Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 15 of 15 < 1 2 ... 13 14 15
Topic Options
#142716 - 08/04/08 11:15 AM Re: Getting a handgun and all that goes with it [Re: red]
benjammin Offline
Rapscallion
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Anchorage AK
Nope, I want to make grand whoosing sounds, followed by the sound of melons hitting the ground. Otherwise silence in the darkness.

#142745 - 08/04/08 01:36 PM Re: Getting a handgun and all that goes with it [Re: benjammin]
Nishnabotna Offline
Icon of Sin
Addict

Loc: Nebraska
Announcing yourself is tactically a bad decision, but it might be what lets you sleep at night afterwards. I'm not going to kill anyone over a TV. I'll give someone every chance to run away - it's only when they move towards me or mine that causes me enough concern to be willing to kill them.
I acknowledge that this places me in greater danger. It's obviously a decision everyone has to make on their own according to what they can do and live with afterwards.

#142754 - 08/04/08 02:24 PM Re: Getting a handgun and all that goes with it [Re: Nishnabotna]
benjammin Offline
Rapscallion
Carpal Tunnel

Understandable, but at what point do you conclude an intruder is no longer a threat? I prefer to be proactive in defense rather than reactive; it gives me more options and a greater chance of survival.

Better to err on the conservative side, and just assume that if someone has broken into your home, it is with the intent of doing you and yours great harm. You are certain, then, not to be unfavorably surprised, and still remain justified in your actions.

Nonetheless, I agree that the best time to warn an intruder you are armed is when the sear lets go.

#142757 - 08/04/08 02:36 PM Re: Getting a handgun and all that goes with it [Re: benjammin]
Nishnabotna Offline
Icon of Sin
Addict

Loc: Nebraska
It's a good question. How far away does a person have to run to no longer be a threat? Outside? Down the street? Just out of sight? At what point are you sure that the bad guy isn't just doubling around the back side to come at you again?
I still have enough faith in my police to call them. I'll put down my weapon when they are knocking on the door.

#142779 - 08/04/08 04:05 PM Re: Getting a handgun and all that goes with it [Re: Nishnabotna]
benjammin Offline
Rapscallion
Carpal Tunnel

Legally, I believe we can consider them a threat until they leave the house, so long as they disengage any attack posture. If they persist with the confrontation but are merely driven outside, then the threat remains imminent, and justifiable defense is warranted. Doubling back may only lead them down another path of doom. If they don't get the message on the first volley, they surely will the second one! Give me a chance to reload/rearm, and I will likely get something bigger and more powerful, as well as take up a more advantageous position from which to deliver.

It's been my experience that the police are not there to protect and defend, unless you happen to live next door to a police station. Usually they are there to secure the crime scene and help clean up the mess after the fact. I have no problem with relaxing my attack posture when properly identified officers show up at my home in response to being summoned.

Page 15 of 15 < 1 2 ... 13 14 15

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 139 Guests and 26 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Today at 03:13 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by Ren
Yesterday at 06:35 PM
Silver
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/13/24 10:09 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Amanda Nenigar found dead
by Phaedrus
04/05/24 04:39 AM
Any shortages where you are?
by adam2
04/04/24 04:19 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.