The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 4 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#140581 - 07/21/08 02:13 PM Re: Stay-awake medication in FAK [Re: dweste]
nursemike Offline
Old Hand

Loc: wellington, fl
neurologists have a variety of noxious stimulants available to them to determine level of consciousness, or depth of coma, or coma vs faking a coma: nipple twisting, pubic hair pulling, thumb pressure on eyeballs , knuckle rubbing on chest, rectal exam...and ammonia capsules. The physician's choice of stim probably tells you more about the physician than it does about the patient. Anyway, if the patient is goofing on the doctor by pretending to be comatose, or is in a relatively light coma, or is just asleep, these stims are annoying enough to cause a reaction; if the level of consciousness is lower (or the patient a really good actor), there is no reaction to the stimulus.

Provigil is indeed a controlled substance, I guess because of its abuse potential, rather than because of side or toxic effects. Its side effect/toxic profile seems pretty benign, certainly better than amfetamine and arguably better than caffeine or nicotine, both of which are legal by heritage rather than by rational evaluation.

#140585 - 07/21/08 02:26 PM Re: Stay-awake medication in FAK [Re: ]
red Offline

Originally Posted By: Hacksaw
Originally Posted By: red
I can't remember all of the times that people come in for early refills on meds that affect their CNS.

Not just people but the doctors who prescribe them. My doctor has put me on 'preventative' antibiotics many times and the instructions on the bottle are very specific to TAKE THEM ALL! The last few times I haven't filled the prescription. I don't need to built a tolerance to something that could save my life later.

Lately I've just stopped going. If I get the sniffles I just take care of myself and it passes. If I keep it up after I feel better, I continue to feel better. I've been feeling under the weather once in the last year...that's some real prevention.

I'm glad that you are in great health...never take that for granted!

(I'm assuming the antibiotics are for something other than acne.)
Many prophylactic antibiotics are for when you've had something stitched up, or pre-post-surgery or stuff like that. Your decision not to take it is certainly yours to make. But you are rolling the dice if you DON'T take them. If you wait until you get cellulitis and it's speeding up your limb, you have a real emergency.

And your doctor is 100% correct to tell you to TAKE THEM ALL. The "tolerance" you are cautious of is actually the bugs surviving a subtherapeutic dose of the antibiotic... much more likely to occur if you DON'T take them all. Your body doesn't develop a "tolerance" for antibiotics, the infecting bacteria do!

#140636 - 07/21/08 07:01 PM Re: Stay-awake medication in FAK [Re: NightHiker]
Hacksaw
Unregistered

Tea bags have other uses too. They're good for tooth aches.

#140651 - 07/21/08 08:23 PM Re: Stay-awake medication in FAK [Re: ]
Glock-A-Roo Offline
Old Hand

IIRC 'Dayquil' keeps some people up. For those relying on adrenaline, my reading from combat vets is that it's great for the first 20 minutes or so but after that it leaves you. Then it's a function of your training, fitness and whatever stimulants you have on hand.

#140691 - 07/22/08 12:54 AM Re: Stay-awake medication in FAK [Re: Glock-A-Roo]
BlueSky Offline

Loc: DFW TX
I keep caffeine tablets in my kit because I get headaches if I miss my morning coffee. I'd hate to have to deal with a splitting headache while dealing with an emergency.

In college, I used to take sudafed on occasion when coffee wasn't doing the trick. It works, but it has some side effects like drying you out that make it less than optimal. You need to drink lots of water with it.

#140692 - 07/22/08 12:57 AM Re: Stay-awake medication in FAK [Re: nursemike]
jshannon Offline
Addict

Loc: North Texas
Bad idea to me. Alot of the stay awake meds will have a diuretic effect and will make hydration harder if water may be scarce.

#140693 - 07/22/08 01:00 AM Re: Stay-awake medication in FAK [Re: BlueSky]
dweste Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Central California
Caffeine is a drug of choice for many, so I guess if it is part of your everyday it makes sense to keep a maintenance hit ot two in your kit in case your usual pushers are not around.

I would still like to understand what other first aid purposes are served by stimulants.

Thanks.

#140703 - 07/22/08 01:56 AM Re: Stay-awake medication in FAK [Re: nursemike]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

Loc: Former AFB in CA, recouping fr...
"...nipple twisting, pubic hair pulling...rectal exam..."

Medicine seems to have gotten kinkey when I wasn't looking...

#140704 - 07/22/08 02:00 AM Re: Stay-awake medication in FAK [Re: Ranter]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

I have seen that too. Makes my eyes water just thinking about it...

#140705 - 07/22/08 02:02 AM Re: Stay-awake medication in FAK [Re: SwampDonkey]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

Me too. But I have to stop prior to noonish...

Page 4 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (Herman30), 639 Guests and 27 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
Yesterday at 10:40 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.