Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#141316 - 07/25/08 11:39 AM Re: I used 3 litres of water today [Re: dougwalkabout]
comms Offline
Veteran

Loc: Mesa, AZ
That is a great experiment. I gather you are just looking at expenditure as if there was no more potable water in your area.

Have you or will you attempt to find water resources and purify them to refill your stock while your using your BOB? In your area, situationally dependent, I think it would be highly important to find replenishment, either through nature or assistance.

I imagine that you would have tablets, iodine or some sort of filter in your kit at home or on the move.

I suppose lastly, and it may be off topic, but when a disaster is looming or just past and your staying at home, fill up your bathtub for an additional 30-50 gallons of useful water that would already be stored in your pipes and tank.

#141662 - 07/27/08 02:29 PM Re: I used 3 litres of water today [Re: BruceZed]
Brangdon Offline
Veteran

Loc: Nottingham, UK
Originally Posted By: BruceZed
In the wilderness doing any kind of work I think 4 to 6 litres per day is the level of water consumption we should consider the norm for planning purposes.
I was interested in the "shelter in place" scenario, especially of the kind where I can't actually leave the house (eg because of quarantine).

Quote:
This article may be of some interest: http://boreal.net/Research/water-balance.shtml
It might be, if it had references. As it is it makes bold, scientific-sounding statements with nothing to back them up. For example, "300ml of water is sent to the urinary and digestive tract for each 1L consumed. 500ml is sent to the urinary and digestive tract when you consume caffeinated beverages, such as coffee." This contradicts what is written on other sites, eg from http://www.pponline.co.uk/encyc/caffeine-dehydration.htm:
  • A similar study considered the effects on hydration of different levels of caffeine consumption (5). Eighteen healthy men consumed each of four different drinks: pure water, water plus cola, water plus diet cola and water plus coffee. Body weight, urine output and blood samples were measured before and after each treatment, and there were no significant differences in the effect of the various combinations of beverages on hydration status.
I'm afraid the Boreal article, as written (were you the author?) doesn't carry as much credibility because it doesn't describe original experiments or cite references to such. And of course, my own experience wins. I have measured what I drink on other occasions, living my mundane working life, and it usually comes to about 1 litre per day.

Edited by Brangdon (07/27/08 02:34 PM)

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  MartinFocazio, Tyber 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 458 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
Yesterday at 10:40 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.