Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 5 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >
Topic Options
#140144 - 07/17/08 09:27 PM Re: Bolt, wire, fence cutter in the BOB? [Re: dweste]
Hacksaw
Unregistered

Bring zip ties or use your snare wire you could even put it sorta back the way it was without the 'links' to wave in the breeze.

#140151 - 07/17/08 10:16 PM Re: Bolt, wire, fence cutter in the BOB? [Re: ]
dweste Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Central California
Good idea.

#140155 - 07/17/08 10:43 PM Re: Bolt, wire, fence cutter in the BOB? [Re: dweste]
red Offline

I've crossed more fences than I care to remember. I can almost always find a spot where hundreds of others have already crossed. Dweste, in your case, I think the advise to go round or stay on sidewalks is the wisest. If you are encountering many security fences, you aren't really in the "country".

I don't think I'd even contemplate crossing a security fence unless I had an imminent threat to life and limb right behind me.

Another point about travelling unseen: Do it at night with a quarter moon. Amazing how well your night vision adjusts after 45 minutes. Hole up during the day, move at night. Just like the recon dudes in the marines.

#140156 - 07/17/08 10:48 PM Re: Bolt, wire, fence cutter in the BOB? [Re: red]
Hacksaw
Unregistered

Damn me and my impulse buying! I bought the folding bike. It's actually lighter than I thought (but not super light) and more heavily constructed. It's not the most compact (or the prettiest) but they knocked the price down for me...I had to say yes at that point. smile Compared to the next cheapest folding bike in town I saved about 325 bucks.

Edited by Hacksaw (07/17/08 10:48 PM)

#140158 - 07/17/08 10:58 PM Re: Bolt, wire, fence cutter in the BOB? [Re: dweste]
ironraven Offline
Cranky Geek
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Vermont
My thought is people who cut fences aren't friendly. You would not be looked upon with good graces by me if you were cutting my fences, especially in an emergency. Climb it, tell me you are taking the short route, if I belive you, I might even be nice and let you fill your water bottles from the pond as I guide you to the gate.

When a man dare not speak without malice for fear of giving insult, that is when truth starts to die. Truth is the truest freedom.

#140174 - 07/18/08 12:31 AM Re: Bolt, wire, fence cutter in the BOB? [Re: ironraven]
dougwalkabout Offline
Crazy Canuck
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Alberta, Canada
I agree with ironraven.

Bolt cutters are too heavy, and too much of a break-and-enter type tool. Both landowners and law enforcement may well take a dim view of someone carrying and using these.

I suspect that in a genuine long-term emergency, cutting a landowner's fence is an invitation to the "bullet dance." Most people who cut fences are up to no good.

That said, a Leatherman will go through two-strand barbed wire nicely. But the tool I would choose is a genuine Vise-Grip. They have a wire cutter that will go through any wire I've encountered -- even hardened wire. The 5" is light and handy, but a 7" gives much better leverage, and the 10" is the chairman of the board. Easy to justify carrying them, to yourself and others, since they have so many uses off the grid. I wouldn't be without one.

#140176 - 07/18/08 12:56 AM Re: Bolt, wire, fence cutter in the BOB? [Re: dougwalkabout]
dweste Offline
Pooh-Bah

Dudes, the thread has solved the problem. No need for bolt cutters to get through either chain link or barbed wire fences.

That said I will repeat another sentiment posted earlier, if it is your fence or my life, the fence goes. But only in those circumstances.

#140186 - 07/18/08 02:14 AM Re: Bolt, wire, fence cutter in the BOB? [Re: dweste]
dougwalkabout Offline
Crazy Canuck
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Alberta, Canada
My bad. I should have read the thread more closely. Glad you've come to a resolution.
Cheers,
Doug

#140209 - 07/18/08 06:12 AM Re: Bolt, wire, fence cutter in the BOB? [Re: dougwalkabout]
Chris Kavanaugh Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Bugging out. Now there is an interesting word. I think of bugs and it's usually ants or bee swarms. So here we have thousands of people piled up on freeways making like bugs while ETS types are doing ninja flips under overpasses and rolling upright in a Weaver Stance with the Glock they told the whole world they owned online,leaving snares in case the mattress police are hot on their trail and swallowing glorified vitamen survival tablets. I tell you, the local Sahara club 4WD thugs got mad when the ranch I was on put up sucker oil pipe fencing. they threw up this rubble ramp faster than the Romans at Massada and roared over in triumph. Funny thing, some other club was already in the field, only they had tiny running lights and didn't move like those little off road quad runners. But then American Buffalo don't distinguish Sierra club from Sahara and the coyotes had an extra cause to laugh that night.Crawls back into my Wiggy bag, sticks the 12 guage barrel out and munches on fruitcake by LED until the crisis is over.

#140217 - 07/18/08 09:50 AM Re: Bolt, wire, fence cutter in the BOB? [Re: Chris Kavanaugh]
dweste Offline
Pooh-Bah

Ninja flips! Duooh, I knew I forgot one method of going over fences!

Page 5 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >

Moderator:  MartinFocazio, Tyber 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 449 Guests and 12 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Zippo Butane Inserts
by NAro
Today at 11:57 AM
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:21 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.