Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 12 of 15 < 1 2 ... 10 11 12 13 14 15 >
Topic Options
#140918 - 07/23/08 05:49 AM Re: Getting a handgun and all that goes with it [Re: Chris Kavanaugh]
BrianB Offline

Originally Posted By: Chris Kavanaugh
Readers may want to do a websearch for the late Jim Cirillo of the NYPD stakeout squad.

I remember reading a his articles a long while back. It's a shame that he was taken by an auto accident. =(

#140942 - 07/23/08 11:46 AM Re: Getting a handgun and all that goes with it [Re: dweste]
HerbG Offline

Choosing the handgun and accessories is the easy part. Learning to use it effectively and safely is the single most important step in being a handgun owner. Handguns are harder to master than either rifles or shotguns, and it requires practice and more practice. I think you are very wise to let your brother help you with that phase.

#141243 - 07/24/08 10:30 PM Re: Getting a handgun and all that goes with it [Re: Russ]
comms Offline
Veteran

Loc: Mesa, AZ
For CQB at home or as a Bug Out weapon as you designed this post to discuss, a handgun would not be the first choice for me. A better option might be a 12ga with a short barrel for the home and longer barrel for Bugging Out or in my thoughts hunting. The boom alone is crowd control, especially in a house. There is more functionality with optional barrels and rounds to cover both your requests.

For a handgun, any weapon, obviously first know what you can buy in your area, know the laws, definitely be schooled and don't skimp on the accessories.

Don't be led by other peoples like or prejudices. Handle a lot of pistols in every shape and caliber. Go to a range and shot as many as you can. Some people love Glock, others hate the feeling and the safety. Some people love/hate 9mm, others think .45 are over rated. Some will feel to top heavy, others perfect in your hand but not so much on your hip.

For a first time hand gun, a Ruger GP100 has been mentioned. Owned one, loved it. Great revolver in .357 caliber.

A lot of what you will should consider in home defense is directly related not so much to the caliber you use but the clarity of your voice and action. If you can, first call 911. Then let the vandal know the house is occupied, your armed and police are in route. Remember what they are wearing and look like for description to the police.

#141252 - 07/24/08 10:54 PM Re: Getting a handgun and all that goes with it [Re: comms]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
Ahh yes, forewarn your opposition by telling them "I have a gun".

A bad guy knows he's bad. He knows breaking in your door is against the law. Bad things happen in the breaking and entering trade. Getting shot from ambush by a homeowner's 12 gauge shotgun is one of those bad things. I see no compelling reason to give any advantage to a bad guy by telling him where I am or that I'm armed. That will become very clear shortly after the door fails.

#141262 - 07/24/08 11:44 PM Re: Getting a handgun and all that goes with it [Re: Russ]
comms Offline
Veteran

Loc: Mesa, AZ
True Russ, you don't want to give to much away, but you also want to present the right posture, that of a determined defense. A commanding voice and the racking of a slide is a tremendous deterrent.

dweste in the beginning of the post wanted info on a handgun for home defense, which most of us agree is not the best option. A 12ga is by far the wiser choice. But assuming that dweste has not had any physical or mental training in home defense or CQB, then calling 911 and telling the burglar that they need to leave is not out of the box of normal.

The reality is victims of home break ins, (aside from most people who read these forums), will be scared out of their minds if they hear a break in of their house and not going to lie in ambush quietly waiting for someone to come into their sight alignment to blast them away. I think most of us would prefer to walk in the room, say Hasta la vista and pull the trigger.

But the normal civilian is most likely going to unconsciously turn on a light, make a noise walking across a room or arguing with their family that someone is in the house, grab their defense weapon, rack that slide back hard or pump that foregrip with authority and defend their home.

Burglars will know rather quickly if someone is home or not, telling them you're armed is one more defense measure. Burglars are usually but not always looking for easy opportunities, not confrontation.

If were talking a rapist or abductor caught in the act...well I think we all know we'd shot first, comment second.

Off subject but, to validate I think what Russ is saying is true, Joe Horn thankfully wasn't charged for defending his neighbors house.

#141286 - 07/25/08 12:50 AM Re: Getting a handgun and all that goes with it [Re: comms]
BobS Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Toledo Ohio
I read an interview of several burglars that were in jail serving time that they would rather face a cop then a homeowner with a gun. They know a cop has a whole set of conditions he has to meet before he can draw and fire his gun. A homeowner is not restricted nearly as much. Homeowners are more likely (at least in the criminals mind) to shoot the criminal then a cop.

So I disagree that it’s a bad idea to let the bad guy know you have a gun and offer up proof by working the action of a shotgun. If it can defuse the situation and get him to stop and run, you are better off.

I have never shot anyone with a firearm, I have no question I could if my life was in danger. But at the same time if I can convince the bad guy to run off and then let the cops deal with finding him it’s better then shooting him.

I don’t see letting him know that I’m aware he’s in my home, and I know it and have a gun and I called the cops as a bad thing to do. No normal person wants to kill another, even if it’s a criminal.

Edited by BobS (07/25/08 12:51 AM)

You can run, but you'll only die tired.

#141289 - 07/25/08 01:01 AM Re: Getting a handgun and all that goes with it [Re: BobS]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

Loc: Former AFB in CA, recouping fr...
If I recall correctly, burglaries in Kennewick, GA (did I spell that correctly?) dropped like a rock when they passed a law requiring every household to have a gun...

#141292 - 07/25/08 01:13 AM Re: Getting a handgun and all that goes with it [Re: OldBaldGuy]
BobS Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Toledo Ohio
My parents go to Florida every winter since 1991, my dad remembers when Florida passed a concealed carry law for Florida residents. The crime against Florida residents went down. But it went up against vacationing people. This was downplayed in the media according to what my dad told me, they didn’t want this info harming the flow of tourist dollars.

You can run, but you'll only die tired.

#141299 - 07/25/08 03:55 AM Re: Getting a handgun and all that goes with it [Re: BobS]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

Loc: Former AFB in CA, recouping fr...
Yeah, if I recall correctly, driving a car with rental plates was assured a robbery/jacking/whatever...

#141304 - 07/25/08 05:48 AM Re: Getting a handgun and all that goes with it [Re: comms]
Arney Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: California
Originally Posted By: comms
Joe Horn thankfully wasn't charged for defending his neighbors house.

Sure he was charged, with homicide.

Page 12 of 15 < 1 2 ... 10 11 12 13 14 15 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 449 Guests and 12 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Zippo Butane Inserts
by NAro
Today at 11:57 AM
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:21 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.