Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 7 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >
Topic Options
#140346 - 07/19/08 12:49 AM Re: Bolt, wire, fence cutter in the BOB? [Re: dweste]
samhain Offline
Addict

Loc: Baton Rouge, Louisiana
dweste,

There are an infinite number of scenarios that are impossible to prepare for.

Better to keep it simple and multi functional as possible. Bolt cutters are a one-purpose tool (two if you use them to crack nuts), and not worth the weight.

Life in general is an exercise in risk management. It's usually less risky to walk around a secured area than it is to try and breach it.

Cutting someone's fence is a good way to get shot (i.e. not effective risk management).

I can understand the scenarios that you describe and they are not out of the realm of possibility.

Spend a weekend living in your car or your backyard with your BOB, what did you use, what was a waste of space, what was duplicated? Go for a hike with it.

That'll give you a better idea of what you really need than what you can imagine happening (I can imagine being picked up and rescued by the Hawaiian Tropic Girls who haven't seen a man in months ..... Now I gotta go pack my "special" underwear in my BOB....)

Edited by samhain (07/19/08 12:50 AM)
Edit Reason: grammar correction to keep my hs english teacher from haunting me....

#140347 - 07/19/08 12:56 AM Re: Bolt, wire, fence cutter in the BOB? [Re: samhain]
BobS Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Toledo Ohio
Originally Posted By: samhain
I can imagine being picked up and rescued by the Hawaiian Tropic Girls who haven't seen a man in months .....

I had that happen to me yesterday, then I woke up…

You can run, but you'll only die tired.

#140356 - 07/19/08 01:49 AM Re: Bolt, wire, fence cutter in the BOB? [Re: MartinFocazio]
SwampDonkey Offline
Veteran

Loc: Northeastern Ontario, Canada
I agree with the other posters, it is not hard to climb over a normal fence, just look for a supportive brace post or corner (or gate, DUH). Cutting farmers fences makes you very unwelcome, especially if you let his livestock out.

I carry bolt cutters in my work truck now. Once I was racing to meet a helicopter to Heli-attack into a forest fire and the road was blocked by a gate, I used a pulaski to take down the gate but it was not a very clean job on the gate or on the tool.

If I am cutting a chain with a padlock on it I usually cut a link of the chain and replace it with a spare series lock from my truck, that way I may not need to cut the chain again the next time. This also allows me to secure the barrier again after I have gone through.

Mike

#140370 - 07/19/08 10:37 AM Re: Bolt, wire, fence cutter in the BOB? [Re: samhain]
Art_in_FL Offline
Pooh-Bah

Originally Posted By: samhain
dweste,

There are an infinite number of scenarios that are impossible to prepare for.

Better to keep it simple and multi functional as possible. Bolt cutters are a one-purpose tool (two if you use them to crack nuts), and not worth the weight.

Life in general is an exercise in risk management. It's usually less risky to walk around a secured area than it is to try and breach it.

Cutting someone's fence is a good way to get shot (i.e. not effective risk management).

I can understand the scenarios that you describe and they are not out of the realm of possibility.

I have been reading this thread and the one about the dogs with a sense of unease. Both smack of unfocused What-ifs that are really not rooted in reality. Sure, to some extent, they tangentially deal with some things that are possible. I have had need to cut barbed wire while hiking and dogs do, sometimes, form packs that can be mildly threatening.

But a Leatherman took care of the barbed wire that had trapped the animal and throwing rocks at the dogs made them decide to go sniff around somewhere else. I had no doubt that I could have fought them off with my walking stick.

I look back over the decades and I have had little need to cut truck sized swaths through unclimbable fences that block my route or fight huge armies of dogs bent on taking me down in wave attacks. It just doesn't happen. Not to the degree anyone would need worry about.

Projecting fear into an exaggerated threat smacks of inexperience and a lack of proportion. Generally fences are there for a good reason and people concerned enough to build an unclimbable fence tend to object when you try to cut it. Also our ancestors handled packs of wolves with tools not much more powerful than sharpened sticks and clubs. When the dust settled humans marched on and dire wolves went extinct. We damn near wiped out modern wolves here in North America. Seems dogs have more to fear from us than the other way round.

#140378 - 07/19/08 04:19 PM Re: Bolt, wire, fence cutter in the BOB? [Re: Art_in_FL]
BobS Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Toledo Ohio
Great post Art.

You can run, but you'll only die tired.

#140386 - 07/19/08 05:34 PM Re: Bolt, wire, fence cutter in the BOB? [Re: BobS]
Blast Offline
INTERCEPTOR
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: TX
Quote:
I can imagine being picked up and rescued by the Hawaiian Tropic Girls who haven't seen a man in months .....

I had that happen to me several weeks ago, and I have pictures.

-Blast
Radio Call Sign: KI5BOG
*As an Amazon Influencer, I may earn a sales commission on Amazon links in my posts.

#140389 - 07/19/08 06:01 PM Re: Bolt, wire, fence cutter in the BOB? [Re: Blast]
wildman800 Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: La-USA
Thanks Blast, for reminding us!!!

#140401 - 07/19/08 08:38 PM Re: Bolt, wire, fence cutter in the BOB? [Re: wildman800]
climberslacker Offline
Youth of the Nation
Addict

does that have anything to do with a certain kayaking trip?? smile smile smile

Edited by climberslacker (07/19/08 08:43 PM)

though i seek perfection, i wear my scars with pride

Have you seen the arrow?

#140414 - 07/20/08 12:58 AM Re: Bolt, wire, fence cutter in the BOB? [Re: Blast]
samhain Offline
Addict

Loc: Baton Rouge, Louisiana
Originally Posted By: Blast
Quote:

I had that happen to me several weeks ago, and I have pictures.

-Blast

I saw those pictures man!!

Didn't recognize you with the Darth Vader mask on.

Did get a kick out of the "wanna see my lightsaber" line though.....

#140607 - 07/21/08 04:31 PM Re: Bolt, wire, fence cutter in the BOB? [Re: dweste]
TeacherRO Offline
Carpal Tunnel

For me, its too specialized. Around her we just climb over fences or go through the gate.

Page 7 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >

Moderator:  MartinFocazio, Tyber 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 253 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.