The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 10 of 15 < 1 2 ... 8 9 10 11 12 14 15 >
Topic Options
#140172 - 07/18/08 12:29 AM Re: Dog defense? [Re: benjammin]
RayW Offline
Addict

Loc: Orlando, FL
benjammin, Not sure that the wd-40 would do the trick anymore. Years ago some idjit lit himself up with wd-40 and the makers of the product changed the propellant from propane to CO2. Was using wd-40 today for cooling a part going through a surface grinder and with all those sparks i didn't even get a little flame. So i don't think it lights off the way it used to.

#140173 - 07/18/08 12:30 AM Re: Dog defense? [Re: RayW]
Fitzoid Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: WI, MA, and NYC
Well, at least their jaws would be well lubricated.

#140184 - 07/18/08 02:12 AM Re: Dog defense? [Re: RayW]
Hacksaw
Unregistered

Originally Posted By: RayW
benjammin, Not sure that the wd-40 would do the trick anymore. Years ago some idjit lit himself up with wd-40 and the makers of the product changed the propellant from propane to CO2. Was using wd-40 today for cooling a part going through a surface grinder and with all those sparks i didn't even get a little flame. So i don't think it lights off the way it used to.

I can second that. WD-40 used to be the best starting fluid for small engines money could buy. It's almost completely non flammable now. My dad puts his old cans under lock and key so it doesn't get wasted on squeaky hinges.

#140198 - 07/18/08 03:54 AM Re: Dog defense? [Re: ]
dweste Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Central California
I have looked on the internet at some forearm bite sleeves and gauntlets, but they seem bulky and impractical to wear on a bug out. Is there something along these lines that is practical?

#140203 - 07/18/08 04:15 AM Re: Dog defense? [Re: dweste]
Fitzoid Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: WI, MA, and NYC
I think adding gauntlets, chain mail, etc., to your BOB is probably taking this whole wild dog thing perhaps just a little too far.

Although if you're bugging out to a Renaissance Fair, they might come in handy.

#140206 - 07/18/08 04:26 AM Re: Dog defense? [Re: Fitzoid]
dweste Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Central California
Originally Posted By: Fitzoid
I think adding gauntlets, chain mail, etc., to your BOB is probably taking this whole wild dog thing perhaps just a little too far.

I expect you are right, but I thought it wouldn't hurt to do a little fact-gathering first. You never now what might be out there. Maybe a simple, inexpensive, lightweight, unobtrusive, comfortable, and effective guard exists that could be useful in other defense or offense situations.

You might not have time to create any other kind of shield. You could probably use time that might go to improvising a shield to prepare other things.

Edited by dweste (07/18/08 04:29 AM)

#140210 - 07/18/08 06:53 AM Re: Dog defense? [Re: sodak]
KG2V Offline

Veteran

Loc: Queens, New York City
Originally Posted By: sodak
...snip...
Packs would be a whole 'nuther story.

As I said, I can tell you from experience that .303 enfield with hunting rounds works fairly well out to at least 200 or so yards - shot placement doesn't even have to be that good. The GOOD thing about having the payloader was we were able to scoop up the bodies, and bury them quickly

His farm was just tin the "wrong place", far enough from the city to be a farm, close enough that the idiots who wanted to dump a dog, rather than take it to a shelter would bring them to the area, and release them. It didn't help that it was also one of those "vacation communities". The population in the area probably went up 4x between US Memorial day and Labor day, despite it being in Canada (he lived oh, 1/2-3/4 mile from the lake, and close enough to Buffalo that they had tons of US vacationers who owned summer houses)
Blog: http://kg2v.blogspot.com

#140215 - 07/18/08 08:17 AM Re: Dog defense? [Re: dweste]
Spiritwalker Offline

Originally Posted By: dweste
While the group is poised to respond to the alpha dog questions, let's put another question in the hopper.

I have survived a dog attack. The critters are dispersed and dispatched as the situation and my opportunities allow. But I have a painful dog bite that includes a fairly deep laceration my forearm and another to my ankle, neither of which seems to have opened an artery.

I am not likely to find any medical care other than self-help. What first aid stuff do I want to have in my kit to deal with those wounds? What should I do?

Thanks.

Now this is just hypothetical and the internet, not to mention it would be illegal for me to suggest that anyone can try this for themselves to test it's effectiveness on non-serious cuts, scrapes, punctures or boils within the borders of the US, it's territories and protectorates or in any situation other than a life threatening emergency far from and days or weeks away from any possible professional medical help but if you were writing a fictional story and one of your characters was wounded or injured as described, you could write about them...

...stripping off some bark from a live White Pine tree and how the inner bark works extremely well in promoting healing, preventing infection and drawing out any existing infection. You might describe how they bind or tape the inner bark over a thin layer of gauze or sterilized cloth and over the wound (after cleaning out the wound and stopping any bleeding) or applying it directly if they must and changing the whole dressing twice a day if they can.

You could even write about them using an even more effective method of mashing the inner bark up and spreading it thickly (1/4 to 1/2 inch or so) inside a folded piece of sterilized cloth and binding or taping that over the wound in what used to be called a poultice and changing that poultice every day or two... if you were writing a fictional story.

#140237 - 07/18/08 01:08 PM Re: Dog defense? [Re: Blast]
Mike_H Offline
Addict

Loc: SE PA
Originally Posted By: Blast
Quote:
this forum really needs a gourmet/nutrition section

I'll moderate it!

-Blast

Actually, this is really a good idea... All sorts of discussions. Beef jerkey recipes... Blast's bug adventures... MREs / Mainstay rations... Pemmican recipes...

So, how about it?

#140240 - 07/18/08 01:14 PM Re: Dog defense? [Re: Blast]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

Loc: Former AFB in CA, recouping fr...
Do it! But how are you gonna figure out the nutritional rate of June Bugs???

Page 10 of 15 < 1 2 ... 8 9 10 11 12 14 15 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 453 Guests and 95 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.