Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#140772 - 07/22/08 02:17 PM Motorcycle & a new rider
TeacherRO Offline
Carpal Tunnel

OK, never owned one, but am interested. What should a newbie need to know about riding/ buying/ maintaining a motorcycle?

#140779 - 07/22/08 02:34 PM Re: Motorcycle & a new rider [Re: TeacherRO]
Blast Offline
INTERCEPTOR
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: TX
1. Take the Motorcycle Safety Training Class.

2. Take the Motorcycle Safety Training Class.

3. Take the Motorcycle Safety Training Class.

The class is a lot of fun and the knowledge you gain from it will answer most of your questions. If possible, take the class before buying the bike. It may change your opinion of what motorcycle you'll want.

Man, I miss my bike.

-Blast
Radio Call Sign: KI5BOG
*As an Amazon Influencer, I may earn a sales commission on Amazon links in my posts.

#140785 - 07/22/08 03:22 PM Re: Motorcycle & a new rider [Re: Blast]
unimogbert Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Colorado
+1 to Blast's first 3.

A motorcycle is not a step up from a bicycle to a car.

A motorcycle is like an F-16 and you don't know how to fly.
It'll hurt you or kill you really quickly. Or help the car drivers hurt or kill you.

Treat it like you would learning to fly the F-16 and you'll do fine. They really ARE trying to kill you out there! Your job is to prevent that and ride anyway.

(said by a 29 year rider who took the MSF Advanced course 4 times because it was fun and who hasn't yet been down on the street)

#140790 - 07/22/08 03:29 PM Re: Motorcycle & a new rider [Re: Blast]
Hacksaw
Unregistered

Originally Posted By: Blast
1. Take the Motorcycle Safety Training Class.

2. Take the Motorcycle Safety Training Class.

3. Take the Motorcycle Safety Training Class.

The class is a lot of fun and the knowledge you gain from it will answer most of your questions. If possible, take the class before buying the bike. It may change your opinion of what motorcycle you'll want.

Man, I miss my bike.

-Blast

+100

And not just because I'm a licensed instructor. Everybody who rides should take a class even if they've been riding for 40 years.

#140800 - 07/22/08 04:02 PM Re: Motorcycle & a new rider [Re: ]
Stu Offline
I am not a P.P.o.W.
Old Hand

Loc: Finger Lakes of NY State
Originally Posted By: Hacksaw
[quote=Blast]

And not just because I'm a licensed instructor. Everybody who rides should take a class even if they've been riding for 40 years.

+100 on that one.

#140842 - 07/22/08 08:33 PM Re: Motorcycle & a new rider [Re: TeacherRO]
MartinFocazio Offline

Pooh-Bah

Loc: Bucks County PA
Well...I'll add you to the list of people who must be on the road for the first time on a motorcycle.

We have this hill near me, and right near the top of the hill, the road turns, ever-so-slightly left.

See the map.

There's a slight curve there between Skyline Drive and Chestnut Ridge Road. People heading north, down the hill have to turn left.

In the last 3 months, we've had 12 motorcycle accidents on that curve. That's a LOT for that spot, and for all 12, it was a new rider who came into the turn just a little quick, got a tiny bit of gravel under the back wheel, and went off the bike. We land the helicopter right there at the scene. No fatalities, but some really banged up folks.

My point isn't to scare you off, it's just to let you know that I've seen a disproportionate number of motorcycle wrecks this year, and in 100% of the incidents, it's anew rider. Take the classes, start slow, and wear a helmet. The head injuries I've seen for the folks without helmets have been just horrible, the folks with helmets seem to do a lot better, in general.

#140846 - 07/22/08 09:04 PM Re: Motorcycle & a new rider [Re: MartinFocazio]
clearwater Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Channeled Scablands
Originally Posted By: martinfocazio
Well...I'll add you to the list of people who must be on the road for the first time on a motorcycle.

We have this hill near me, and right near the top of the hill, the road turns, ever-so-slightly left.

See the map.

There's a slight curve there between Skyline Drive and Chestnut Ridge Road. People heading north, down the hill have to turn left.

In the last 3 months, we've had 12 motorcycle accidents on that curve. That's a LOT for that spot, and for all 12, it was a new rider who came into the turn just a little quick, got a tiny bit of gravel under the back wheel, and went off the bike. We land the helicopter right there at the scene. No fatalities, but some really banged up folks.

My point isn't to scare you off, it's just to let you know that I've seen a disproportionate number of motorcycle wrecks this year, and in 100% of the incidents, it's anew rider. Take the classes, start slow, and wear a helmet. The head injuries I've seen for the folks without helmets have been just horrible, the folks with helmets seem to do a lot better, in general.

Visit the ER, the cyclists able to talk will be the ones
that wore a helmet.

#140849 - 07/22/08 09:11 PM Re: Motorcycle & a new rider [Re: TeacherRO]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

Loc: Former AFB in CA, recouping fr...
After spending over thirty years helping pick up the pieces, I have come to the conclusion that there are two types of motor riders; those that have been down, and those that are gonna go down.

Did I mention that I don't like scooters much???

#140855 - 07/22/08 09:30 PM Re: Motorcycle & a new rider [Re: OldBaldGuy]
Hacksaw
Unregistered

The last time I was at the ME's office here, they were up to about 20 helmets....most of them motorcycle helmets...some of them not recognizable as such. They only started keeping them recently. Since the Hells Angels sued after they 'disposed' of a helmet that they wanted back for sentimental reasons.

#140885 - 07/22/08 11:50 PM Re: Motorcycle & a new rider [Re: ]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

Loc: Former AFB in CA, recouping fr...
And probably a lot of them were the really "cool" beanie types, that give less protection than I would want if I were falling off of a scooter...

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 269 Guests and 21 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.