The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#139582 - 07/14/08 04:38 AM Re: wood fired steam generator [Re: BobS]
KG2V Offline

Veteran

Loc: Queens, New York City
Sterling engines were originally developed for exactly this problem - the want NOT to have a boiler. That said, other than for well pumping, sterling engines are not all that useful. They are ULTRA low power unless you use a very high pressure transer medium (aka there are exceptions - see the Swedish Submarine forces)

One of the more successful designs was the Ryder-Ericson Pumping engine

Basically it comes down to - the world went internal combustion for a darned good reason
Blog: http://kg2v.blogspot.com

#139597 - 07/14/08 02:00 PM Re: wood fired steam generator [Re: KG2V]
Hacksaw
Unregistered

Sterling engines are much more efficient in theory than in practice.

Though I was doing some googling and it seems there are folks experimenting with solar sterling engines that use the sun to generate the heat that a sterling engine requires.

#140382 - 07/19/08 04:57 PM Re: wood fired steam generator [Re: ]
MRPrice Offline

Loc: Tulsa, OK. United States of Am...
I've thought about steam before and came to the same conclusion that it seems many posters are making. It's a bomb, it may not go off but there are way too many points of possible failure with far too little inherent safety.

Having said that, looking into steam got me looking into woodgas, which seems like it might do what you want with less potential for fatality

#140433 - 07/20/08 10:42 AM Re: wood fired steam generator [Re: MRPrice]
adam2 Offline
Addict

Loc: Somerset UK
I would very strongly advise against any home made high pressure steam boiler, as others point it would be a potential bomb.

If you are determined to use steam power, then I would advise the purchase of a ready made, tested and certified steam boiler, in the UK these are available as replacements for defective originals in narrow gauge railway locomotives, steam traction engines and the like.The purchase of an old, but tested and certified boiler, is worth considering, but such is likely to require more maintenance and repair, and to have a shorter working life than a new unit.
Remember that in most places, even a privately owned steam boiler will require regular formal testing and inspection, even if this is not a legal requirement, it should still be done to avoid risk of explosion.
Slightly O/T but I believe that the tragic boiler explosion reffered to above, was in one of the few States that did NOT require any formal inspection of steam boilers used only for hobby or leisure use.

If you have plenty of wood, and a safe boiler, steam power can be used to generate electricity, run a saw bench, pump water and many other purposes.

#140434 - 07/20/08 10:43 AM Re: wood fired steam generator [Re: MRPrice]
adam2 Offline
Addict

Loc: Somerset UK
duplicate deleted, sorry

Edited by adam2 (07/20/08 10:44 AM)

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  MartinFocazio, Tyber 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 456 Guests and 71 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.