The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#141510 - 07/26/08 02:16 PM Re: CASH TALKS BS WALKS [Re: OldBaldGuy]
SwampDonkey Offline
Veteran

Loc: Northeastern Ontario, Canada
I am about the same as OBG, I keep $100 to $200 in my wallet and am a believer that cash does really help "Seal the Deal". I also keep $25 in my other wallet (Credit Card / Work ID Wallet) just in case I loose/forget my main wallet.

The problem I have is that my DW never carries much cash, so when she needs some, she just takes it from my wallet (which is stored on top of the fridge). I usually know when she has done this (she never closes it correctly) but it can leave me short at times.

We have coins in Canada now up to $2 and I usually spend this at coffee shops. Last Christmas my son bought me a swipe card for use at my favourite coffee shop (Tim Hortons) I keep it on the visor of the truck and it is much easier than digging for change when using the drive thru.

Mike

#141511 - 07/26/08 02:27 PM Re: CASH TALKS BS WALKS [Re: ponder]
SwampDonkey Offline
Veteran

Loc: Northeastern Ontario, Canada
In our house we one Credit Card to buy almost everything from stores, the reason is the "Rewards" program. Almost one percent of our purchases is rewarded back in points, I convert these points into Registered Retirement Savings Program products at our Bank, then claim the deduction on my income tax (kind of a win/win I think).

I should also add that we do not carry a balance on the cards so there is no interest charges.

But it does need electricity and the Credit Card system to be running to function, so I carry cash also.

Mike

#141522 - 07/26/08 03:20 PM Re: CASH TALKS BS WALKS [Re: SwampDonkey]
dougwalkabout Online   confused
Crazy Canuck
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Alberta, Canada
Retailers don't give discounts for cash any more (at least up here), so just about everything goes on the credit card. Like Mike, I either get Air Miles points or 1% back, so it's a better deal (I pay off the entire balance every month).

A lot of gas stations still have manual card machines for backup, despite the fraud risk. I've never been stuck yet. Interac would be another matter.

If I'm travelling anywhere, I'll have at least $100 and preferably $200 in cash. I avoid using Interac in fast food places etc. because of the amount of double-swiping that goes on.

I also keep $20 hidden in each car for emergency gas / coffee / food should I or DW lose our cards or wallet. I should bump up that amount -- twenty bucks doesn't buy much gas any more.

#141527 - 07/26/08 04:05 PM Re: CASH TALKS BS WALKS [Re: dougwalkabout]
Kris Offline
Addict

Loc: A Canadian Back in Canada
Originally Posted By: dougwalkabout
Retailers don't give discounts for cash any more (at least up here...

The only place i know that still gives discounts if paying by cash are chinese restaurants, mainly in north america. East to West of Canada and the USA, 90%+ of chinese restaurants i've been to will give you a discount if paying by cash.

Why just them, no idea... but a few more people will pay by cash if this option is avaiable (not the ones living off of credit cards, but the few of us out there that see an opportunity to save a little coin)... I know I would.

#141531 - 07/26/08 04:55 PM Re: CASH TALKS BS WALKS [Re: Kris]
JohnE Offline
Addict

Loc: Southern Cal
I have always found that cash has a way of clarifying things...

John E

"and all the lousy little poets
comin round
tryin' to sound like Charlie Manson"

The Future/Leonard Cohen

#141539 - 07/26/08 05:49 PM Re: CASH TALKS BS WALKS [Re: SwampDonkey]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

Loc: Former AFB in CA, recouping fr...
"...I also keep $25 in my other wallet..."

I forgot all about the $20 bill I keep in the little pocket in my Tilley hats (one of which I wear all the time), for the very same reason...

#141543 - 07/26/08 05:57 PM Re: CASH TALKS BS WALKS [Re: ironraven]
Sherpadog
Unregistered

Originally Posted By: ironraven
I'm willing to bet he can't answer that any more than I can say why the systems I support go down. Privilaged information, half the time it comes back up without explination of what happened from up top.

I don't work for the company I mentioned above however you are correct, they do not always volunteer as to why their network went down...bad publicity.

Sometimes we get lucky though and their rep will tell us it was caused by a number of reasons such as a software upgrade gone south, a critical switch bit the dust, server(s) meltdown, DNS problems and many more reasons.

#141544 - 07/26/08 06:02 PM Re: CASH TALKS BS WALKS [Re: KenK]
Sherpadog
Unregistered

Originally Posted By: KenK
I just heard about a new credit card scam being pulled on gas stations around here.

Credit card thieves climb on the roof of a gas station, use aluminum foil to cover an antenna used to send/receive credit card info, the credit card readers stop working, gas stations start doing manual credit card transactions which allow thieves to use stolen cards without being discovered, and by the time a repair person arrives and finds the foil-covered antenna the thieves are long gone with cars full of gas.

Do you have a verifiable and reliable source for this? I would be interested in reviewing such information....

#141552 - 07/26/08 10:03 PM Re: CASH TALKS BS WALKS [Re: ]
Arney Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: California
I also saw this in the news. Crazy guys. All that trouble for a tank of gas? Well...filling up your fullsize pickup can be mighty painful these days.

Anyway, one place to read about it is here .

#141554 - 07/26/08 10:16 PM Re: CASH TALKS BS WALKS [Re: ]
Am_Fear_Liath_Mor Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Quote:
Sometimes we get lucky though and their rep will tell us it was caused by a number of reasons such as a software upgrade gone south, a critical switch bit the dust, server(s) meltdown, DNS problems and many more reasons.

Maybe they had reached their credit limit and had no money left for a short period of time until someone got on the phone and asked for a line of credit from the Fed.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (SRMC), 332 Guests and 70 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.