Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 3 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
#139197 - 07/09/08 11:41 PM Re: Lots of police out there, I see... [Re: Chaotiklown]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

Loc: Former AFB in CA, recouping fr...
And as for "protection," a stout hiking staff, combined with a little bit of training and practice would, in my humble opinion, be much better than just about any knife you might have (think Little John). I have been practicing a bit with my late mother-in-laws wooden cane, we have an upcoming trip out of the country and don't want the hassle of any knife in foreigh ports. Being old and worn out, no one will question a cane. Same with a hiking staff for a hiker...

#139198 - 07/09/08 11:43 PM Re: Lots of police out there, I see... [Re: Chris Kavanaugh]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

Good luck with that. Several years ago, wanting some info on "local" laws, I send e-mails to the published addresses of several agencies in the Pacific northwest. Identified myself as a retired LEO. Got not one answer...

#139199 - 07/09/08 11:45 PM Re: Lots of police out there, I see... [Re: Am_Fear_Liath_Mor]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

Probably pretty cool where he was hiking anyway...

#139205 - 07/10/08 12:11 AM Re: Lots of police out there, I see... [Re: OldBaldGuy]
Bill_G Offline
Journeyman

Here are couple of sites I found searching "knife laws". Hope it helps and good luck in your journey.

http://www.knifelawsonline.com/knifehome/

http://www.handgunlaw.us/documents/USKnife.pdf

#139235 - 07/10/08 02:47 AM Re: Lots of police out there, I see... [Re: Chaotiklown]
Nicodemus Offline
Paranoid?
Veteran

Loc: Virginia, US
If you take the Appalachian trail, you'll most likely get no trouble even if you wander a ways off the trail. Well, don't quote me on that. There are jerks everywhere. However, a lot of people take the trail and if there were some constant trouble spots, you'd be able to find out online.

#139257 - 07/10/08 11:36 AM Re: Lots of police out there, I see... [Re: Nicodemus]
BillLiptak Offline
Enthusiast

I am not an attorney or law enforcement. I do have friends who are....my humble 2¢...
IIRC you are carring a multi-tool, should not be a problem, even the more draconian laws allow up to 3" blades. Also it is arguable that it is more a tool than a knife. Don't push it with the police though, worst crime you can commit is POP...pi$$ing off police.
A small 3" locking folder for camp chores, fine cutting etc.... Will be easily explainable and probably not questioned unless in an urban situation like major cities. Have it in a pouch on your belt. In plain sight. So that way you are not carring it "concealed".
Ditch the bayonet. If its double edged like a lot are its a dagger...big no in many areas. Also with the attached wire cutter it could send the robber/destruction of property alarms on the local police. If for some reason you need to cut wire, try nicking the wire and using the pliars to wiggle it back and forth until it breaks. Or use your multi tools file.....
A four to five inch fixed knife on the belt while hiking is ok, in towns bury it in the backpack. Although it is now concealed it established two very imporant issues that are commonplace in a lot of leagal wordings. One, it is not "on ones person" per se, its in a pack. Two it is not readily accessable. Setting up a defence that you mean no harm with it. You use it when on the trails, in cities you pack it up where it is not needed.
Finally check the regulations on what size pepper spray you can leagally carry. Diffrent places put restriction on how many oz. The spray can be.
+1 on a hiking staff, it will help immeasurable while hiking. Ease your load, kill a pesky snake that doesn't want to go away, check water depth in streams you want to cross, cave in the skull of both two and four legged beasties that wish to do you harm. Hope this helps

-Bill Liptak

#139267 - 07/10/08 01:21 PM Re: Lots of police out there, I see... [Re: BillLiptak]
Dan_McI Offline
Old Hand

Loc: NYC
Originally Posted By: BillLiptak
Ditch the bayonet. If its double edged like a lot are its a dagger...big no in many areas.

Rather than the bayonet, bring a pruning saw. Cheap, light, does what it does well.

#139301 - 07/10/08 04:01 PM Re: Lots of police out there, I see... [Re: Dan_McI]
unimogbert Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Colorado
I can't believe it but I actually dreamed about this topic this morning. Brian Denehy was the cop (he played the Sheriff in the 1st Rambo movie).

I was personally clean and spoke pleasantly with the officer so nothing happened. (Unlike John Rambo who was scruffy and sullen.)

The thing one wants to avoid at all times is even hinting at "contempt of cop" attitude.

Some cops, (bad ones I've read about, LAPD most notorious), will take the slightest of behavioral nuances and blow that up in their minds to the point of being willing to beat hell out of anyone that doesn't give them total awe and respect of their super-cop powers.

While this is arrogant BS and isn't right, the bottom line is that the cop has the gun, the taser, the nightstick, a fellow cop who will agree to your cop's story, the jail and the systemic presumption that whatever he says is the truth and you are presumed guilty and will be treated so until the jury starts to hear your case.

You'd best not give off the wrong signals when in contact.

#139330 - 07/10/08 06:33 PM Re: Lots of police out there, I see... [Re: unimogbert]
Chaotiklown Offline
:-)
Journeyman

Loc: South Carolina, USA
All this is good to keep in mind- I also forgot something on the "my journey" post for my equipment- I do have a stout hiking staff, that's coming with me- I will keep my knives in mind, and when entering a town or city, I'll "bury" it in my backpack. That, I'd assume they would need a warrant if they wanted to search- and I don't have any intention of giving probable cause. I'm polite by nature, and will bring razors and equipment for personal grooming to make myself presentable. Thank you guys for all the info, this is a good bit to add to my mental-arsenal:-) Thanks!

#139470 - 07/11/08 08:49 PM Re: Lots of police out there, I see... [Re: Chaotiklown]
Paul D. Offline

Loc: Porkopolis
Probable cause is defined very broadly by some LEOs, and even more so in some jurisdictions. Being quiet, polite, and well groomed may not be enough. If an LEO wants to search your pack he or she probably will and there is nothing you can do but politely state that you don't consent. Some LEOs have no problem stretching the law in order to enforce it. That being said, many LEOs that you meet will be a great help to you also, but they still may want to look in that bag first.

I had a friend that hitched and hiked across the country roughly 20 years ago, but he wasn't alone. He had a large, well trained German Shepherd dog with him. He said he didn't have a single problem except for one male driver propositioning him, and that guy was polite when politely turned down. The dog tended to bring out the best in good people and discourage others from bothering him. My friend and the dog were both quiet and kind but neither looked like easy targets either since they were both large for their breeds. wink
I don't know if he could make the same trip, with the dog that is, today or not.

Page 3 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 215 Guests and 38 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Today at 03:13 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by Ren
Yesterday at 06:35 PM
Silver
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/13/24 10:09 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Amanda Nenigar found dead
by Phaedrus
04/05/24 04:39 AM
Any shortages where you are?
by adam2
04/04/24 04:19 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.