Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 3 of 15 < 1 2 3 4 5 ... 14 15 >
Topic Options
#140473 - 07/20/08 07:18 PM Re: Getting a handgun and all that goes with it [Re: Russ]
dweste Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Central California
I have a lot of reading to do, thanks!

FYI, the handgun will companion a 12 guage shotgun.

#140478 - 07/20/08 07:46 PM Re: Getting a handgun and all that goes with it [Re: dweste]
BobS Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Toledo Ohio
A handgun gives you 2 things, shorter so they are easier to carry and can be concealed. Although a rifle or shotgun with a sling is easy to carry, just as easy as a handgun. Handguns lack power compared to rifles & shotguns. A shotgun will handle a pack of dogs better then any handgun.

If it’s important to have a concealed gun, go with a handgun. If not a pump shotgun is the way to go.

A 22 should almost always be the first gun, but people don’t like to hear this and don’t listen to this advice. A 22 is not “A Mans Gun” so it’s dismissed right away. But it really is a good choice.

You can run, but you'll only die tired.

#140481 - 07/20/08 08:10 PM Re: Getting a handgun and all that goes with it [Re: Russ]
Stretch Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Alamogordo, NM
No Russ, you're absolutely right. Good point.

For years (24 now) I've been taught the purpose is to "stop the threat". As a firearms and use of force instructor, that is the wording I must use when teaching. It's politically correct BS, of course, hence the first sentence or paragraph of my post. I wanted to be realistic and not mince words with a man who, while familiar with firearms, is not with handguns and his purpose for buying one is for self-defense.

Here is reality: a firearm is a deadly weapon. It is used only when deadly force is necessary. Whatever you hit may die, though not everything will. If we could stop the threat with something less deadly, we would, and legally should. However, for so many unlisted reasons, reality gets in the way again.

I don;t recommend a .22 for self-defense (nor a .38, nor a .380, nor a 9mm [though it will suffice]).

This is an opinion of mine (<------ disclaimer)

Edited by Stretch (07/20/08 08:12 PM)

#140484 - 07/20/08 08:28 PM Re: Getting a handgun and all that goes with it [Re: dweste]
LED Offline
Veteran

Here's a good web forum for california.

http://www.calguns.net/

At the store you'll take a written (multiple choice) gun safety test. Its about around $25 or so and is good for something like 10 years. For storage, if your safe is not on the CalDOJ list of approved gun safes you're required to buy a gun lock (if it doesn't come with one.) Also, you can only purchase one handgun every 30 days, and you must wait 10 days after purchase and filling out DROS paperwork to pick it up. Oh, and you must bring either your car registration with current name/address or a recent gas/electric utility bill.

#140485 - 07/20/08 08:29 PM Re: Getting a handgun and all that goes with it [Re: Stretch]
TheSock Offline
Addict

Loc: London England
Everyone: this is a public web site. Shoot a burglar and the cops aren't going to just congratulate on your markmanship and smile. You'll be investigated and when the prosecutor finds you use this site (which will be a 'survivalist' site in court, just as the deceased will suddenly be 'a trespasser') any 'shoot to kill' type comments you make here, are going to come back to haunt you.
And you shouldn't be aiming to kill anyone in the first place. You aren't a judge, jury and executioner.
The Sock

#140488 - 07/20/08 08:40 PM Re: Getting a handgun and all that goes with it [Re: TheSock]
Stretch Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Alamogordo, NM
The Sock, this thread was started by a man asking for advice about the firearm and accesories he plans to use for self-defense. Legalities are always a concern and were not meant to be eliminated or disregarded in my post. I understand England has a different view than America on protection of self and I suppose that's allright. No firearm should ever be used to "wound" (exceptions for snipers in authorative situations). Wounding is not the purpose of a firearm nor is it a sane alternative when your life is in imminent danger (note the use of the word "life"..... not limb, or car, or bicycle). If we can "wound" a person to save our (or loved one's) lives, then we didn;t need a firearm, generally speaking.

Those squeamish with the end result of a firearm's projectile should not purchase one and should leave their self-defense up to the police or other persons not afraid to save a life. I suspect the OP is not of that personality and, if I'm right, should go ahead with the purchase and understand the full, ugly, and sometimes legally liable consequence of its use. Somehow I suspect he does and understands what I'm trying to say.

Also, shooting burglars is merely a perception of yours and possibly others. I hope (and trust) the OP isn't buying a self-defense weapon for shooting burglars (or con-men, or drug dealers, or shoplifters). While some States authorize the use of deadly force in protection of property, it's certainly not what I consider a situation for the use of a firearm (deadly weapon). Each post I've written in this thread is consistent: my opinion is the firearm is to be used for self-defense (not necessarily shootin' up burglars, for example).... self-defense when a person's life is in imminent danger.

There is one more thing, if it's allright:
Originally Posted By: TheSock
........Shoot a burglar and the cops aren't going to just congratulate on your markmanship and smile...........
The Sock

True, the cops won;t smile and congratulate you, BUT they certainly will when out of your earshot! That is, IF the burglar was armed and, when confronted, threatened your life. Of course, just running around the house in your skivvies shootin' up burglars, as previously stated, is frowned upon by even the most congratulatory policeman.

Edited by Stretch (07/20/08 09:12 PM)

#140491 - 07/20/08 09:11 PM Re: Getting a handgun and all that goes with it [Re: Stretch]
JustinC Offline

Loc: New England
Good post, Stretch. I couldn't agree more.

Dweste: Required reading for anyone who possesses an arm for self-defense (and actually it probably should be required reading for men generally): To Ride, Shoot Straight, and Speak the Truth, by Col. Jeff Cooper

#140493 - 07/20/08 09:28 PM Re: Getting a handgun and all that goes with it [Re: TheSock]
Nishnabotna Offline
Icon of Sin
Addict

Loc: Nebraska
Originally Posted By: TheSock
Everyone: this is a public web site. Shoot a burglar and the cops aren't going to just congratulate on your markmanship and smile. You'll be investigated and when the prosecutor finds you use this site (which will be a 'survivalist' site in court, just as the deceased will suddenly be 'a trespasser') any 'shoot to kill' type comments you make here, are going to come back to haunt you.
And you shouldn't be aiming to kill anyone in the first place. You aren't a judge, jury and executioner.
The Sock

Sorry, but the only reason to shoot something is to kill it. If you aren't willing to kill it, then you shouldn't shoot at all.
Self-defense is very much different than protecting your property. Except maybe in Texas.

#140494 - 07/20/08 09:36 PM Re: Getting a handgun and all that goes with it [Re: Stretch]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
Exactly right. There is no "half way" when you use deadly force; you don't shoot to wound or knock the gun out of the bad guy's hand. State laws differ somewhat, but by and large if you are at home and in fear for your life, you are justified to shoot center mass until the threat stops. Then reload and watch for the bad guy's partner. Call 9-1-1 and then call a lawyer.

IANAL, check your state's deadly force laws. $.02

#140499 - 07/20/08 10:21 PM Re: Getting a handgun and all that goes with it [Re: Russ]
dweste Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Central California
My brother has actually urged a home defense plan, for reasons not relevant to a public discussion, with multiple concealed but quickly accesible instruments of force allowing a graduated response. He also advised it is easier to put down a shotgun or use its weight as an improvised weapon than to get it if the initial evaluation of need was incorrect. Something to be said about the deterrent effect of a shotgun being pumped being one of the few things for which we can thank Hollywood.

Page 3 of 15 < 1 2 3 4 5 ... 14 15 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 456 Guests and 71 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.