The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 5 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5
Topic Options
#140711 - 07/22/08 02:19 AM Re: Stay-awake medication in FAK [Re: OldBaldGuy]
SARbound Offline
Addict

Loc: Quebec City, Canada
No stimulants for me. If you really wish to stuff something in a survival kit, i'd use sugar packets. Otherwise, I rely on M&Ms or other kinds of chocolate bars.

I think sugar is a better solution for your body than caffeine.

#140733 - 07/22/08 06:07 AM Re: Stay-awake medication in FAK [Re: SARbound]
Todd W Offline
Product Tester
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Mountains of CA
I know for me that caffeine does pretty much nothing while if I have a LOT of sugar I can really tell. I think this is due to fast metabolism and processing the sugar rapidly also possibly why caffeine has no affect it gets processed away fast?

I know the caffeine thing runs in my family on my mothers side too.

#140857 - 07/22/08 09:44 PM Re: Stay-awake medication in FAK [Re: dweste]
nursemike Offline
Old Hand

Loc: wellington, fl
[quote=dweste]
"I would still like to understand what other first aid purposes are served by stimulants."

Not sure that the amphetamines were in the FAK for first aid purposes, (tho both amphetamines and caffeine have been used in the past as respiratory stimulants-we had IV caffeine sodium benzoate on the crash cart in 1974, and caffeine is similar to theobromide, an old school asthma treatment). I think it got stuck there cuz thats where the aspirin and other meds were housed, and it made more sense than putting it in the toolbox.

Alternatively, there is a case to be made that stimulants improve mental acuity and physical performance in some stamina-dependent activities, and might therefore be useful in crisis response. At one level, we dress the wounds and treat the pain to improve performance in other activities-this would be analogous, perhaps, to popping a tab of caffeine. Might could make a case for a sleeping pill in the kit, to promote rest-but there is usually some benadryl anyway, and that works just fine.

#140859 - 07/22/08 09:53 PM Re: Stay-awake medication in FAK [Re: ]
red Offline

I'm not a big fan of Provigil.

#140873 - 07/22/08 10:50 PM Re: Stay-awake medication in FAK [Re: Grouch]
Mike_H Offline
Addict

Loc: SE PA
Originally Posted By: Grouch
Perhaps to keep a concussion victim awake? Isn't it bad for them to go to sleep?

I believe this is no longer a standard practice. They do suggest you wake a person every hour or so to check on them, but it is no longer necessary to keep them awake.

#140874 - 07/22/08 10:53 PM Re: Stay-awake medication in FAK [Re: ]
Mike_H Offline
Addict

Originally Posted By: Hacksaw
Tea has been proven to release caffeine into your system more slowly than coffee.

I like to drink a tea blend called Mate Vana or Mate Lemon Blast... It is Yerba Mate with some tea or lemongrass in the 2nd case... It is a much better boost than coffee as well...

#140879 - 07/22/08 11:35 PM Re: Stay-awake medication in FAK [Re: NightHiker]
Mike_H Offline
Addict

Originally Posted By: NightHiker
Oh, I also have Excedrine Migraine tabs in my FAK, they have caffiene in them too. If I got really desperate I'd use them for the caffiene.

I have the same in my psk fak. For the same reason.

People who take caffeine all the time certainly build up a tolerance to it. Then it takes more and more to achieve the same results.

I stopped drinking caffeine for a while... Then I remember having a coke and boy was I buzzed.

Here's one for you:

Shower Shock Caffeinated Soap

Disclaimer, blah blah blah, etc... Not affiliated... usw...

#140882 - 07/22/08 11:43 PM Re: Stay-awake medication in FAK [Re: Mike_H]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

Loc: Former AFB in CA, recouping fr...
Man, where was that stuff when I was working graveyard shift???

#140883 - 07/22/08 11:45 PM Re: Stay-awake medication in FAK [Re: NAro]
Jeff_M Offline
Addict

Loc: Northwest Florida
Originally Posted By: NAro
"A flight simulation task was chosen for the assessment of the stimulants in a counter-balanced, within-subject design under four different conditions: baseline (no drugs), placebo, caffeine (200 mg), and modafinil (200 mg). The equal effectiveness of both drugs in abolishing the nocturnal drop in cognitive performance...."

I find that Provigil has far fewer side-effects, for me, than caffeine does, such as nervousness and edginess, irritability, fine muscle tremors, and dyspepsia. I also find that I can return to sleep when the opportunity presents when on Provigil, but not when on caffeine. YMMV

Jeff

#140939 - 07/23/08 11:41 AM Re: Stay-awake medication in FAK [Re: Jeff_M]
NAro Offline
Addict

My blurb regarding the provigil/caffeine research didn't go far enough. IMHO the issue isn't staying awake. It is staying awake with unimpaired cognitive performance.

Again IMHO, no one (without objective testing)has a really good idea regarding such performance decreases with sleep deprivation, or mitigation with caffeine, provigil, or other stimulants. How many times have you heard of someone who had too much to drink slugging down a few cups of coffee so they could drive home safely? Nothing but a wide-awake impaired drunk! Of a driver who is sleep deprived, tanks up on nodoze, and get's "white line hypnosis" and kills someone.

So my opinion is (since most of us aren't going to spend the time and money getting this personally objectively tested)... use whatever you're comfortable with. Just don't bet your life on any substance overcoming the negative effects of sleep deprivation.

Page 5 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 216 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 11:47 PM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.