Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 5 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
#139598 - 07/14/08 02:02 PM Re: Lots of police out there, I see... [Re: Chaotiklown]
MartinFocazio Offline

Pooh-Bah

Loc: Bucks County PA
I've done this (sort of) by bike, with a few other guys. No agenda, no destination, just a bunch of guys with bikes loaded up with gear up in the hills of Vermont, New Hampshire and Maine. We learned, quickly, to seek out and introduce ourselves to local law enforcement or fire services. "Hi! We're a bunch of guys doing a bike tour of the northeast - do you know of a place that will let us camp out for free tonight? Oh, and we could really use some water for our water bottles." The truth is ALWAYS the best approach. In every case, we were treated like guests of the town, asked about where we were and where we were going, and why we were doing it. One time, we were directed to a park, another to a church basement. One time, we ended up in a hayloft. All was fun.

#139626 - 07/14/08 09:40 PM Re: Lots of police out there, I see... [Re: MartinFocazio]
Chaotiklown Offline
:-)
Journeyman

Loc: South Carolina, USA
Thanks guys, sounds like some pretty good advice- I'd imagine authorities would be slightly more resentful to me, being how I'll be on foot and alone, than on bikes with a group... But the courtesy applies the same- Can't hurt to be honest, can only help...

#139649 - 07/15/08 01:36 AM Re: Lots of police out there, I see... [Re: Chaotiklown]
sotto Offline
Addict

If you come to Santa Monica, you'll attract about as much attention as a moth on a light bulb down at the corner pub. cool

#139656 - 07/15/08 03:49 AM Re: Lots of police out there, I see... [Re: sotto]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

Loc: Former AFB in CA, recouping fr...
"...come to Santa Monica..."

Or just about anywhere else in CA between sea level and 2000 (or so) feet...

#139693 - 07/15/08 04:01 PM Re: Lots of police out there, I see... [Re: OldBaldGuy]
Chaotiklown Offline
:-)
Journeyman

Loc: South Carolina, USA
Originally Posted By: OldBaldGuy
"...come to Santa Monica..."

Or just about anywhere else in CA between sea level and 2000 (or so) feet...

Originally Posted By: sotto
If you come to Santa Monica, you'll attract about as much attention as a moth on a light bulb down at the corner pub. cool

???? Could you guys elaborate on this please? What's the deal with Santa Monica? Are you guys saying this is a good idea, or a bad one?

#139856 - 07/16/08 07:13 PM Re: Lots of police out there, I see... [Re: Chaotiklown]
wildman800 Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: La-USA
The question that I would like to have an answer to from our LEO types concerns the carrying of a Flare Pistol (12ga) while camping/hiking in the woods.

Please keep in mind that I don't think there is any question of carrying such a signaling device in a drought stricken area, but what about the areas that are not drought stricken or under a "burn ban"?????

#140419 - 07/20/08 03:43 AM Re: Lots of police out there, I see... [Re: wildman800]
trooper0366 Offline
Journeyman

Loc: Missouri
Every jurisdiction has different laws, so the best course is to check with local authorities first. Having said that, I'll talk about my area. A Flare Pistol can be considered a firearm in Missouri, so all the firearm laws apply.
If I came across one in the course of my duties, I would look at the total situtation. Does the person appear to be what he says he is, i.e. someone enjoying the outdoors with other outdoor gear or does he appear to be a thug. If he only had the pistol and flares I would lean towards it being used for its manufactured purpose. My thoughts would go along the lines of: Does it appear to be a signaling device(blaze orange color, made of plastic, etc.)or does it appear to be a "sawed off" shotgun? Does the person also have normal shotshells that could be used in the pistol? If he does and has no other shotgun I would view the item as either a "sawed off" shotgun or a smooth bore pistol, both illegal weapons.
I belive in the individual's right to lawfully have and use firearms(NRA member), so I try to give the benifit of the doubt to the person.
Hope this helps.

#140464 - 07/20/08 05:26 PM Re: Lots of police out there, I see... [Re: trooper0366]
wildman800 Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: La-USA
Thanks Trooper for that info. I carry 3 expired flare rounds and 3 new flare rounds. I intend to take it with me when I go canoeing/camping but I think it would cause serious legal issues to carry it backpacking/camping.

I have a Navy Mk V Flare Pistol which originally was issued as a 10ga but I have reduced it's bore to a 12ga to make use of commercially available flare rounds. No, It is not orange colored but an aluminum barrel with a plastic handle/receiver.

What are your thoughts??

#140514 - 07/21/08 12:08 AM Re: Lots of police out there, I see... [Re: wildman800]
dweste Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Central California
If space and weight are not a problem, carry all your "expired" flares.

#140577 - 07/21/08 01:42 PM Re: Lots of police out there, I see... [Re: wildman800]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

Loc: Former AFB in CA, recouping fr...
I'm not gonna take the time to look up pressures, etc, but I suspect that anyone who touched off a round of real 12ga shotgun ammo in an aluminum barrelled, plastic handled/receivered flaregun would be in for a nasty surprise...

Page 5 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 269 Guests and 21 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.