Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#141637 - 07/27/08 12:33 PM BONY Bag
Kurt_W Offline
Stranger

So next month my step-daughter leaves for college in New York City. Being the preparedness minded guy I am my going away gift for her is a BONY bag - Bug Out New York bag. In thinking about this, knowing her, and doing some research I made the following assumptions:
1. She will not carry around a BOB/EDC kit, so this is designed for a notice event or post event evacuation. In other words it will be stored at the bottom of her closet and hopefully dug out in an emergency.
2. The college has an emergency plan in place to take care of students, which will take care of most normal issues (short term power outages, dorm fire, etc). This kit is for her to use if she has to evacuate the city.
3. It is not designed for holing up and waiting the incident out (for more than 24 hours). I considered such a kit but decided that a)there is very limited room in dorms and b)college students will eventually eat any food in the room, pre-disaster and c)If it is that bad she needs to get to the school shelter or evacuate the city.

With that in mind I built the kit around an old laptop backpack. The kit goes in the laptop section, with the main section empty so she can put in a change of clothes before running. On the outside is a laminated red card that says what to do:
1. Attempt once to call home / text msg home with evac. plan
2. Change into comfy clothes, shoes and socks
3. Put change of clothes into backpack
4. Fill canteen (yes, I didn't put survival water packets in - see assumption 1)
5. Leave

The kit contains:
Can opener
Canteen (fill with water before leaving dorm)
Small roll of duct tape
2 Dust masks
Facial tissues
First Aid kit
Flashlight w/extra batteries
Hand sanitizer
Pocket knife
Map of NYC area
Money
NJ transit ticket to our home station (we live in NJ)
Notepad
Survival Nutrition bar
Pen
Telephone calling card
Poncho
EOD Breacher Bar (also doubles as a defensive weapon)
Radio w/extra batteries
Rope (Paracord)
EMT scissors
2 12 hour chemical light sticks
2 Emergency blankets
2 Scarves (dust/cold protection)
Whistle/compass/matches combo

I didn't put in a subway card because a)they expire and b)she will have one on her normally. There is another laminated card with emergency contact phone numbers and a list of the contents, and a 3rd laminated card with 6 alternate evacuation routes.

Hopefully she will never need it,
-Kurt

#141639 - 07/27/08 12:46 PM Re: BONY Bag [Re: Kurt_W]
CityBoyGoneCountry Offline
Enthusiast

You're worried about college students eating emergency food, but not spending emergency money?

#141645 - 07/27/08 01:20 PM Re: BONY Bag [Re: Kurt_W]
Fitzoid Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: WI, MA, and NYC
Originally Posted By: Kurt_W
I built the kit around an old laptop backpack.

You'd have a lot more luck if you built the kit around a Prada BOB. grin

As there is no practical way to evacuate a city as crowded as NYC (my home town and frequent destination), I suspect people would be hunkering in rather than bugging out in most emergencies. I don't even want to think about situation where they'd try to evacuate Manhattan. Gives me the shivers...

#141653 - 07/27/08 01:53 PM Re: BONY Bag [Re: Kurt_W]
ironraven Offline
Cranky Geek
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Vermont
Odds are the school's emergency plan also includes evacuation procedures. As a parent, you might have to work your way up to a dean, but someone will eventually give you that information if you brow beat them enough.

The only thing I did NOT like in this was the whistle/compass/match case combo. It is the brittle feeling orange plastic, with a tiny flint a dry compass ones, right? Those things are the bane of my existence, they wish they could suck. An o-ringed GI type match case works much better, then add a decent small whistle and compass. Heck, one of the better compass/thermometer zipper pulls will be better than what is on the match case combo if it is what I think it is.

Thoughts... put in good socks and a sweater or sweatshirt. Add an electronic light stick, even one of the cheap Garrities- they last longer and can be turned off. Can the canteen take a cup- if so, get one. Spork. Lighter. A AA-powered recharger for her cell phone. Work gloves. Earplugs. Spare glasses if needed, or safety glasses. A contractor bag and a few quart and gallon freezer bags. Photocopies of her birth certificate, immunization record, health insurance card, drivers liscence, school ID if she has it yet, and her passport if she has one. A list of contact numbers for credit card and insurance companies.

I do have to echo CityBoy's thought about emergency money. I was older than most and ready for something to go wrong, and I had was forced to chose between reaching into the emergency fund in my bail out gear or not having wheels. Rural college, you need wheels. Urban college... what would you NEED? Other than bus/subway token or card, and good hiking shoes?

And the big scourge of dorms is illness. She's had her Hap-B and meningitis shots, right? If she hasn't had chicken pox, talk to the doc about the advisability of getting her that one to if she hasn't. Heck, while you are at it, shots for everything, right up to rabies and plague. She'll love you for it :P And a flu shot this fall.

When a man dare not speak without malice for fear of giving insult, that is when truth starts to die. Truth is the truest freedom.

#141660 - 07/27/08 02:22 PM Re: BONY Bag [Re: ironraven]
KG2V Offline

Veteran

Loc: Queens, New York City
I'll second the shots, although today many colleges require shots

If you don't mind me asking - which borough is the college? It would be very different is she is say, out at St Johns (eastern Central Queens) and say at NYU Downtown

Even though metrocards expire, I keep one around in the BOB - and replace them every 6 months or so (they are usually good for about a year), and then use the card I took out of my gear - cheap insurance

Payphones still exist in a lot of NYC (becoming rare, but not totally gone - thow a roll of quarters in that BOB)

The biggest thing you can give her is "Mindset". I remember the 2003 blackout (or was it 02?). As I walked home, I had water, and a tin of altoids. Got about 4-5 miles into the trip, and I stopped for that bottle of water - boy was it good, and I must have gotten asked 20-30 times where I got it. Had to tell folks "I had it with me" - got another 2-3 blocks, and found a company that had turned on their hose bib for folks to drink - refilled the bottle. Someone had actually asked me why I had not thrown it out..

Oh - there is another item you can add to the BOB (is she actually going to be able to carry this kit?) - a sillcock key. They are used to turn on most "non tamper" hose bibs. (I carry one of those, and in my truck I have a real NYC Fire Hydrant wrench - later that night I was working with the Red Cross handing out drinks/water and we ran out of water - and of course there was no wrench on the truck - they had to send a supervisor with a wrench - yes they are authourized. In fact, the Salvation Army canteens here in NYC actually have Fire Dept placards and numbers, so they can cross fire lines (and have red flashers)

Anyway, mindset, and believe it or not - friends with a compatible mindset. 2-3 people working together are a LOT better than one person working alone. Have her make friends not only with other people in her school, but if she can, some "locals" (heck if it's Saint John's I'm fairly close)

Oh - a few more "mind hints" - if your feeling tired while bugging out - EAT (I mentioned drinking, but I totally forgot about my emergency rations and was beat - when I finally ate, I felt SO much better). If she sees a Salvation Army Canteen or a Red Cross ERV parked, don't shy away to walk up and ask for some water/a snack. That's what they are there for - they will just hand them to you if they have it (I've been assigned as a ham to both - I've NEVER seen anyone charged - although I've heard rumors on the internet). The thing is, don't expect ot see either of them on the road in NYC for about the first 2-3 hours after the disaster - for instance, most of the Red Cross trucks are stored in Queens - they are going to have to get there, and more importantly, the volunteers have to get there (as there is usually 1 crew on duty). They are going to have troubles too
Blog: http://kg2v.blogspot.com

#141664 - 07/27/08 02:38 PM Re: BONY Bag [Re: Kurt_W]
wildman800 Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: La-USA
I have read over all of the posts that have gotten here thus far. I too have a daughter in college out of town (LSU/Baton Rouge). I have provided her and her BF with BoB's.

They have pretty much the same gear that you have provided. I hadn't thought about a roll of quarters (which I carry in my BoB) but I will take care of that TODAY, since they are here in town. There are many vending machines around towns/cities and many of them may still be working when a snack or a cold drink would be most welcome. Many soda vending machines now carry bottled water so they could easily supplement their supply.

I think the laminated card with instructions on it is perfect for a young, inexperienced person who might find themselves in a deep doo-doo situation for the first time without Mom or Dad next to them.

#141666 - 07/27/08 02:51 PM Re: BONY Bag [Re: Kurt_W]
Arney Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: California
That's a good kit. Your child is lucky to have a thoughtful parent like you. Just some random thoughts:

In the summer, the heat, humidity, and sun can be brutal if she needs to do a lot of walking or even just waiting around outside. I'd add sunscreen. A hat might not be something that she thinks to grab when she's gathering clothes if she normally doesn't wear one, although I suppose the scarves (thick wooly ones?) would do in a pinch. Water could be an issue, so just one canteen might not be enough. That's a tough call since water is so heavy. She could tire herself out just carrying extra water, particularly if she needs to hoof it out of the city.

Is she really going to use a poncho during a downpour? She'll be a hip little New Yorker by then, y'know. A small, but sturdy umbrella might be rain protection that she would be more likely to actually use. She could always leave it at her dorm if it isn't the rainy season. I really like my compact GustBuster umbrella. Super sturdy. After every windy storm, the sidewalks and garbage cans are littered with broken umbrellas, so a sturdy one is a must. Oh, and it could also double as sun protection in the summer.

I'd throw in a couple more flashlights, although not necessarily with a full set of extra batteries for each. She'll be with friends, hopefully, but chances are, a cell phone is the closest thing to a light source that anyone else will have. And when you're in NYC during a blackout, there are a lot of situations where you'll be in the dark, even during the day. Extra lights could really be handy for her to give out. Nothing fancy. Heck, even keychain lights would be better than nothing. I could easily imagine her traveling with a group of other classmates from NJ heading basically the same way to get out of the city and light is quite critical.

If they're available for her cell phone, one of those AA-powered external batteries (the Charge2Go is one example) would help keep her in touch for longer, particularly if her phone was already low when she needed to bug out. Personally, just based on my experience living through a number of events in NYC, including 9/11, having a radio to get information and a charged up cell phone to communicate were very comforting. Lack of information and the inability to communicate produce a lot of stress.

I might throw in some more snacks. During a long trek, the last thing you need to be is grumpy and frazzled from low blood sugar and stuck somewhere where you can't buy anything to eat. And again, there's a good chance she'll be with friends who might really need a little nutritional pick me up, too.

#141668 - 07/27/08 02:58 PM Re: BONY Bag [Re: wildman800]
dweste Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Central California
Put in more food she wouldn't eat if / until her life depended on it, maybe just more survival bars - whatever she is sure to find gross.

Water treatment supplies.

Multi-tool.

Hide some money inside laminated labels or card; maybe in several places. Do not tell her it is there.

Include a do-not-open-unless-it-is-an-emergency letter. In addition to whatever words of love and wisdom, tell her where to find some of the hidden money.

Keep the location of some of the money out of the letter so you can do something positive to help her over the phone, email, whatever.

Copy of id.

#141696 - 07/27/08 07:00 PM Re: BONY Bag [Re: dweste]
Rodion Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Israel
1. What kind of a FAK is it? Does it come with a SAM splint? Moleskin? Anything that could expire?

2. I gotta say, something like pliers and a SAK could come in handy in the Cloverfield scenario you envision. If someone sees a knife in your daughter's bag, she may get in some major trouble. Then again, she's a woman and may not be searched thoroughly; whilst a knife may save her life.

3. Does the roll of quarters come in a leather bag with a lanyard? If not, it ought to. wink

4. Like ironraven said, that combo thing is no subsitute for a real compass and whistle. I do keep my matches in one, but the fancy stuff is just gravy.

5. Fire starter. It's small, light and it makes sparks. Why not?

Finally, you've got me beat in the storage department: packing all that stuff and leaving room for clothes is impressive.

Originally Posted By: dweste
Hide some money inside laminated labels or card; maybe in several places. Do not tell her it is there.

Include a do-not-open-unless-it-is-an-emergency letter. In addition to whatever words of love and wisdom, tell her where to find some of the hidden money.

Keep the location of some of the money out of the letter so you can do something positive to help her over the phone, email, whatever.

Sarah, your decision to share the MRE with Greg (who, might I add, slept with Jessica while you were here on vacation last Summer) dissappointed me. I will now withdraw a quarter of my loan to you.

*loud boom from inside the BOB*

I hope that in the future, you will make wiser choices.

Love,
Your Watchful Father

www.kravmagafederation.com

#141698 - 07/27/08 07:11 PM Re: BONY Bag [Re: Kurt_W]
Fitzoid Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: WI, MA, and NYC
Oh, just thought of one thing to mention that's germane both to girls and to college students.

Do not evacuate, especially on mass transportation, in open-toed shoes or flip-flops. That's a guaranteed recipe for broken/bruised toes or worse.

Have a solid pair of shoes. (Steel toed boots would be nice, but that's surely being overly optimistic.)

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (SRMC), 332 Guests and 70 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.