Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#141315 - 07/25/08 11:36 AM Re: Bear Grylls Nosquito Shirt. [Re: Leigh_Ratcliffe]
Nicodemus Offline
Paranoid?
Veteran

Loc: Virginia, US
I've said it before, if someone can sell an item with their name on it and they can get a higher price for that item because their name is on it, more power to them as long as their not hurting anyone.

Regarding Bear representing himself "as is", on numerous occasions there have been reports that he has misrepresented the danger in situations, has misrepresented the locales he's filming in, has stayed in hotels, used special effects and so on. And there's quite a bit of evidence that these "so-called allegations" are true and that's strait from the show's crew. Instead of taking on these attacks and denying them the producers and show's crew have admitted the truth behind them and in the end "Man vs. Wild" as a show has changed to include disclaimers, edited scenes, changed voiceovers and more. If these things affect his credibility then that's his own fault not some "disloyal" whistleblower's.

At first I hated "Man vs. Wild" because Bear is reckless, but now I cut him some slack because the show is less about "what to do in a survival situation" and more about "what crazy things will Bear do in this situation". It's "Bear Grylls vs. His Wild Side".

Still, if anyone asked me to suggest materials on Survival and Bushcraft I'd point to Les Stroud and Ray Mears works before I'd even think about Bear.

And yes. I admit fully that I like both Ray Mears and Les Stroud and respect them more as Survivalists and Bushcraftsmen (if that is a word). That's my preference. If I find out they've pulled some kind of fakery I'll respect them less and talk about it a lot.

That's my grace of purity and how it's applied across the board.

#141318 - 07/25/08 11:47 AM Re: Bear Grylls Nosquito Shirt. [Re: Leigh_Ratcliffe]
CityBoyGoneCountry Offline
Enthusiast

Originally Posted By: Leigh_Ratcliffe
Although I notice from another post on this forum that Les is starting to change his tune about how much gear you need.

The whole premise of Survivorman is what to do if you get stuck in the wilderness without much gear. I really don't see much point of having a TV show where Les Stroud is basically just camping for a week.

#141324 - 07/25/08 12:32 PM Re: Bear Grylls Nosquito Shirt. [Re: CityBoyGoneCountry]
BillLiptak Offline
Enthusiast

I personally don't have a problem with any of them designing and hawking items. They are businessmen after all. Although I do have a problem with Bear's knife at 350£....over 700 USD. Little bit out of realistic reach for the average guy, compared to say, Doug Ritter's MK 3 at under 200 USD.

-Bill Liptak

#141457 - 07/26/08 12:49 AM Re: Bear Grylls Nosquito Shirt. [Re: Leigh_Ratcliffe]
Stu Offline
I am not a P.P.o.W.
Old Hand

Loc: Finger Lakes of NY State
Originally Posted By: Leigh_Ratcliffe
Originally Posted By: Stokie
Doth mine eyes deceive me or do I detect a Bear fan?

Yes & no.

Yes: because I think that he is exactly what he claims to be. The so-called allegations against him smack of a deliberate attempt, by an individual who committed what amounts to deliberate gross disloyalty, to smear him and destroy his credibility. I also think that he comes a lot closer to the spirit and intent of this site than Les Stroud does. Although I notice from another post on this forum that Les is starting to change his tune about how much gear you need.

No: because his style comes across as being a bit O.T.T. for some people. Exaggeration for emphasis not withstanding that is.

I also think that some members of this forum are being two faced about various matters.

Like:

It's quite acceptable for Ray Mears to market the Woodlore knife on his website but it's not acceptable for Bear to develop his own knife and market it. Why is that?

It's quite acceptable for Ray Mears and Les Stroud to write and market books. but it's not acceptable for Bear to do that. Why is that?

It's quite acceptable for Ray Mears and Les Stroud to support themselves off their effort's and to trade on their names. but it's not acceptable for Bear to do that. Again, why is that?

In other words, gentlemen, if your going to insist on "purity" have the grace to apply it across the board.
+100

#141557 - 07/26/08 10:26 PM Re: Bear Grylls Nosquito Shirt. [Re: Am_Fear_Liath_Mor]
bat69 Offline
Journeyman

Loc: Fl, USA
the $50 one of course....

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 444 Guests and 28 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.