Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#140235 - 07/18/08 12:53 PM Re: Airman staff goes tactical to spill beans on m [Re: ironraven]
Erik_B Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Somewhere in my own little wor...
Originally Posted By: ironraven
Really....

I love the rice/beans/sausage entree. But the clam chowder... My grandmother would rise from the dead and skin me with her old P-38 can opener if I made chowder that bad.

that's strange. the first time i had clam chowder was from an MRE, and i liked it, but i haven't had a clam chowder i liked since then.

Originally Posted By: ironraven
...Shopping appeals to the soul of the hunter-gatherer.

#140236 - 07/18/08 01:03 PM Re: Airman staff goes tactical to spill beans on mre [Re: ]
Ron Offline

Loc: Georgia, USA
One MRE is not bad, but even though they try to put a good bit of variety in the menus, a MRE is still a MRE. There is a certain sameness to all of them. After several days anything gets old.

Several years ago I had to travel around the state for over a week doing dog and pony shows in different locations. At every stop the meal was excellent grilled steak and baked potato (Yeah, life is rough, but somebody had to do it.) After a week on the road eating nothing but steak and potatoes, I returned home and DW greeted me with, "let's go out to dinner." My response was, "can't we just stay home and eat a hotdog?"

I don't mind MRE's, but I really feel for our guys who have to eat them every day for a extended period.

#140318 - 07/18/08 10:21 PM Re: Airman staff goes tactical to spill beans on mre [Re: Ron]
sodak Offline
Addict

I liked MRE's and C-rats! What's a good source for them?

#140320 - 07/18/08 10:35 PM Re: Airman staff goes tactical to spill beans on m [Re: Erik_B]
ironraven Offline
Cranky Geek
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Vermont
You've seen of my replies in food threads.

You think I'm going to like any soup that isn't from scratch? *laughs*

When a man dare not speak without malice for fear of giving insult, that is when truth starts to die. Truth is the truest freedom.

#140326 - 07/18/08 11:02 PM Re: Airman staff goes tactical to spill beans on mre [Re: Fitzoid]
MDinana Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Beer&Cheese country
Originally Posted By: Fitzoid
Ok, gentlemen, now let's get to the brass tacks:

1) What's the longest after its expiration date that you've eaten an MRE?

2) How much Imodium did you require?

3) How loudly did your wife say, "I told you so!"

4) How long did you wait before trying it again?

1) Decades. It was part of the "Earthquake food" of the 80s and 90s when my dad was in the military. I stated eating them (to get rid of them, so there was room to replace) in 2004. Probably the oldest was from mid/late 80s.

2) Most of them, none. Only 1 had a funky (-er than usual) taste.

3) No wife.

4) I kept going. Tossed the funky dish, finished the entrees and snacks.

#140350 - 07/19/08 01:14 AM Re: Airman staff goes tactical to spill beans on mre [Re: camerono]
Breaker Offline
Stranger

Loc: mid michigan

I like m.r.e. have been eating them quite regulary for 20 years or so. am working on a case from 95 at this time have only hade one bad pack love umm breaker

#140360 - 07/19/08 02:23 AM Re: Airman staff goes tactical to spill beans on mre [Re: camerono]
Art_in_FL Offline
Pooh-Bah

Originally Posted By: cameron2trade

Point being C-Rations were edable well over 50 years after production while stored in an un-tempurature regulated barn for 50 years.

Gosh I miss summering on the farm as a kid!

Cameron

They might not have been 50 years old. C-rations were still being issued in 1980 and were available through civilian shops years after that.

Actually I always liked C-rations. They were never a culinary delight, and some dishes were far less delightful than others (They didn't label them Beans and MFers without good reason), but most were bordering on moderately good and all were eatable if you were hungry. Of course a steady diet of anything tends to lead to a certain level of contempt.

I once worked on a ship that had been stocked for a large celebration that never came. The ship had more steak and lobster than you could shake a stick at. Trying to get rid of it they kept dropping the price. To the point it was $1 for all-you-can-eat. So people dug in. A week later people were bloated on surf-n-turf and couldn't stand to look at it. People started ordering oatmeal, scrambled eggs and BLTs just to have a change of pace. Irony being that those were the same things they complained about before the surf-n-turf was offered.

Nothing wrong with MREs. They are better than the old C-rations. They always go down, stay down and cooperate with the digestive system. I have never had a hint of a problem with them. Of course, some people aren't happy if they aren't complaining.

Bottom line is, in this context, we are talking about survival food. MREs are healthy and easy to work with. If they don't appeal to you I suspect your just not hungry. In which case you shouldn't be eating anyway.

#140999 - 07/23/08 04:11 PM Re: Airman staff goes tactical to spill beans on mre [Re: Art_in_FL]
Hikin_Jim Offline
Sheriff
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Southern California
Good to know that MRE's last so well.

Like others, I think they are too heavy and have too much packaging, but yep they do make good survival rations. They also seem really "heavy" not just in the weight sense but in the hard to digest sense. I find the dehydrated backpacker's meals to be easier to digest. I keep both on hand.

I also still EDC my old P-38 can opener. When I was in the Nat'l Guard in the 80's, we were eating C's with late 60's dates stamped on 'em. They said just don't eat 'em if there's a dent near a seam. No problems. The older 60's ones had applesauce, which was quite good (the then current 80's versions had peaches and fruit cocktail -- both good -- but no applesauce). Canned scrambled eggs? Two thumbs down. And the fruitcake? Maybe if I were really really hungry. lol. Brings back memories.

Do they still have freeze dried strawberries in MRE's? The early versions, again going back to the 80's here, had freeze dried strawberries, and man were they good. The MRE's I've had lately didn't have 'em anymore, but I many not have had every variety of MRE.

#141056 - 07/23/08 08:43 PM Re: Airman staff goes tactical to spill beans on mre [Re: ]
Art_in_FL Offline
Pooh-Bah

I keep thinking that for survival food the old C-rations weren't all that bad. If the price was low and the meals selected any of the better ones I would gladly order a couple of cases.

Sounds to me like a potential; business opportunity.

#141239 - 07/24/08 10:00 PM Re: Airman staff goes tactical to spill beans on mre [Re: Art_in_FL]
comms Offline
Veteran

Loc: Mesa, AZ
I have an MRE at my desk in case I get hungry and can't leave. It's Beef Enchilada in Sauce. I bought it piecemeal from an A/N store.

There is no expiration date on the cardboard box or the foil wrapper. Either that means it never expires or it was never good enough to eat.

Then again, that sort of sums MRE's up, doesn't it.

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (Herman30), 415 Guests and 78 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Yesterday at 01:15 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Amanda Nenigar found dead
by Phaedrus
04/05/24 04:39 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.