Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#1403 - 08/25/01 03:23 AM lighter
Anonymous
Unregistered

I want to find a small lighter I can add to a key ring for emergencies. Any suggestions?<br><br>"Audaces Fortuna Iuvat"

#1404 - 08/25/01 03:11 PM Re: lighter
hthomp Offline
Outdorus Fanaticas
Journeyman

Loc: AR
Kodiak,<br><br>I found a small refillable butane lighter/swiss army type knife combo on a keyring at a truckstop. Granted, the tiny knife and scissors are pretty cheap, but the compact size of the whole thing is great (approx 2 3/16 in long by 1/2 in wide by 10/16 in deep).<br><br>It is stainless steel and the only logo or markings on it are Kowell.<br><br>I typically don't check out the el-cheapo knives, Zippo knock-offs, etc. at gas stations, but I just happened to glance one day and find it. It is a permanent fixture on my already crowded with goodies/survival items keychain.<br><br>HT<br><br>

#1405 - 08/25/01 03:19 PM Re: lighter
Anonymous
Unregistered

>>I want to find a small lighter I can add to a key ring for emergencies. Any suggestions?<<<br><br>Eddie Baur briefly used to carry a little gem of a Japanese refillable butane lighter in a screw-open, o-ring sealed black plastic capsule, the shape of a cold capsule, and just two inches long. Unfortunately, I haven't seen them for sale in many years- I'd buy a couple more.<br><br>Some people, myself included, like the little rectangular, waterproof "permanent match" lighters for this purpose. Some don't. It's come up in discussion a few times recently.<br><br>That having been said, a google search on "key ring lighter" gets a lot of hits to peruse through, from cheap novelty items to expensive gentlemen's accessories like:<br><br>http://www.stanleylondon.com/dalveyminilighter.htm<br><br>

#1406 - 08/25/01 07:11 PM Re: lighter
Anonymous
Unregistered

Why on your keychain? Check out the cigarette lighter watch.<br>http://www.gizmos-uk.com/LighterWatch.htm<br><br>Just a joke. These were real popular in France in the late 70s when I lived there. It seemed that alot of Frenchmen smoked an awful lot. <br><br>I carry a little half size Bic disposable. It has plenty of flame, is inobtrusive, gets no second looks when I empty my pockets, and is so cheap I don't care if I lose it. Also if it runs out of fuel you can still shoot out sparks.<br><br>

#1407 - 08/27/01 12:48 PM Re: lighter watch
Anonymous
Unregistered

Lighter watch: neat gadget. The description says:<br><br>>Refilling the watch is easy and just like a standard disposable lighter. <<br><br>What do you suppose that means? When a disposable lighter is empty, you throw it away.<br><br>Hmm.....<br><br>

#1408 - 08/27/01 01:02 PM Re: lighter
Anonymous
Unregistered

I second the suggestion of the half-sized disposable lighter. The amount of instant, convenient flame you get for the size, weight and cost is un-'matched.' <br><br>I prefer the Bic pocket electronic version because it works after being submerged, it has a child safety lock that prevents the butane from accidentally being released in your pocket, and it has a very smooth, pocket-friendly shape. No shower of sparks, though.<br><br>It's not intended for carry on a keychain, but you would be hard pressed to find anything much smaller. <br><br>

#1409 - 08/29/01 07:14 AM Re: lighter
rthompson Offline

Loc: Kentucky, USA
CastAway,<br> I bought one of those child proof electronic lighters. When I push down on the button I can here a hissing noise. Dose the button have to go all the way down for the butane escapes? Just wandering if mine is messed up or is it just hissing at me! Ha! I have had a lot of trouble with the regular bics going dry too soon. <br><br><br>

#1410 - 08/29/01 01:36 PM Correction: I meant "Cricket"
Anonymous
Unregistered

Sorry, in the above post where I wrote:<br><br> >I prefer the Bic pocket electronic version<<br><br>I meant:<br><br> "I prefer the *Cricket* pocket electronic version"<br><br>I guess Bic has such a strong brand name, it stuck in my head.<br><br>

#1411 - 08/29/01 02:10 PM Re: lighter
Anonymous
Unregistered

If your lighter is hissing, that's a sure sign that you are losing the butane. I think you have a bad lighter. <br><br>I wrote in the above post that I prefer the Bic electronic, but I really meant to write that I like the Cricket Pocket Electronic model. I don't know if you have a Cricket, but mine doesn't seem to leak like that. Maybe yours is a little broken or imperfect, or maybe you have a different brand. <br><br>I have seen the Bic electronic, but it is pretty large and has an inconvenient safety release. I didn't notice it leaking, but I didn't look for that specifically.<br><br>The child safety feature on modern disposable lighters is intended to prevent children from being able to start fires with the lighters. In other words, the various designs may not all be intended to prevent butane leaking, but may just be intended to prevent sparking. The Cricket lock seems to do both in my experience. It is an excellent design in that it is effective and also very convenient to use.<br><br>If you put a tremendous amount of force on the locked button, I'm sure the lock could be damaged to the point that it would allow leaking, but I don't think that would happen in typical use or typical wear-and-tear.<br><br>

#1412 - 09/02/01 04:36 PM Re: lighter
rthompson Offline

Loc: Kentucky, USA
Where do you find the cricket lighter? I also tried the scripto lighter. It also hisses. Ok lighter but not what I'm looking for. I hear the crickets chirping but I can't find one...<br><br>

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (Ren), 261 Guests and 21 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 11:47 PM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.