Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#141713 - 07/27/08 09:57 PM Knife lanyards and water in the car...
JohnE Offline
Addict

Loc: Southern Cal
2 questions, what are people's thoughts about having a lanyard on a fixed blade knife? I can see where you would want to avoid dropping it but I'm also thinking of those times when it might not be such a good thing to have a very sharp fixed blade being tossed about at the end of a piece of paracord, ie, while in a boat/kayak, if one should slip and take a fall, wouldn't it be better to risk losing the knife rather than risk having it become very attached to your body, blade first so to speak?

Next, pretty obvious but I'm always willing to take good advice, what's an ideal way to store a couple of gallons of water in a vehicle? Tried using the sealed plastic bottles it came in but they started leaking. I want something that can be well sealed, will hold at least a gallon ea. and that I can store easily.

John E

"and all the lousy little poets
comin round
tryin' to sound like Charlie Manson"

The Future/Leonard Cohen

#141714 - 07/27/08 09:59 PM Re: Knife lanyards and water in the car... [Re: JohnE]
Nishnabotna Offline
Icon of Sin
Addict

Loc: Nebraska
A sheath is a good way to store a knife so it's not so pointy. Lanyard can still be attached.

#141716 - 07/27/08 10:07 PM Re: Knife lanyards and water in the car... [Re: JohnE]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

Loc: Former AFB in CA, recouping fr...
It kinda depends on how you use the lanyard. The only fixed blade I have right now with a lanyard is my Randall Model 5. The loop of paracord is adjusted so that I can put my thumb thru it, then have the lanyard go across the back of my hand to the butt of the knife in my hand. If I let go of the knife, it will hang by the lanyard, but if I want/need to get rid of the blade, all I have to do is shake my hand, or just point my fingers down, and it will slide off. That method is a hold over from the old police sap and lanyard on a baton days, where you didn't want an object tied to your wrist. Some badguy could get hold of the sap/baton and swing you all over the place...

#141776 - 07/28/08 12:19 PM Re: Knife lanyards and water in the car... [Re: JohnE]
Kurt_W Offline
Stranger

John,

I don't store gallons but I store a dozen or so 1/2 liter bottles of water in a cooler in the car. Provides leakage protection and when I am on long trips I just throw a bag of ice in there and have cool water for the trip.

-Kurt

#141861 - 07/28/08 05:09 PM Re: Knife lanyards and water in the car... [Re: JohnE]
nurit Offline

Loc: NYC
John,
For home water storage I use and really like the GI Runt. Holds 2.5 gallons, very sturdy, the water tastes fine even after six months. Cost about $19 per container but well worth the money IMO. Brigade Quartermasters carries it (sorry, I haven't yet learned how to post a link).

#141867 - 07/28/08 05:30 PM Re: Knife lanyards and water in the car... [Re: Nishnabotna]
JohnE Offline
Addict

Some good ideas, thanks all.

One point, I know that a knife resides in it's sheath when it's not being used, I was talking about the possibility of accident when using it attached to a lanyard. Might be worrying about nothing but I have a mental picture of using the knife and then something happening, tripping, boat moves, etc. and suddenly you've got a very sharp knife dangling at the end of a tether where one could easily roll onto it or end up impaled on it.

Like I wrote, it might be worrying about nothing that's why I'm asking.

John E

comin round

The Future/Leonard Cohen

#141875 - 07/28/08 06:18 PM Re: Knife lanyards and water in the car... [Re: JohnE]
Hacksaw
Unregistered

Personally John, I'd take my chances. Getting a cut minor cut, which will heal, is way better than having to go it alone in the bush without any knives. A dangling knife isn't likely to do much damage unless you're swinging it madly and it happens to hit something edge first.

A proper lanyard is going to be short enough that you could re-grip the knife without much thought...if it's hanging a foot away from your hand where it can be swung or kicked it's too long.

I go back and forth with lanyards with a typical love/hate relationship. I like them but sometimes they get in the way. I've been thinking about trying to weave a bit of a keychain thing out of bright (para)cord. I get the advantages of the bright color so I can see it if I drop it, I get something to suppliment my grip and help protect from slips but I can drop it if I have to and it's less likely to snag on stuff.

I've also tried using elastic bungee cord for lanyards. Holds it to your hand when you need to but a stiff flick of the wrist will set it free. It's also less prone to snags because there's less actual loop to catch on things when it's not stretched.

Bottom line is that there are lots of options and you really need to test them out to be sure. I have some knives that I love using with a lanyard and some that I would never put a lanyard on. Either because of the way I use them or the way I carry them.

#141921 - 07/28/08 10:14 PM Re: Knife lanyards and water in the car... [Re: ]
SwampDonkey Offline
Veteran

Loc: Northeastern Ontario, Canada
I ocassionally use a lanyard of a fixed blade knife if I am using it in a situation where I may loose it, but usually I find they get in the way.

I do have another use for a lanyard though, to get my folding knife out of my coat pocket in the winter. I find that in the winter when I am bundled-up in heavy clothes it is hard to draw your knife from a belt sheath, so I keep a folding knife in my coat pocket. Then the trouble is that my big pockets are full of other stuff and it is hard to find the knife, expecially with gloves on. So what I do is attach a 2 foot (arms length) piece of paracord to my knife (lately a German Military SAK) and to the button-hole of my right chest parka pocket. It makes it easy to withdraw the knife with one hand (even without opening the pocket), and I don't loose it. The added benefit is that people rarely ask to borrow your knife because it is attached to you. A fixed-blade knife carried in a sheath suspended by a neck lanyard (like Mors Kochanski) would serve the same purpose, but would draw a lot more attention (unwanted in my case).

I have another very small knife that I keep in a new EDC mini-kit I am working on, the knife fits in a slim pocket and was hard to draw, so I attached a small figure-8 knot of paracord to it and now it is much easier to get it out of the pouch. I have been working on this new kit for a couple months but started carrying it before I completed it, thats why I have not posted it on the forum, maybe I will finish it soon.

Mike

#141995 - 07/29/08 03:32 AM Re: Knife lanyards and water in the car... [Re: nurit]
JohnE Offline
Addict

Originally Posted By: nurit
John,
For home water storage I use and really like the GI Runt. Holds 2.5 gallons, very sturdy, the water tastes fine even after six months. Cost about $19 per container but well worth the money IMO. Brigade Quartermasters carries it (sorry, I haven't yet learned how to post a link).

Thanks "Nurit" for this referral. It's a bit more money than I was planning on spending but it looks like it will fit just about perfectly in the space I've got.

It's tough trying to organise a Subaru wagon with what I need to work as well as with the emergency/survival stuff I need. I work as an onsite medic and have to bring my own kit of supplies/equipment to every job. A full size backboard takes up a fair amount of space in a car for those who don't know...;^)

John E

comin round

The Future/Leonard Cohen

#142030 - 07/29/08 01:31 PM Re: Knife lanyards and water in the car... [Re: JohnE]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

Loc: Former AFB in CA, recouping fr...
Runts are tough. I have carried one in the back of our vehicle for several years now. It has a few dings in it now, but never leaks. They are worth the money, in my opinion. If you have the room, go for the five gallon size.

Here is a link to the BQM site...

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (Ren), 394 Guests and 57 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Yesterday at 01:15 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Amanda Nenigar found dead
by Phaedrus
04/05/24 04:39 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.