Geezer

Loc: Former AFB in CA, recouping fr...
"...fun to roll in the clay with a friend..."

A roll in the clay leads to a roll in the hay? laugh laugh laugh

#140969 - 07/23/08 02:45 PM Re: Field Shaving and Hygiene [Re: Lastborn]
Am_Fear_Liath_Mor Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Hi Lasthorn

You could always use some makes of insect repellant to use as a lubricant to shave with. As an experiment I tried 'Dr Johnsons Mosquito and insect repellent' roll on stick. It worked quite well except that it dried out slightly more quickly than a conventional shaving oil.

A good after shave moisturiser is also required whether using conventional soap or shaving oil.

Nivea Extreme Comfort After Shave Balm is excellent.

http://www.amazon.com/Nivea-Extreme-Comfort-After-Shave/dp/B0016IP2P8/ref=pd_sbs_hpc_3

You should be able to get it in smaller travel sized container.

A razor such as the Avid4 shaving system with a shaving oil such as King Of Shaves Kinexium Shaving Oil Unmentholated 20ml, would be very compact and lightweight.

http://www.worldwideshoppingmall.co.uk/b...mentholated.asp

http://www.trafalgarshop.com/catalog_ts/AVID4-Shaving-System-p-16140.html

Edited by Am_Fear_Liath_Mor (07/23/08 02:46 PM)

#140978 - 07/23/08 03:13 PM Re: Field Shaving and Hygiene [Re: Am_Fear_Liath_Mor]
Kart29 Offline
Stranger

Loc: Indiana
Last time I went backpacking I didn't think to bring any soap. I really missed it. Mostly I just scrubbed up with sand/gravel from the bottom of a little crick. Good enough for a woodsman I guess.

I had some dishes that were greasy with burnt spam & butter. Cold water and sand just won't take off the grease - it just smears it around. So, I mixed up some wood ashes with hot water to make a paste, smeared that all around the greasy pans and let them sit for a while. Cleaned the pans up good!

I think old time lye soap is just wood ashes and animal fat. I don't know the exact process or mixture but knowing the basics, I'm sure you could mix up something that would pass for soap. Man-o-man, that lye soap can burn you skin if you use it very often on sensitive areas.

#140982 - 07/23/08 03:23 PM Re: Field Shaving and Hygiene [Re: Kart29]
dweste Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Central California
Spam? Freeze-dried or dehydrated?

#140985 - 07/23/08 03:27 PM Re: Field Shaving and Hygiene [Re: dweste]
Johno Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Scotland
I'm a big fan of shaving oil, at home and in the field. seems to go through razors a bit quicker though.

#140990 - 07/23/08 03:35 PM Re: Field Shaving and Hygiene [Re: Johno]
dweste Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Central California
One of the shaving oil sites touts using their razor cleaning brush to apply oil to the razor after a shave to extend bald life by inhibiting exposure to air / corrosion. Any truth to that?

#140996 - 07/23/08 04:05 PM Re: Field Shaving and Hygiene [Re: dweste]
Hacksaw
Unregistered

I apply oil to my knives to extend the life of the edge so it makes sense to me.

I also use shaving oil to lube the blades on my clippers.

#141010 - 07/23/08 04:55 PM Re: Field Shaving and Hygiene [Re: Lastborn]
big_al Offline
Addict

Loc: 20mi east of San Diego
I carry a tube of Aloe Vera 100% Gel (Wal-Mart) I use it to shave, on Sun burns,dry skin and as a Hair gel to keep what is left of my hair on my head. good stuff,works for me. May I add that I buy it in a 12oz. bottle and refill a 2oz. tube that I have carryed for years. It is also fragrance and color free.

Edited by big_al (07/23/08 05:04 PM)

#141024 - 07/23/08 05:58 PM Re: Field Shaving and Hygiene [Re: dweste]
Kart29 Offline
Stranger

Loc: Indiana
Originally Posted By: dweste
Spam? Freeze-dried or dehydrated?

DEHYDRATED SPAM????? Whatchoo talkin bout, dehydrated Spam????

Everybody knows Spam comes in a can with the water still in it.

#141055 - 07/23/08 08:21 PM Re: Field Shaving and Hygiene [Re: Stokie]
Art_in_FL Offline
Pooh-Bah

Originally Posted By: Stokie
I've used those double edged safety razors ever since I had enough fluff worth shaving. It's the only thing I use. Blades are way cheaper than the 3 or now 5 bladed plastic things you get now, plus blades like that can always be used in a kit as a back-up blade.

IMHO the double-edge razor is the way to go for a lot of situations. A straight razor has advantages but they require some extra equipment, care in use and gentle handling. The old double edge is pretty much a tank. And it gives a nice, satisfying shave.

Probably the double edge will soon be gone. The blades are easily available at most any drugstore. The general quality of the blades is down. Used to like Wilkinson platinum because they were pretty much top shelf but they are no longer available. There are still good blades commonly available but to get the really fine ones you need to buy from one of the European manufacturers.

The double edged shavers themselves are available only in antique stores or you can get a German made unit online. Used to be any drugstore had a selection. The Vermont Country Store is one of the few places to get one. They specialize in carrying older devices and products.

If your into it it is possible to sharpen a double-edged razor blade. Back in the 20s and 30s there were quite a few proprietary devices that made it possible. Blades were expensive back then and people poor. I fiddled with a makeshift rig and, at best, I could extend the life of the blade for a couple more shaves. Only cost the tip of one of my fingers and a pint or so of blood. I figure I'm better off just stocking up on blades.

I tried the disposable razors but they seem like squirrelly little toys and I never like throwing out a plastic unit when it is just a tiny bit of steel that is dull. Of course the cheap disposable units are light. Something to think about if weight is a major concern. Disposables are handy to give to visitors or just to have a razor in a gas mask kit or glove compartment. Stuff a disposable, a sample-size shaving oil and an old CD for use as a mirror in a zip-lock and you have a cheap and handy shaving kit.

If you have plans to use a gas or filter mask you really need to be clean shaved. There are special hoods that allow our hirsute brothers, and Italian sisters, to stay safe but they are much less common and considerably more expensive. I understand that the Belgians had a gel that they kept in their gas mask bags that could be applied over facial hair to provide a seal in an emergency but I'm not sure how well it worked or where to get any.

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 390 Guests and 70 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Yesterday at 01:15 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Amanda Nenigar found dead
by Phaedrus
04/05/24 04:39 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.