The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >
Topic Options
#140926 - 07/23/08 07:21 AM Getting women interested in outdoor survival skill
dweste Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Central California
Many of the fair sex do not jump at the chance to spend a day or two in the wilderness, much less spending that time engaged in learning survival skills in less than luxurious conditions.

Sometimes this is just fine with me; a little male bonding and all that.

But then I meet a charming woman with whom I would like to share outdoor survival experiences. Leaving aside my personal deficiences and their contribution to the situation, what has worked for you in this regard?

Thanks.

Edited by dweste (07/23/08 07:22 AM)

#140937 - 07/23/08 10:57 AM Re: Getting women interested in outdoor survival skill [Re: dweste]
AROTC Offline
Addict

Loc: Manhattan
Find out her physical fitness level and take her on a day hike that doesn't challenge it. I like to bring a semi-gourmet spread and maybe a stove for making hot chocolate. If you know a good place, show her a pretty view. If you can do it during a season relatively free of biting bugs and check the weather forecast so it doesn't rain. Make it a date the first couple of times so she enjoys it, then see if she would consider a hardier adventure.

#140964 - 07/23/08 01:42 PM Re: Getting women interested in outdoor survival skill [Re: NightHiker]
BobS Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Toledo Ohio
Or give up on having a woman in your life and then you will begin to enjoy a peaceful life.

PS the statement above comes from a divorced guy…
And loving it.

PPS all you woman out there this post is meant as humor (sort of…)

You can run, but you'll only die tired.

#140966 - 07/23/08 01:49 PM Re: Getting women interested in outdoor survival skill [Re: BobS]
Hacksaw
Unregistered

Based on my experience as a motorcycle rider training instructor, the best thing we ever tried was a class of all women for getting the ladies into riding.

We found that many women were hesitant because it was a stereotypically male passtime. The consensus seemed to be that they didn't want to be seen as weak or incapable infront of guys or were worried about prejudice from the males in class.

We did some test classes of all women at a bike show one year (about 15 ladies at a time) and they were some of the fastest, strongest, best behaved, and funnest classes we ever ran...surprised us all actually. I'm not teaching anymore but I heard that they're going to be trying the same thing with the 'over 50' crowd. I bet there will be similar results.

In your example you're talking about a single person so this might not apply...but it's still food for thought if the opportunity comes up.

#140968 - 07/23/08 02:44 PM Re: Getting women interested in outdoor survival skill [Re: ]
nursemike Offline
Old Hand

Loc: wellington, fl
Women are as interested in survival issues as men are-they just see survival in a more realistic fashion. They tend to prepare for things that will be likely to kill you, like health and traffic-rather than things that are less likely to happen, but more fun to work on, like dog packs and civil unrest.

For me, it is generally more successful to find out what interests the woman and head in that direction, rather than try to get them going in my direction. It is not all about me. and managing women is like herding cats.

Nighthiker and hacksaw offer sage advice. Alternatively, if you really want to mix survival and love, look for a partner with skills that complement your skills: a doctor, nurse or paramedic if your medical skills are rudimentary, a skilled cook if you are not one-like that. To my way of thinking, love is so bloody rare in this world that it is self-defeating to set up a lot of pre-love criteria. Good relationships often occur in folks of differing interests, ying meeting yang.

Thus endeth the 'Dear Abbey" element in the ETS forum.

#140974 - 07/23/08 03:04 PM Re: Getting women interested in outdoor survival skill [Re: nursemike]
Hacksaw
Unregistered

Those are good points too Mike.

My DW has zero interest in survival skills. It's not something we share. But she loves the fact that I am because she feels much safer because of it when we go camping and hiking...it's anything but a barrier between us...if anything it's the opposite.

#140975 - 07/23/08 03:05 PM Re: Getting women interested in outdoor survival skill [Re: nursemike]
dweste Offline
Pooh-Bah

It would be good to hear from some of the female members of our community.

#140983 - 07/23/08 03:24 PM Re: Getting women interested in outdoor survival skill [Re: dweste]
nursemike Offline
Old Hand

Loc: wellington, fl
The female members cannot respond because they are laughing too hard to type-

#140984 - 07/23/08 03:25 PM Re: Getting women interested in outdoor survival skill [Re: nursemike]
dweste Offline
Pooh-Bah

Not again ....

#140991 - 07/23/08 03:41 PM Re: Getting women interested in outdoor survival skill [Re: dweste]
Am_Fear_Liath_Mor Offline
Carpal Tunnel

I would recommend watching the film 'Carry on Camping' to gain some in sight into the subject of this thread.

A short clip from the movie.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pnHO9hGt3Pw&feature=related

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 324 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.