The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 12 < 1 2 3 4 ... 11 12 >
Topic Options
#141772 - 07/28/08 12:00 PM Re: 100 Pushups [Re: MRPrice]
unimogbert Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Colorado
If you want to be able to do lots of pushups that's the way to go about it.

How many pullups can someone do if they can do 100 pushups?

I bet some muscle groups are missing their fair share of workout such as the complete set of abs and lower legs.

I got fired up a few years ago and got some SEAL workout tapes and books. Kicked my own ass in the gym several times a week and was sore for a year. Put on muscle mass, lost body fat, never been stronger. (Then some life events killed the flame for a long time so I relapsed.)

Be careful where you put your hands!

#141774 - 07/28/08 12:14 PM Re: 100 Pushups [Re: Blast]
Blast Offline
INTERCEPTOR
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: TX
So it sounds like this has potential. My main drive is to increase my upper body strength to help with kayaking, canoeing and lifting my girls. I already do 15 minutes of yoga and 40 minutes of cardio every other day. I figured this would help balance out those exersizes.

*sigh* I guess now that I stated it publicly I'll need to go through with it. shocked Want me to keep you posted on the results?

-Blast
Radio Call Sign: KI5BOG
*As an Amazon Influencer, I may earn a sales commission on Amazon links in my posts.

#141782 - 07/28/08 12:57 PM Re: 100 Pushups [Re: Blast]
Dan_McI Offline
Old Hand

Loc: NYC
I think it's a great idea. You might inspire me to try it. I exercise, but I've never tried something like this.

But, it's not a complete program. First, your yoga and 40 minutes of cardio are a great practice that should not be given up.

If you do this, and why not, try to add some exercises to balance the work. Your kayaking and canoeing is going to help balance some of the work, because they should both be working your trapezius and rhomboid muscles. Many of the exercises that work these muscles are called rows, because that is the motion they use, pulling the resistance into your body by using the muscles in your upper back. If you added some pull-ups you'd have the makings of a darn good routine. If you cannot do more than one or two pullups, you could try to do some on angles and do some pulldowns, with some rubber bands if not weight.

#141784 - 07/28/08 01:12 PM Re: 100 Pushups [Re: ]
Arney Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: California
Originally Posted By: Troglodyte007
Tearing muscle fibers and the subsequent healing process is how muscles get bigger, and thus stronger.

I agree, your body isn't going to adapt unless you push it beyond its usual limits. But for someone just starting a routine like this, whose muscles and tendons aren't accustomed to push up's, pushing yourself enthusiastically hard in the very beginning is just going to cause a ton of soreness, possibly an injury, and a high chance of quitting the program at that point. As I also said, once you're accustomed to doing the push up's, you can start pushing yourself harder without risking as much soreness. At that point, going for the burn isn't going to make you so sore the next day that you're going to quit the program.

Your point about strength versus endurance is well taken, but again, for someone just starting on the program who isn't already doing any strength training, they will be building strength in the beginning. Only after they reach a certain number of reps does this program really turn primarily into a muscular endurance program. Of course, at that point, you can just start piling the cats onto your shoulders while you do the push up's (Don't laugh, I've seen some pretty heavy cats over the years! grin )

#141785 - 07/28/08 01:18 PM Re: 100 Pushups [Re: Arney]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

Loc: Former AFB in CA, recouping fr...
I can just see Blast doing pushups with the demon cat on his back...

#141796 - 07/28/08 02:23 PM Re: 100 Pushups [Re: OldBaldGuy]
Hacksaw
Unregistered

Rest and diet are important parts of muscle building (one is addressed by this program but the latter doesn't seem to be focused on). Muscles get bigger and stronger as a result of healing the damage done by exercise. If you don't rest, the muscles never get a full chance to grow back to their strongest. Also, if your diet isn't suitable, the muscles won't build to their full potential.

#141815 - 07/28/08 02:58 PM Re: 100 Pushups [Re: Blast]
Troglodyte007
Unregistered

Yes, all very well said, it is important to familiarize yourself with a routine that includes rest, nutrition, and setting realistic limits, especially where ligaments and tendons are concerned, such as the lower legs. And remember to stretch adequately before any exercise in order to let the muscles know to be relaxed and therefore fully flexible. Otherwise they could rip a tendon or ligament. Also, proper form is how injuries are avoided as well. Another thing to be aware of is that too much repetition, especially in the beginning and more especially if done improperly, can lead to very painful and debilitating joint inflammation. Avoid excessive pressure on the joints. If any motion is painful, stop, find out why, take the time to heal, and do it right next time. The human body is complex and anyone interested in mastering it should learn all they can prior to and at their own realistic pace.
I'm mostly talk though.

Edited by Troglodyte007 (07/28/08 03:09 PM)

#141817 - 07/28/08 03:01 PM Re: 100 Pushups [Re: Blast]
SwampDonkey Offline
Veteran

Loc: Northeastern Ontario, Canada
Interesting program Blast, I applaud you for attempting it. Please keep us in the loop, it may encourage me to get off my lazy b*tt and start exercising again.

Brief Fitness Story. My teenage son was trying to achieve a higher level on an annual fitness program so he started a "regular" push-up/sit-up routine. This is what his young mind came up with; every time he used the washroom "cost" him so many push-ups or sit-ups. The reps increased each day and after 2 months he was able to do 50 to 60 push-ups or sit-ups consecutively.

It worked, that he year moved from Bronze level fitness to Gold in the annual testing.

Mike

#141892 - 07/28/08 07:51 PM Re: 100 Pushups [Re: BlueSky]
jaywalke Offline

Loc: Appalachian mountains
Burpees hurt! My trainer makes me do those. I would not want to mess with anyone who could do a hundred of those without stopping.

#141906 - 07/28/08 09:06 PM Re: 100 Pushups [Re: jaywalke]
GarlyDog Offline
τΏτ
Old Hand

Loc: The People's Republic of IL
Good post Blast. Thanks!

Page 2 of 12 < 1 2 3 4 ... 11 12 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 276 Guests and 9 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Yesterday at 11:47 PM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Yesterday at 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.