Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#140162 - 07/17/08 11:14 PM Re: Airman staff goes tactical to spill beans on mre [Re: ]
ironraven Offline
Cranky Geek
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Vermont
That is how you know it was authentically Canadian- packed by Sasquatches. *grins and ducks*

When a man dare not speak without malice for fear of giving insult, that is when truth starts to die. Truth is the truest freedom.

#140163 - 07/17/08 11:17 PM Re: Airman staff goes tactical to spill beans on mre [Re: ]
SwampDonkey Offline
Veteran

Loc: Northeastern Ontario, Canada
Sorry Hacksaw!

#140164 - 07/17/08 11:23 PM Re: Airman staff goes tactical to spill beans on mre [Re: Fitzoid]
SwampDonkey Offline
Veteran

Loc: Northeastern Ontario, Canada
MRE/IMP Questions

1) 5 years after expiry

2) No Imodium required, I have never had a problem.

3) After 20 years my wife ignores me; like out-of-style furniture or a tired old dog.

4) I still eat MRE/IMP's when I am in the bush and have nothing better (I think I ate 3 this month).

Mike

#140170 - 07/18/08 12:27 AM Re: Airman staff goes tactical to spill beans on m [Re: ]
Fitzoid Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: WI, MA, and NYC
That's really funny. I also eat them when my wife's away to cycle through the stock. (She won't touch them.)

I've gotten sick from some "fresh" ones, but my experience is the government sometimes gives ridiculously conservative expiration dates to things to account for worst-case scenarios, e.g., they're stored in the desert for a summer or two.

Nonetheless, I'd definitely draw the line at dates from the previous century... grin

#140180 - 07/18/08 01:07 AM Re: Airman staff goes tactical to spill beans on m [Re: Fitzoid]
BobS Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Toledo Ohio
Originally Posted By: Fitzoid
Ok, gentlemen, now let's get to the brass tacks:

1) What's the longest after its expiration date that you've eaten an MRE?

What's an expiration date???

You can run, but you'll only die tired.

#140182 - 07/18/08 01:10 AM Re: Airman staff goes tactical to spill beans on m [Re: BobS]
Fitzoid Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: WI, MA, and NYC
Originally Posted By: BobS

What's an expiration date???

Ok, we have a winner. Best response yet.

#140183 - 07/18/08 02:11 AM Re: Airman staff goes tactical to spill beans on mre [Re: camerono]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

Loc: Former AFB in CA, recouping fr...
Man oh man, I had forgotten all about the Airman magazine! Last copy I remember seeing had a pic of two airmen mixed in with all the Marines at Khe Sahn during the seige. Glad they are still in print.

Re MRE's, as I have said here more than once, anyone who gripes about MRE's never had to live on C-rats. Sure, MRE's are not perfect, but they are better. A lot better...

#140192 - 07/18/08 03:04 AM Re: Airman staff goes tactical to spill beans on mre [Re: OldBaldGuy]
camerono Offline

When I was a about 11 or 12. 25 years ago I found 1/2 dozen c-rations in the barn at my grandparents house. Brown box with all of the "cool" stuff inside. Don't know if they should have had the 10 pack of smokes or not but if they should have had they were gone. Asked Grandma if it was ok to eat them. She said sure but smell them first to make sure they arn't rotten. This was my first experience with a P-38. Took me a while to figure it out.

They were left over from my uncle in WW-II. Don't know why he brought them home and I am sure he wouldn't remember now.....in his late 80's.

Anyway it's quite a reminicent moment for me. Mostly I didn't get sick and I carried the neet little gum packets around all summer and ate them sparingly.

Point being C-Rations were edable well over 50 years after production while stored in an un-tempurature regulated barn for 50 years.

Gosh I miss summering on the farm as a kid!

Cameron

#140224 - 07/18/08 11:37 AM Re: Airman staff goes tactical to spill beans on mre [Re: Fitzoid]
Mike_H Offline
Addict

Loc: SE PA

2) How much Imodium did you require?

3) How loudly did your wife say, "I told you so!"

4) How long did you wait before trying it again?

Let's see...

1) I opened up an MRE that was Corned Beef Hash just a few months ago that I bought in a case of MREs back in the very early 90s. 93 was the last year of production for that treat. So, at minimum, we are talking 15 years old. I suspect it was older than that. MREs were always stored in a cool basement. Food was still good. Crackers were still... well... crackers... Jelly was still good. I was very impressed!

2) No Imodium needed. I never had a problem eating MREs.

3) My wife has tried MREs with me before. I even gave her dad some Minestrone ones and he has taken them to work to eat and enjoys them.

4) I eat them when I go camping typically.

I also like the dehydrated Mountain House meals. I guess something has to be truely vile for me not to eat it. A few "camping" meals I've tried fit that bill.

#140227 - 07/18/08 12:15 PM Re: Airman staff goes tactical to spill beans on mre [Re: ]
BillLiptak Offline
Enthusiast

I can say that I like MREs, in fact I used to love running around in the late 70's and early 80's in my khakis and cammies, playing "war" and scarfing down c-rats I used to pick up at the local surplus store. Looking back now I'm not sure how much of it was actually enjoying the c-rats for the taste (although I loved the ham patties and still do-you can them from hormel still commercially) or the fact that I was eating honest to god army food in the bush like they used to. I admit with MREs its like comparing a McDonalds burger to a steak, inferior in just about every way. But still, tastes good enough to enjoy and fills the belly. Then again I sometimes I crave a McDonalds burger over steak so..........

-Bill Liptak

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 290 Guests and 44 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.