Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 3 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >
Topic Options
#141033 - 07/23/08 06:59 PM Re: Getting women interested in outdoor survival skill [Re: dweste]
Blast Offline
INTERCEPTOR
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: TX
Quote:
So, you thinking maybe killing and canning chicken as a first "date"?

No, blood shouldn't be involved until at least the third date.

-Blast, (aka Romeo of the Woods)
Radio Call Sign: KI5BOG
*As an Amazon Influencer, I may earn a sales commission on Amazon links in my posts.

#141035 - 07/23/08 07:10 PM Re: Getting women interested in outdoor survival skill [Re: dweste]
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Ontario, Canada
Originally Posted By: dweste
Hey, bacpacjac, what works for you that might also work for others?

I grew up camping, backpacking, hiking, canoeing, etc... so it's natural for me. My husband did too so we're a great fit and are now sharing that with our kids.

I've got friends who are interested and some that aren't. But I've noticed the preparation mindset creeping in on those with little or no interest. A keyring flashlight here, a first aid kit there, a bit more food in the pantry...

Getting outdoors and roughing though, that's a different story!

You can find me on YouTube here:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT9fpZEy5XSWkYy7sgz-mSA

#141036 - 07/23/08 07:11 PM Re: Getting women interested in outdoor survival skill [Re: Blast]
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Ontario, Canada
Originally Posted By: Blast
Quote:

LOL!! Great advice Blast!!

You can find me on YouTube here:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT9fpZEy5XSWkYy7sgz-mSA

#141038 - 07/23/08 07:17 PM Re: Getting women interested in outdoor survival skill [Re: bacpacjac]
dweste Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Central California
Originally Posted By: bacpacjac
Originally Posted By: dweste
Hey, bacpacjac, what works for you that might also work for others?

Getting outdoors and roughing though, that's a different story!

Can we talk about that?

#141039 - 07/23/08 07:19 PM Re: Getting women interested in outdoor survival skill [Re: bacpacjac]
dweste Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Central California
Originally Posted By: bacpacjac
Originally Posted By: Blast
Quote:

LOL!! Great advice Blast!!

But will quoting Blast's Rules do an offending guy any good?

#141087 - 07/24/08 12:27 AM Re: Getting women interested in outdoor survival skill [Re: dweste]
Roarmeister Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Saskatchewan, Canada
I don't mean to be sexist here but it seems to me that women have a different shade of glasses on when they look at the world as compared to men.

As nursemike says "Women are as interested in survival issues as men are-they just see survival in a more realistic fashion. They tend to prepare for things that will be likely to kill you, like health and traffic-rather than things that are less likely to happen, but more fun to work on, like dog packs and civil unrest."

To that end I will paraphrase an article by a well-known female car enthusiast that holds up a real life example of the difference in the way men and women see cars.
http://autos.canada.com/news/story.html?id=0e55fae1-452b-4f1a-8f23-e3dc5412e783
When a man sees the CHECK ENGINE light come on - he thinks, "Drat, the emissions control is on the blink again. I'll get it serviced next time I'm in for an oil change." When a woman sees the CHECK ENGINE light come on she thinks, "OH NO, the engine is about to die and leave me stranded on the side of the road!!!" The author also singled out North American auto makers (and specifically Ford) of being the most vague with it's idiot light. It sends out the wrong message. In reality, it just means that something in the emissions controls is a little out of sync and some anonymous error number pops up - hardly anything to panic about. And yet that's not how it is being interpreted.

That article blew my mind!!! I had absolutely no idea that it would be interpreted that way. I'm not a fan of idiot lights in the first place but I at least thought that most people thought along the same lines when the see them.

Therefore in order to get women interested in "survival" topics you have to speak in the language as they think in. smile I, however, am not a good interpreter of that language. smile smile

#141105 - 07/24/08 01:38 AM Re: Getting women interested in outdoor survival skill [Re: Roarmeister]
nursemike Offline
Old Hand

Loc: wellington, fl
A wise woman once said "if it has tires or testicles, you are going to have trouble with it."

It is as silly to try to talk about things that are true of all women as it is to do so about all men. The variations within the genders are wide. I spent thirty years in a predominantly female profession, and have spent lots of time listening to women. If you wish to gain fluency in the language of women, you gotta listen to them. Not talk at them. Assume that they are wiser than you are in lots of respects (they usually are) and assume that they have spent much of their lives being talked at by men (they usually have). Their role in society is different than ours: we have to keep the house in good repair, they have to make it into a home. They are phenomenally good at what they do, and they are all very beautiful. Some more so than others, but they are all beautiful. AS RAH said, "they have so much of what we have none at all". God bless them all.

#141108 - 07/24/08 01:52 AM Re: Getting women interested in outdoor survival skill [Re: nursemike]
BobS Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Toledo Ohio
Albert Einstein got married and divorced. If the smartest man that ever lived can’t figure out woman, what makes you think any of us can????

You can run, but you'll only die tired.

#141110 - 07/24/08 02:10 AM Re: Getting women interested in outdoor survival skill [Re: BobS]
wildman800 Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: La-USA
I think the greatest bit of wisdom that I have come up with is this: Don't try.

Accept her for what she is, show her respect, and ignore those times when it's not returned.

#141112 - 07/24/08 02:12 AM Re: Getting women interested in outdoor survival skill [Re: nursemike]
Roarmeister Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Saskatchewan, Canada
Jeepers Mike. You can "suck up" with the best of them! smile
Sorry, but your response came across as a bit too flattering to women. I'll be the first to admit that women do a lot of things better than men and very specifically BETTER THAN ME! But there are a lot of things that men do better. But short of swapping out bodies, there is no way on earth that I will ever really understand women (the lovely creatures that they are) no matter how much time I spend with them.

I work in a traditional male dominated profession and yet I have 3 female bosses (Supervisor, Manager and President) that have very different priorities and ways of doing business than I do. Sometimes it's frustrating like beating my head against a brick wall.

Page 3 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (Herman30), 166 Guests and 31 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03:13 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by Ren
06:35 PM
Silver
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/13/24 10:09 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Amanda Nenigar found dead
by Phaedrus
04/05/24 04:39 AM
Any shortages where you are?
by adam2
04/04/24 04:19 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.