Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#141871 - 07/28/08 05:59 PM Re: Vehicle Bugout -Traffic Lights - MIRT? [Re: Nicodemus]
Fitzoid Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: WI, MA, and NYC
What no mention of seasoning? grin

And if there was ever a reason to have a pop-up, roof mounted machine gun, this is it. I wonder who upgrades those ubiquitous black customized Suburbans parked all around Wall St. Every soccer mom should have one. (If you haven't seen them, you won't know what I'm talking about.)

Anyway, from Doug's message, it looks like threads such as this one will be tolerated...

#141873 - 07/28/08 06:12 PM Re: Vehicle Bugout -Traffic Lights - MIRT? [Re: Fitzoid]
Hacksaw
Unregistered

Wow. This one is spiraling out of control fast. Good thing Am_Fear_Liath_Mor is well initiated and not a newguy or we'd have scared him off.

#141874 - 07/28/08 06:16 PM Re: Vehicle Bugout -Traffic Lights - MIRT? [Re: Fitzoid]
KG2V Offline

Veteran

Loc: Queens, New York City
Originally Posted By: Fitzoid
Hi kc2ixe,

I didn't say "someone" else's, I said "everyone" else's, not that I think it should make much of a difference. ...snip...

Well, in NYC, he can have all the MIRT he wants - won't do any good, as the traffic lights don't have MIRT sensors....
Blog: http://kg2v.blogspot.com

#141877 - 07/28/08 06:24 PM Re: Vehicle Bugout -Traffic Lights - MIRT? [Re: Eugene]
Dan_McI Offline
Old Hand

Loc: NYC
Originally Posted By: Eugene
9/11/01 I had to get into downtown and pick my wife up as we carpooled. The law firm she worked for didn't release the staff until all the lawyers were safely out of the building so she was one of the last people to leave which put us behind a lot of the traffic.

I think leaving this firm would not be able to occur fast enough. In my firm, the lawyers stayed and made sure the staff had a means to get someplace safely, mostly home, for that night. Before that two of us had gone out to get lunch for everyone, and we did try to keep people there until we knew a means of transport for them to get home, or to someone else's home at which they would be welcome, was assured.

#141880 - 07/28/08 06:39 PM Re: Vehicle Bugout -Traffic Lights - MIRT? [Re: Dan_McI]
Eugene Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Problem was she didn't know what happened. There were rumors going around of buildings being blown up and people being evacuated and the staff started calling their managers who said there was no ok to evacuate. It wasn't until later we found out that the staff were held until the lawyers were evacuated.
So from then on I've had a distrust of the people in charge, unless someone is a LEO with the ability to arrest me then I'm not following orders, I'll ignore all the security personal if I think I know a better way.

#141884 - 07/28/08 06:56 PM Re: Vehicle Bugout -Traffic Lights - MIRT? [Re: Fitzoid]
BobS Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Toledo Ohio
Originally Posted By: Fitzoid
This thread should be deleted (and I hope it is), but in the event it isn't, why do you think your life is more valuable than everyone else's?

I agree!

But my life is more valuable to me then others lives are. But at the same time I know their life is valuable to them then mine is to them. One would hope we (all of us) would not do things that would put others life in danger of harm or death because we don’t value others lives.

It’s probably not a super critical thing to wait a few min for a light to change.

You can run, but you'll only die tired.

#141885 - 07/28/08 06:59 PM Re: Vehicle Bugout -Traffic Lights - MIRT? [Re: MartinFocazio]
wildman800 Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: La-USA
Back in 1979 - 1981, I got around fantastically on a 10 speed bike. Having a car in the city was a pain in the butt to me. My car stayed parked on (St. George) Staten Island unless I was going grocery shopping. Even on (St. George) Staten Island, everything but the grocery store was within easy walking range.

If I lived in any of the other 4 boroughs of NYC, I would be counting on either a bike (w/a trailer), a boat, or both, as a Bug Out Vehicle.

All the ways out of the city will be jammed up against anything bigger than a pedaled or motor bike.

The waterways will be fully accessible if you own a boat. If the boat has a cabin, you've a motel room with you as well. Bicycles can be stowed on such a sized boat and taken with you as well.

#141890 - 07/28/08 07:27 PM Re: Vehicle Bugout -Traffic Lights - MIRT? [Re: wildman800]
Dan_McI Offline
Old Hand

Loc: NYC
I think the difficulties of getting out of NYC illustrate the importance of being ready to move NOW. I don't want to live out of my BOB and hope I never need to do so, but it's there, ready right now, and I can leave and count of it for a few days. Being ready to move allows you to do it, right now, not wait and pack.

If you can do it carrying your BOB, that allows you to be more flexible in your choice of transportation. If need be, I am prepared to grab any form of mass transit that will take me out of NYC and immediate danger, or huff it. Huffing it maybe slower, but it can work. Jumping on a subway and then walking might be an option.

In addition, you need some idea about where you can go. What are the likely disasters? What risks does each present? What are your options for a safe haven? Once you have that figured out, think about how can you get to your possible safe havens. A car and metro-north railroad are great options for me, depending on timing. If everyone is leaving or wants to leave, I know the car is not as good an option. Metro-north should be a good option. If it is not, the subway, Amtrak and PATH trains become things I consider. Bugging in is always an option.

#141911 - 07/28/08 09:36 PM Re: Vehicle Bugout -Traffic Lights - MIRT? [Re: Dan_McI]
wildman800 Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: La-USA
Another option in the NYC Evacuation Plan is to load 6000 persons on each ferry and then they run to Albany, NY via the Hudson River.

They are to then return to NYC and pick up another load for another run.

Problem: Unless some major changes have been made, there isn't any facilities in Albany, NY to care for NYC's population. Albany's big advantage, as a destination may be limited but there are many roads out of Albany to the rest of the country.

#141924 - 07/28/08 10:21 PM Re: Vehicle Bugout -Traffic Lights - MIRT? [Re: wildman800]
Fitzoid Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: WI, MA, and NYC
It occurs to me more clearly why this thread sooo pisses me off.

This is not a website about survival of the fittest or survival of the cruelest or survival of the best-armed.

It is a website about personal responsibility and preparing in advance for unfortunate but foreseeable situations. Many people here volunteer their time and risk their lives helping others in various disasters. If safety were my only goal, I'd go hole up in a cave somewhere.

For someone to post a question essentially asking, "how do I screw everyone else to save myself?" runs counter to every decent impulse and what many of us believe in. Sorry if I sound like a preacher, but this post reminds me of that clown who wanted to run around in the woods and didn't care that SAR personnel might risk their lives to save him. Why was his soul-quest more important than their lives? I don't see the difference here.

Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 324 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.