Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#139880 - 07/16/08 10:12 PM Power brown outs
TeacherRO Offline
Carpal Tunnel

What is everyone doing in case of a power blackout / brownout?

TRO

#139881 - 07/16/08 10:30 PM Re: Power brown outs [Re: TeacherRO]
dweste Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Central California
Alcohol, white gas, and solar cooking / heating water.

Candles and flashlights for light.

Battery operated radio.

Hoping the power comes back on.

#139886 - 07/16/08 10:50 PM Re: Power brown outs [Re: TeacherRO]
samhain Offline
Addict

Loc: Baton Rouge, Louisiana
Originally Posted By: TeacherRO
What is everyone doing in case of a power blackout / brownout?
TRO

Depends on when it happens... if it happens in the middle of the night, I'm gonna go back to sleep laugh

During the day, put on the battery operated fans and chill out with as few clothes on as possible. eek

Eat the stuff in the fridge first, then if the power outage starts going on too long then it's time to fire up the grill and start bbq-ing the stuff in the freezer.

(Block Party!!!!)

At night, open some windows (with screens) put the fan in the window and go to sleep just like when I stayed with my grandmother as a child.

I'll use up the battery powered lights first saving the hurricane lamps (lamp oil) for last ditch lighting because of the heat and fire risk.

One day I'll get my generator (paying off debt = first priority).

#139888 - 07/16/08 10:57 PM Re: Power brown outs [Re: samhain]
CJK Offline
Addict

Loc: FL, USA
Here in FL we've had our share....usually when it is during a T storm, the 1st thing I do is look across the street to see if the FPL equipment is as it should be. What I mean is that there is what looks like a huge knife switch that acts as a safety feature. Their (FPL's) technical term for it is a 'Drop out' switch. So far, 3 of th last 3 times it was tripped and hanging down. Calling FPL and using their terms to describe what is wrong usually convinces them I know of what I speak....We usually get the truck within an hour. Then we just hang on.

If it is longer than that.....I start thinking about wheeling the generator out.....I think our next "BIG" purchanse will be the 'whole house generator'.

#139893 - 07/16/08 11:18 PM Re: Power brown outs [Re: CJK]
BobS Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Toledo Ohio
Not a lot of power outs here, I can’t remember ever having a brown out. The few power outages we have are short duration things. A few hours is the most it’s ever been off.

I’m an avid tent camper, I have all I need to survive without power for a long time. Winter would be a problem for heating the house But the kitchen range and pulling the kero heater out of storage in the garage, it should be doable. Also the garage is heated with wood, it can easily be kept very warm with all the fire wood I have.

I keep telling myself to work toward being less grid dependant.

You can run, but you'll only die tired.

#139895 - 07/16/08 11:24 PM Re: Power brown outs [Re: BobS]
BobS Offline
Old Hand

I did some reading on kerosene powered refrigerators once. They are aqua-ammonia like the ones in travel trailers. Does anyone have one of these, and if so how do you like it.

Seems like it would work for non grid homes.

#139901 - 07/17/08 12:03 AM Re: Power brown outs [Re: TeacherRO]
DrmstrSpoodle Offline

Assuming the blackout is mid-to-long term, like the Great Eastern Blackout of '03 (we had no power for 2-3 days where I lived) or longer...

I'm doing what samhain is doing as far as the refrigerated goods go. Not that I couldn't afford one, but I live in an apartment building where a generator would not only be a possible noise/space problem, but would arouse suspicion and be a liability for theft, etc..

As for power for my small electronic devices, I've got a Black & Decker Power to Go portable battery. This will recharge the small luxury electronics (PSP, Nintendo DS) but the digital camera battery will have the priority here, should I want to document events as they unfolded.
As for the laptop I've got a car battery and an inverter, however long that will last.

I shouldn't have a problem with lighting, at least for quite a while. I've got a buttload of battery-powered lanterns, flashlights, batteries, and bulbs, most of which I've found on clearance (name brands and good quality though). I went kind of overboard here because during the '03 blackout, I was grossly underprepared and had only ONE glowstick and one Mini Mag-Lite with half-dead batteries. By Day 2 I was sitting in the dark, work calling me and telling me not to come in, scared out of my wits!

As for cooking I've got a propane grill for grilling, and a portable stove that runs on butane canisters. I don't need to use much fuel in the latter if I'm making something as quick and simple as Ramen noodles.

I've also got candles just sitting in my desk drawer waiting to be used, even with some brass candleholders w/ finger rings that I got at an antique store and untarnished at home.

#139909 - 07/17/08 12:58 AM Re: Power brown outs [Re: DrmstrSpoodle]
Shadow_oo00 Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Pennsylvania, USA
Got it covered

1. Wood Burner
2. Propane Cook Stove
3. Generator wired into the house
4. Oil Lamps
5. Manual coffee pot, can opener
4. Travel Trailer
5. Camping gear
6. Rechargeable batterys
7. Cabin in NY
8. Propane Grill

Problem is the power doesn't go out that often, last time was for only 10 hrs, I don't get to use everything that often, except at my cabin in NY no power, carry water, no frig, use coolers etc. Actually I can live quite nicely without electricity.

Prepare Or Not To Prepare That Is The Question. The Answer, You Better !!!

#139912 - 07/17/08 01:11 AM Re: Power brown outs [Re: ]
Blast Offline
INTERCEPTOR
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: TX
Quote:
you can actually remove the top cap and use them as a flashlight, too!

I didn't know that. I take one of those Walmart LED lanterns when I'm camping. They put out a lot of light for there size and seem to sip batteries.

As for blackouts, we have assorted battery-powered fans, lanterns, radio, etc and a large, 400 watt emergency power battery thingy.

In the winter we just put on clothes if we get a little cool. I love Texas!

Our freezers have lots of blocks of ice in them to help keep them cool. If it looks like it'll be a few days I'll start canning stuff, grilling stuff, and swap BBQ with the neighbors.

We were going to get a generator but Hurricane Rita convinced us otherwise. All the houses across the street lost power for six days. A bunch of them shared a generator to keep their fridges/freezers going but after three days the cost in gas outweighed the cost of food. gas prices have doubled since then. Overall, we decided we can make do without electricity if we must. Our stove and water heater are gas plus I have a ton of camping stuff. Overall, it'll be kind of sticky in the summer or cool in the winter, but nothing unbarable.

-Blast
Radio Call Sign: KI5BOG
*As an Amazon Influencer, I may earn a sales commission on Amazon links in my posts.

#139919 - 07/17/08 02:12 AM Re: Power brown outs [Re: ]
BobS Offline
Old Hand

I don’t know if propane is different then natural gas, but my natural gas water heater has no electrical connection to it at all. I just put a new one in on May 8th of this year and only hooked up water, gas line and the vent.

The kitchen range is hooked to electricity, but it’s only used for the timer / clock and piezo lighters. It will still work with no electricity if you light it with a match.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  MartinFocazio, Tyber 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (SRMC), 332 Guests and 70 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.