Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#141351 - 07/25/08 02:51 PM Re: Colored flashlight for tracking [Re: BobS]
Hacksaw
Unregistered

Originally Posted By: BobS
Originally Posted By: dweste
I now I saw something about this here but cannot find it using the search function.

My understanding is that having colored light (red, green, blue, etc.) can aid in tracking. I asked about that on another Yahoo Group and it was explained that if you use a light which is close to the color of the surface you are trying to track on, then tracks and their shadows stand out better. [Use green on grass, red on dry pine needles, yellow on sand, etc.]

I also recall someone saying blue makes blood show up better.

I thought I remembered Hacksaw having something to say about this. So, what's up with using colored light for tracking?

Thanks.

I think you are reading way too many end of society survival books and have an over active imagination as to what will likely be a survival situation a person will realistically encounter&#133;

I think tracking is a valuable survival skill Bob...and I think it has nothing to do with TEOTWAKI. I don't see how dwestes post gave you that impression.

#141352 - 07/25/08 02:57 PM Re: Colored flashlight for tracking [Re: BobS]
dweste Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Central California
Originally Posted By: BobS
I think you are reading way too many end of society survival books and have an over active imagination as to what will likely be a survival situation a person will realistically encounter…

Always possible.

Then again: it is fun, animals routinely visit food and water sources that may not be obvious to someone not familar with an area, setting snares or hunting can be more successful if you know where the critters wander by everyday or can find their night resting places, you might want to locate someone who is not "found"or lost a piece of gear somewhere "back there", you might need to backtrack yourself if you are suddenly not "found" or lost a piece of gear somewhere "back there", and you cannot track well without practice. But that's just off the top of my head.

#141354 - 07/25/08 03:09 PM Re: Colored flashlight for tracking [Re: dweste]
dweste Offline
Pooh-Bah

Second thoughts:

Tracking is far more than just looking at the ground. It is developing a heightened awareness of the evidence of "what happened here" all around us.

I am still a babe in the woods, but already I can sit and begin to figure out the "track" of: birds in the air (they are creatures of routine so they fly the same routes over and over), past avalanches, geological events like earthquakes and glacier passage, high water of lakes and rivers, and animals who left hair, nibble marks, scrapes and clawmarks on trees, brush, and plants etc.

It may seem a bit crazy, but it is all there like a book for us to read. And I spent most of my life just not looking.

So if a piece of gear can make tracking easier and faster, then I am interested.

Edited by dweste (07/25/08 03:11 PM)

#141359 - 07/25/08 03:47 PM Re: Colored flashlight for tracking [Re: dweste]
dweste Offline
Pooh-Bah

You are already tracking everyday anyway.

You can tell by the way the table is set who did it, who drove the car last by the seat adjustment and the radio station that comes on, who used the toilet last by whether the seat is up or down, who was in the refrigerator by what package is left open and what container is closest to the outside, whether someone is upset by how the car is parked, and a thousand other clues that tell you "what happened here."

Tracking outdoor is just more of the same, but the "tracks" just happen to be different.

#141368 - 07/25/08 04:24 PM Re: Colored flashlight for tracking [Re: NightHiker]
MDinana Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Beer&Cheese country
in my experience, color rendition is the opposite, Do NOT use red when looking for red stuff, etc. I used a red LED on a map one night in the car, couldn't see the road's for sh*t. Even the blue lines of waterways were tough to find, but at least readable. Anything with red ink was gone.

#141369 - 07/25/08 04:25 PM Re: Colored flashlight for tracking [Re: NightHiker]
dweste Offline
Pooh-Bah

Jennifer on eastbaytrackers Yahoo Group mentioned success at using ultaviolet light to highlight urine.

#141372 - 07/25/08 04:28 PM Re: Colored flashlight for tracking [Re: MDinana]
dweste Offline
Pooh-Bah

Originally Posted By: MDinana
in my experience, color rendition is the opposite, Do NOT use red when looking for red stuff, etc. I used a red LED on a map one night in the car, couldn't see the road's for sh*t. Even the blue lines of waterways were tough to find, but at least readable. Anything with red ink was gone.

As I understand it, and will soon be testing, that is the idea: wash out the background color so the shadows of tracks stand out. Use yellow on sand and the sand "disappears", for example.

#141377 - 07/25/08 04:44 PM Re: Colored flashlight for tracking [Re: NightHiker]
dweste Offline
Pooh-Bah

So now all I need to find is an LED multi-color and UV combo keychain-sized, solar-rechargeable, waterproof light.

Anybody already got one?

#141379 - 07/25/08 04:55 PM Re: Colored flashlight for tracking [Re: dweste]
Hacksaw
Unregistered

My 10 color LED flashlight doesn't have UV but I carry a UV Photon on a key ring attached to the same light. It won't throw much light but it's handy for things like that. It will also light up some spiders and scorpions which could be handy before you go poking and proding in some matted grass 6 inches from your face.

I should also note that I'm Red/Green color blind so the application of color likely won't work the same for me as it does a person with normal vision. This is something I'm still trying to figure out and why I got a light with so many colors...what works for me might differ from accepted standards.

#141380 - 07/25/08 05:04 PM Re: Colored flashlight for tracking [Re: dweste]
Arney Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: California
Originally Posted By: dweste
Anybody already got one?

All that and keychain sized! LOL! That's a tall order. Besides the Gerber Carnivore, there's also the Gerber Recon. Has white LED and red, blue, and green filters. Runs off 1xAA, which you could charge with a solar charger. Water resistant. No UV, though. Cheaper than the Carnivore. Definitely not bright, but I'm assuming that you don't necessarily want bright when you're tracking something at night.

You could add UV capability by getting something like an Inova X1 or X5. The X1 is also a 1xAA light.

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  MartinFocazio, Tyber 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 269 Guests and 21 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.