Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 5 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >
Topic Options
#141234 - 07/24/08 09:17 PM Re: Getting women interested in outdoor survival s [Re: nursemike]
Dan_McI Offline
Old Hand

Loc: NYC
Originally Posted By: nursemike
I like that approach. Sort of an engineer's take on human resource management. BF Skinner did some work in this area back in the sixties, called it behaviorism. Behaviorists dispense with all the psycho-analytic talk therapy stuff and go directly to a stimulus-behavior- positive/negative reinforcement sequence.

I like calling it an engineer's take. Good term. Thanks, nursemike.

As far as the psycho-analytic talk, I think you know a lot more about it than I do. I've seen both men and women be out-of-control, hormone-fueled individuals. When in my 20s and 30s, I won't say I always avoided hormone-fueled women, which seemingly has not hurt me. Some of those encounters, well . . . .

But, IMO, for most of us that have no serious issues, the positive/negative reinforcement stuff works fine. People have been using it only for a few hundred generations.

I realize some people need the assistance of someone fully versed on psycho-analytic talk in order to deal with things in their own minds.

#141246 - 07/24/08 10:34 PM Re: Getting women interested in outdoor survival skill [Re: dweste]
ironraven Offline
Cranky Geek
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Vermont
I've been waiting to post on this....

My mother built her first BoB, with help, when she was six.

My sister's idea of a good time is camping with a hammock and a tarp and didn't freak when she woke up with a rattlesnake sharing her sleeping bag.

My ladyfriend has a tote of bug out gear loaded, and empty tote to fill, along with cat carriers, that she can load and be gone with in under an hour if she has a hurricane inbound.

So... I can't help any one. I just wanted to share. *laughs*

When a man dare not speak without malice for fear of giving insult, that is when truth starts to die. Truth is the truest freedom.

#141254 - 07/24/08 10:56 PM Re: Getting women interested in outdoor survival skill [Re: ironraven]
dweste Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Central California
Easy for you to laugh.

#141256 - 07/24/08 10:57 PM Re: Getting women interested in outdoor survival skill [Re: ironraven]
Blast Offline
INTERCEPTOR
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: TX
Yes, but does she kill chickens for you while you are out kayaking with ESSBers? grin

-Blast
Radio Call Sign: KI5BOG
*As an Amazon Influencer, I may earn a sales commission on Amazon links in my posts.

#141274 - 07/25/08 12:20 AM Re: Getting women interested in outdoor survival skill [Re: Blast]
ironraven Offline
Cranky Geek
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Vermont
No.

She's had three cases of food poisining- once on beef, once on chicken, once on fish. She's a ovolacto veggie as a result. :P

When a man dare not speak without malice for fear of giving insult, that is when truth starts to die. Truth is the truest freedom.

#141319 - 07/25/08 11:53 AM Re: Getting women interested in outdoor survival s [Re: Blast]
nursemike Offline
Old Hand

Loc: wellington, fl
Originally Posted By: Blast
Yes, but does she kill chickens for you while you are out kayaking with ESSBers? grin

-Blast

Love means never having to pluck your chicken?

#141321 - 07/25/08 12:08 PM Re: Getting women interested in outdoor survival skill [Re: dweste]
CityBoyGoneCountry Offline
Enthusiast

Originally Posted By: dweste
Many of the fair sex do not jump at the chance to spend a day or two in the wilderness, much less spending that time engaged in learning survival skills in less than luxurious conditions.

Hide your credit cards in the woods.

#141327 - 07/25/08 12:44 PM Re: Getting women interested in outdoor survival skill [Re: ironraven]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

Loc: Former AFB in CA, recouping fr...
"...she woke up with a rattlesnake sharing her sleeping bag..."

I don't freak easily, but that might do it!!!

#141328 - 07/25/08 01:02 PM Re: Getting women interested in outdoor survival s [Re: ]
GameOver Offline
Journeyman

Loc: VA, USA
I'm in agreement with BigDaddyTX here. My wife had no experience camping or outdoors. We got our daughters involved in Girl Scouts and she decided to volunteer. She took the GS camp training, which included fire starting, camp cooking, first aid, etc.

I was a little surprised at her description of her reaction. She says that being able to start a camp fire makes her feel "empowered", better able to control her own environment. I've been camping, hiking, hunting since I was a kid, so I never thought of how it might feel to learn what you have been missing.

Of course, participating in the lives of 4 daughters who like to play outside is a motivator, without that I don't know if she'd have ever set foot in a tent.

Now we have discussions about emergency signals, preparedness, etc. that just didn't occur before.

Still can't get her to take a fish off the hook, but I have not lost hope (she'll at least get the line in the water)...

#141358 - 07/25/08 03:36 PM Re: Getting women interested in outdoor survival s [Re: NightHiker]
dweste Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Central California
Did you mean ROFLMAO? Or is this a new one to me?

Page 5 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 173 Guests and 12 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by Ren
Yesterday at 06:35 PM
Silver
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/13/24 10:09 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Amanda Nenigar found dead
by Phaedrus
04/05/24 04:39 AM
Any shortages where you are?
by adam2
04/04/24 04:19 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by brandtb
04/03/24 08:27 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.