08 05:02 PM Re: Sailboat bug out / bug in [Re: Todd W]
dweste Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Central California
Going to be some of each, but we hope to spread out the out-of-pocket costs, reduce them by self-help where we can. etc.

#148404 - 09/11/08 08:01 AM Re: Sailboat bug out / bug in [Re: dweste]
dweste Offline
Pooh-Bah

Another interesting wooden boat day.

I met the marine engine guy about 0915 and we carted all the stuff down to the boat. By 1030 the engine was purring.

In the interim he confirmed the gas had gone bad and should not be used. That the gas tank was of Monel and about 20 gallons in size. The engine temperature was steady and about where it should be. Compression and spark plugs were at least fair in all four cylinders. The points were usable but should be replaced. The Gray Marine marking appeared to be 4-112 and he guesstimated it was about 30 horsepower. The wiring was in decent shape. After a tap or two to some packing that was loose, the propeller shaft, box, etc. looked good and did not leak. The existing impeller was putting a strong flow of seawater through the engine.

He also asked if he could look the rest of the boat over, and did so. Because the interior is fastened in a way to allow it to be “peeled” back away to expose most of the inside of the hull in the main cabin area , he looked at it the way several of us have – nothing noteworthy mentioned. He pointed out the only damp area he could find in the bilge and thought it might indicate a leaky plank fastener. He looked at the teak decking and said most of it probably could be removed, treated and re-used. Like me he found the lines, brass fittings, carvings, etc. make the boat a charmer.

Then there was the laundry list of negatives and cautions.

Primary among them was his belief the propeller shaft is slightly bent, causing vibration especially at low rpms, and seems to have loosened at least one of the wooden stringers (not a hull frame or rib) on which the engine is mounted because you can see it vibrating back and forth. Based on this he labeled the boat a liability and recommended it not be motored or sailed until a new shaft – and preferably a new engine – is installed. He recommended that along with a new engine, the boat should get a modern exhaust system, water pump, coolant lines, and electrical system components.

He pointed out the interior mast step tensioners were not tight. He thought before any serious sailing is done the mast should be unstepped and checked with all fixed and running gear replaced as a matter of principle, though no particulars damage or faults were visible. Based on his work maintaining rich folks boats, he thought ideally the boat should go into a shed-covered berth for a couple years to be sure everything could be worked on. His opinion was that spending about $40,000 should result in a great $20,000 boat, with annual maintenance in the $4,000 to $5,000 range if hired out and perhaps half that if most of it was DIY.

By the way, he just happened to have a great little used diesel that would work in the boat for about $1500 plus cost of shaft, cooling system, etc., plus labor. I didn’t get a total price for all that.

He also mentioned he works with a non-profit that accepts boat donations. He felt the boat was attractive enough they could get $5,000 to $10,000 cash for it as-is and could match the boat with an owner who could afford a restoration.

#148434 - 09/11/08 01:58 PM Re: Sailboat bug out / bug in [Re: dweste]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

Loc: Former AFB in CA, recouping fr...
So, that makes this boat a no-go for you???

#148436 - 09/11/08 02:15 PM Re: Sailboat bug out / bug in [Re: OldBaldGuy]
dweste Offline
Pooh-Bah

If I needed a perfect boat I wouldn't be looking at this one. I ask myself how long this 50 year old boat has adapted to a bent propeller shaft - if that is what is going on. I seem to recall sailboats can get along without engines if need be. And, would I take this boat if it had no engine or a blown engine?

I think if the owner let's us proceed with testing for topside leaks by watering the boat down and is willing to take the chance the boat can motor a bit so we can clear the marina and do some sailing, then we will do those two things. If what we learn from that does not kill the deal, then the next big decision is whether to spend the best part of a thousand dollars for a marine survey and haulout.

If after all that the only significant problem is the propeller shaft, well, I just do not know.

[I have asked for estimates for a new propeller shaft and replacement engine, etc.]

What are your thoughts?

Thanks.

#148444 - 09/11/08 02:41 PM Re: Sailboat bug out / bug in [Re: dweste]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

Loc: Former AFB in CA, recouping fr...
Is it possible to use an outboard motor on this particular boat? I see lots of sailboats around here with kickers on the back end...

#148504 - 09/11/08 06:25 PM Re: Sailboat bug out / bug in [Re: OldBaldGuy]
Todd W Offline
Product Tester
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Mountains of CA
Outboard if possible sounds cheapest.

You are going to need an engine to motor in and out of the marinas no matter what right? So, if you don't have one you are stuck in place technically? Is that ok with you? Do they allow that?

The house we are getting needs a BUNCH of work and like you said some things you can live w/out and others you NEED. I think as long as you can afford / plan to fix the "NEEDED" items you should be good.

-Todd

#148577 - 09/12/08 02:38 AM Re: Sailboat bug out / bug in [Re: Todd W]
dweste Offline
Pooh-Bah

Originally Posted By: ToddW
You are going to need an engine to motor in and out of the marinas no matter what right?
-Todd

No outboard will fit this design of yesteryear.

An outside berth chosen to allow maneuvering with the prevailing wind would allow no-motor sailing.

But a functioning engine is a safety feature that is a must these days.

#148582 - 09/12/08 03:12 AM Re: Sailboat bug out / bug in [Re: dweste]
BobS Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Toledo Ohio
Pull the shaft and take it to a place (a 4-wheel driveline & truck shop, or a machine shop with a press and a lathe) and have them straighten it. You are on a budget, rebuild or fix things, don’t just assume you have to buy new. The mechanic is use to working for and with people that have a very large income and lots of cash to spend. But he’s not the end all for how to fix things on a limited budget.

I have fixed lots of things that should have been replaced, and they worked great.

As far as replacing the motor? I don’t understand. If it runs and he says it basically needs points (a tune up) why replace it. It may not set a speed record, but it seems you only want to use it for maneuvering the boat while close to the dock. As long as it runs, it will do this fine.

Outboard engines are expensive and would probably cost more then having the shaft fixed. As far as modernizing the plumbing & water jackets, if it worked for all that time I would guess that as long as its sound, it will continue to work.

They say necessity in the mother of invention.

You can run, but you'll only die tired.

#148593 - 09/12/08 04:46 AM Re: Sailboat bug out / bug in [Re: BobS]
dweste Offline
Pooh-Bah

Heck, I'm not even willing to concede the prop shaft is bent, yet.

Page 10 of 11 < 1 2 ... 8 9 10 11 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 269 Guests and 21 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.