Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#140706 - 07/22/08 02:05 AM Re: Proposed Day Hiking Kit, Feedback Requested [Re: dweste]
SARbound Offline
Addict

Loc: Quebec City, Canada
The regular Mini-Maglite is needlessly heavy. I don't understand why people still buy those, there are much nicer lights (i.e. the Fenix brand comes to mind, or other generic equivalents) out there for the price, and they are lighter as well.

A good headlamp with spares batteries is one of the essentials you must absolutely never be without. Bring it everytime you hike, even during the day. Don't rely on the Photon only. You could use NiMH rechargeables but bring alkaline as backups (or Lithium for multiday trips or during the winter).

It's not as hard as many people think to survive a few days in the wilderness. It mostly depends on your mindset. In the winter, there's nothing like spending a whole night around a fire and just enjoying the wind and snow falling down. I do this often with a buddy of mine, we build a fire, collect tons of firewood, sit down on our foam pads and just chat and laugh until 4 am.

The only thing we use to "survive" is proper clothing, a foam pad, a compass, a GPS, fire-starting material, a Bahco Laplander saw and some whiskey (beer has a tendency to freeze... lol).

Try to keep it simple. It's very easy to go overboard especially if you browse these forums for too long. smile I wouldn't bother with the metal cup, the larger knives, the sharpener, the firesteel (you have a Bic and the Spark-Lite already), the poncho (I prefer a Gore-tex jacket), the spork (unless you planned your meal and really need it). Also, careful with the containers and pouches. More weight. Maxpedition stuff is extremely rugged and great for some uses but for a recreational hiker, there are much lighter alternatives.

#140831 - 07/22/08 06:33 PM Re: Proposed Day Hiking Kit, Feedback Requested [Re: NightHiker]
Hacksaw
Unregistered

I only use headlights for a few things these days and have really learned to hate them since I started doing SAR work. There's only so many times a person can handle having his night vision ruined by a dude with a headlamp.

I carry a Petzl E+LITE as an emergency light but prefer flashlights unless I need both hands for something. Much more control when the light is in your hand. Even if I do need both hands I'll put my Infinity Ultra in my teeth before busting the headlamp out of it's bubble.

If you're patient, and the moon is out, you can usually go pretty far into the night without needing any light. Once you use it though, night vision can take up to 40 minutes to come back.

#140921 - 07/23/08 06:27 AM Re: Proposed Day Hiking Kit, Feedback Requested [Re: SARbound]
BrianB Offline

Originally Posted By: SARbound
The regular Mini-Maglite is needlessly heavy. I don't understand why people still buy those, there are much nicer lights (i.e. the Fenix brand comes to mind, or other generic equivalents) out there for the price, and they are lighter as well.

I considered a head lamp. But there are things a mini-mag lite can do that a headlamp can't. I don't consider the weight at all. I can't obsess over a couple ounces. I'll probably cut the list above down anyway, and shave some weight that way, but the benefits of the mag lite, both in the kit and out of the kit are greater than the headlamp for me. Given the funds, I'd go for a Surefire light, but I don't have the funds.

Quote:

A good headlamp with spares batteries is one of the essentials you must absolutely never be without. Bring it everytime you hike, even during the day. Don't rely on the Photon only. You could use NiMH rechargeables but bring alkaline as backups (or Lithium for multiday trips or during the winter).

Handy, yes. Essential? No. I don't move in the dark, period. It's too easy to get injured in the dark. I have serious and permanent damage to a knee from putting a foot in a gopher hole in the dark in the Army. I have painful arthritis in both knees as a result of that one injury. So, essential? No. If I'm in a survival situation, I'm not risking injury to move around after dark. The maglite can be made into a lantern by standing it in its head, and provides good enough area light to accomplish in camp tasks.

Quote:

It's not as hard as many people think to survive a few days in the wilderness. It mostly depends on your mindset. In the winter, there's nothing like spending a whole night around a fire and just enjoying the wind and snow falling down. I do this often with a buddy of mine, we build a fire, collect tons of firewood, sit down on our foam pads and just chat and laugh until 4 am.

I agree here. And I've stayed out with far less in far harsher conditions none the worse for wear. Now, toss in a blizzard, rain/thunder storm, or serious injury. Not so cozy. I've got no fear at all of surviving a simple outing.

Quote:

The only thing we use to "survive" is proper clothing, a foam pad, a compass, a GPS, fire-starting material, a Bahco Laplander saw and some whiskey (beer has a tendency to freeze... lol).

I'll pass on the whiskey. =)

Quote:

Try to keep it simple. It's very easy to go overboard especially if you browse these forums for too long. smile

Too true! Expensive, too.

Quote:

I wouldn't bother with the metal cup, the larger knives, the sharpener, the firesteel (you have a Bic and the Spark-Lite already), the poncho (I prefer a Gore-tex jacket), the spork (unless you planned your meal and really need it). Also, careful with the containers and pouches. More weight. Maxpedition stuff is extremely rugged and great for some uses but for a recreational hiker, there are much lighter alternatives.

metal cup: stays. I just like metal cups, what can I say?

larger knife: goes. I just picked up a Benchmade mini-grip, which is more than sufficient for most cutting tasks. I'll likely skip the multitool, though the pliers could be handy. I may sub in a SAK, because I like 'em, and having an extra knife in a zipped up pocket is probably a good idea in case the one clipped on my pants loses itself.

firesteel: goes, good points

spork: has multiple uses, is relatively flat, and weighs almost nothing. I think I'll keep it. Heck, even if I don't eat with it, I may need to use it to dig a cat hole. (one of the things the fixed blade could help with)

Sharpener: stays. I just like having a little sharpener to carry around, whether for this purpose or in general.

The Maxpedition piece in question is made of heavier material than need be, but is not a large piece itself. It's just a water bottle holder with a pouch on the outside. I'd never carry one of their packs. Still, I'm considering just ditching it for a small pack like the REI Stoke 19. (http://www.rei.com/product/762532)

I'm going to ditch both the fishing kit and the snare wire. I really won't be going out far enough to be stuck for three weeks without some other human stumbling across me. Besides, I can live off my fat for FAR longer than 3 weeks. laugh

I'll probably just augment the first aid kit with more of the same type of envelopes rather than repackage some liquids. Flatter, less weight, and even though the others may have a shorter shelf life, I can suck up the sting and use the hand sanitizer as a backup in case the packs are all dried up and I need to sanitize an injury.

Thanks for the input! Much good food for thought.

Edited by BrianB (07/23/08 06:37 AM)

#140922 - 07/23/08 06:36 AM Re: Proposed Day Hiking Kit, Feedback Requested [Re: NightHiker]
BrianB Offline

Originally Posted By: NightHiker

For an area light try a clear (or light color) nalgene bottle full or water and wrap the headlamp around it with the light shining into the bottle - nice ambiance.

That is a very cool idea!

#140924 - 07/23/08 06:50 AM Re: Proposed Day Hiking Kit, Feedback Requested [Re: ]
dweste Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Central California
Originally Posted By: Hacksaw
I only use headlights for a few things these days and have really learned to hate them since I started doing SAR work. There's only so many times a person can handle having his night vision ruined by a dude with a headlamp.

If you're patient, and the moon is out, you can usually go pretty far into the night without needing any light. Once you use it though, night vision can take up to 40 minutes to come back.

I have red lenses on my headlight and flashlight to preserve my night vision, and that of those around me.

#140929 - 07/23/08 07:52 AM Re: Proposed Day Hiking Kit, Feedback Requested [Re: BrianB]
Frankie Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Montréal, Québec, Canada
BrianB, you can still get away with your Mini Maglite. Just buy a NiteIze headband! The NiteIze Headband!! It's the Maglite's best friend.

Unless you plan on wearing a Petzl helmet and do some extreme climbing or other sports, you don't really need a Petzl headlamp...

To preserve night vision and not scare the earthworms you're collecting for your fishing trip next morning, use red cellophane or better, buy the red filters:

http://www.penrithsurvival.com/penrith_survival/55/mia/d/maglite+red+filters+2/pid/2578692

Frankie

#140930 - 07/23/08 07:52 AM Re: Proposed Day Hiking Kit, Feedback Requested [Re: BrianB]
Crowe Offline
Journeyman

Originally Posted By: BrianB

Regarding the GI Poncho: Carried one for years stuffed in a cargo pocket. It's not a great way to carry the thing, but I can live with it. It's a very useful piece of gear. Though, looking at the prices on 'em online, it's not much more to get a high tech lighter one.

In basic training, we carried our ponchos tightly rolled secured to the back of our web belts with two blousing straps:

http://www.brigadeqm.com/cgi-bin/tame.exe/store/level4c.tam?xax=29626&pagenumber%2Eptx=1&M5COPY%2Ectx=21078&M5%2Ectx=21078&M2%5FDESC%2Ectx=Clothing%20Accessories&level3%2Ectx=level3c%2Etam&BC3%2Ectx=Clothing&BC4%2Ectx=Clothing%20Accessories&backto=%2Fstore%2Flevel3c%2Etam

Handy, compact and out of the way, I think you could to it with a normal belt.

#140954 - 07/23/08 12:49 PM Re: Proposed Day Hiking Kit, Feedback Requested [Re: dweste]
Hacksaw
Unregistered

Originally Posted By: dweste
Originally Posted By: Hacksaw

I have red lenses on my headlight and flashlight to preserve my night vision, and that of those around me.

Ever been flashed in the eyes with a red light at night? It's every bit annoying as a regular light, it just hurts slightly less and your night vision doesn't take quite so long to return. If the light is brighter than what's needed to read at about 6 inches, then it's too bright for your night vision. Most headlamps with red LEDs seem way too bright for me...they're just for reading maps and such. I carry a Gerber DIAL recon (basically the Infinity Ultra with a rotating blue, red, green, and clear lense) for reading in the dark without killing my eyes...it's very dim and works perfectly for that task.

#140986 - 07/23/08 03:28 PM Re: Proposed Day Hiking Kit, Feedback Requested [Re: ]
wildman800 Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: La-USA
I prefer my mini-mag with a red lens. It seems to work best for me.

#141013 - 07/23/08 05:07 PM Re: Proposed Day Hiking Kit, Feedback Requested [Re: BrianB]
dweste Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Central California
Originally Posted By: BrianB
Originally Posted By: NightHiker

For an area light try a clear (or light color) nalgene bottle full or water and wrap the headlamp around it with the light shining into the bottle - nice ambiance.

That is a very cool idea!

The commercial version:

http://www.guyotdesigns.com/firefly

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 353 Guests and 29 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by Jeanette_Isabelle
11:47 PM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.