The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#140953 - 07/23/08 12:44 PM Re: Motorcycle & a new rider [Re: ]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

Loc: Former AFB in CA, recouping fr...
Well yeah, those are basically designed to hold earphones, mike, visor, and protect your noggin from bumping the walls in a rough flight, not skiddin' down the road at 70mph, or broadsiding a left turning car...

#140956 - 07/23/08 12:54 PM Re: Motorcycle & a new rider [Re: unimogbert]
Hacksaw
Unregistered

You can buy full motorcycles with CVT transmissions like in a Snowmobile that look like a Harley (I can't remember the name however). You can also buy scooters which are motorcycle sized like the Suzuki Burgman. The 600cc model is every bit capable. I've had one over 100mph.

#140957 - 07/23/08 12:55 PM Re: Motorcycle & a new rider [Re: ironraven]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

"...I'm wondering the same kinds of things, mainly due to gas prices..."

I don't know about the little scooters, but back in one of the '70's gas crunches I considered a smaller (500cc or so) full sized murdercycle, only for saving money. I had an 18 mile commute to work, one way. I was looking at a used bike from a friend. I don't recall the actual numbers now, but after figuring out the mileage of the bike as opposed to my Toyota P/U, additional insurance cost, helmet cost, etc etc etc, I would have had to ride that thing to work every day, night and day, rain or shine, eight months of the year for something like five years before I started to break even. Assuming that I lived that long...

#140958 - 07/23/08 12:56 PM Re: Motorcycle & a new rider [Re: ]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

"...I've had one over 100mph..."

If you do that often, can I have your knives???

#140960 - 07/23/08 01:02 PM Re: Motorcycle & a new rider [Re: OldBaldGuy]
Hacksaw
Unregistered

Compared to all but the most efficient modern cars, motorcycles still win out on efficiency.

Most new cars are guzzlers anyhow. I really gets me worked up when I see a Chevy commercial bragging about how many of their cars get 30+ MPG. My 91 Mazda Protege got 41mpg until the day I sold it with almost 300,000km on the odometer. There aren't many cars you can buy today new which are that good on gas and aren't a hybrid.

Neither of my bikes are that good on gas but are close despite one of them being a sport bike and the other being 25 years old.

Scooters are super efficient. A small (50cc or smaller) scooter in good condition being ridden normally (and not flat out all the time, everywhere) could get 100 mpg. I've heard estimates of about 85mpg from 'real world' driving from people I know who commute on them.

#140973 - 07/23/08 03:04 PM Re: Motorcycle & a new rider [Re: ]
nursemike Offline
Old Hand

Loc: wellington, fl
We call them donorcycles cuz they provide us with a constant harvest of young, healthy livers and lungs and things. Bones and skin, not so much. Be sure to fill out the organ donor form and have it posted prominently in your wallet. Ideally, we would request a chest tattoo, but some of the organ banks disqualify the tattooed for fear of blood borne illness. And on behalf of all the organ recipients out there, a warm and (transplanted) heart-felt thanks-

#141164 - 07/24/08 01:23 PM Re: Motorcycle & a new rider [Re: nursemike]
Themalemutekid Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: New Jersey
I've been thinking of getting one of these for my commute. What do you guys think?
MP3 500

#141169 - 07/24/08 01:36 PM Re: Motorcycle & a new rider [Re: Themalemutekid]
Hacksaw
Unregistered

Derbi came out with a very similar model a few years ago. I had a chance to ride one. If you've never ridden it would be fine. If you've ridden before, it would be awkward at first because of the way it handles. The bike leans but the front wheels stay flat on the ground.

If it's like the Derbi, below a certain speed the wheels lock somewhat to hold you upright so you don't need to put your feet down. Made me feel very uncomfortable.

The biggest concern I had was that one of the things which holds a bike steady in the corners is the gyroscopic enertia of the front wheel being pushed into the corner...which this scooter there is none of that as they don't lean. That also puts all the turning force lateral on the tire which could compromise traction.

#141172 - 07/24/08 01:43 PM Re: Motorcycle & a new rider [Re: ]
Stokie Offline

Loc: Paris, France
I've see hundreds over here, it's the commute bike of the moment, strangely one of it's selling point is it's stability. Never riden and have no intention of trying but there are about 20 in our car park at the moment I'll ask one of the owners their opinion.

#141191 - 07/24/08 03:32 PM Re: Motorcycle & a new rider [Re: Blast]
BigToe Offline
Journeyman

Right on, Blast. I've been riding for 36 years and tumbled to the MSF safety courses early on. I take the Experienced Rider Course every 3-4 years and always walk away feeling that it is time well spent. There is inevitably some skill learned or reinforced that saves me in some way in scary situations.

My oldest son rides and the first thing he did was take the MSF course. Same with my wife. I recommend the MSF courses highly and believe every rider should take them regularly.

An additional benefit is that I enjoy riding even more due to an increased confidence level.

Blast, what did you ride and why did you give it up?

My aged stable:
1976 BMW 750 R75/6
1973 BSA 500 B50MX
1974 Honda 250 Elsinore

- Andy

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 324 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.