Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#139963 - 07/17/08 12:11 PM Re: If you're going on a long walkabout - Bicycle? [Re: ]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
On the subject of fixing your bike -- I've had a bike hanging in my garage for years, long enough for the grease to dry up and the rubber to crack. It's a good frame and crankset, but the bike needs to be torn down and rebuilt.

Along comes the REI Comprehensive Bike Maintenance Course and for the cost of taking this course I get to take it all apart and learn how to build a bike by doing it myself. Along the way I'll replace the tubes and tires, brake pads, clean and relube the whole thing and make sure I really have a useable tool kit under the seat.

Back to the original subject. . . yeah some places the head wind can be tough 10 mph into a hot 40 mph wind and you don't go far.

#139977 - 07/17/08 01:27 PM Re: If you're going on a long walkabout - Bicycle? [Re: Russ]
Hacksaw
Unregistered

Anybody ever thought about a folding bike? I'm looking at one tonight to use as a commuter and canoe bike. Having a bike under your desk at work could come in damn handy if you had to get out fast and public transit and traffic made it impossible to do anything else but walk.

#139981 - 07/17/08 01:32 PM Re: If you're going on a long walkabout - Bicycle? [Re: ]
dweste Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Central California
Mountain bike secured to vehicle where your BOB is secured.

#139982 - 07/17/08 01:34 PM Re: If you're going on a long walkabout - Bicycle? [Re: ]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

Loc: Former AFB in CA, recouping fr...
I have seen lots of RV'ers pull out a folding bike, flip it open, and pedal away merrily. So I guess it could work in your "under the desk" scenario. Those I have seen had pretty small diameter wheels, limited gearing, and very limited cargo carrying capablilty (or so it looked to me), so I don't think that they would work in the "walkabout" thing. As a canoe bike, I suspect that you'd better have really good trails when you try to use one...

#139983 - 07/17/08 01:37 PM Re: If you're going on a long walkabout - Bicycle? [Re: TeacherRO]
Fitzoid Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: WI, MA, and NYC
I did month-long bike tours around the east coast over summers for several years, alternating between youth hostels and camping. Hostels are great; you get a kitchen, running water, shower, etc. Your on your own during the day, as they are usually closed.

It is a wonderful way to travel. It requires a certain degree of training; riding 50-100 miles a day for a month is not easy (take the weekends off), but my experience was people I met everywhere were incredibly friendly. It's also much easier to get around towns, do laundry, etc. (I think cyclists are viewed as one step up from campers. grin)

You do need to know how to fix and maintain your bike, which most dedicated cyclists already know how to do. And fortunately, touring requires you stay on paved roads and there are almost always other friendly cyclists around to lend a helping hand, provide a spare CO2 cartridge, etc.

But in the US, most hostels have strict age limits, which I think is a very good idea. European hostels are a little more relaxed, and that last hostel I stay in was in Ireland 5 years ago. (Had an awesome time but now I'd feel silly staying in a hostel with a bunch of kids.)

#140028 - 07/17/08 03:16 PM Re: If you're going on a long walkabout - Bicycle? [Re: Fitzoid]
Hacksaw
Unregistered

My canoe plans are to ride up stream by highway pulling the canoe (I know it sounds strange but it's been done http://www.bikeforest.com/canoe/index.php I'm also looking at folding canoes) to an urban destination and paddling back...or paddle down stream and ride back.

You can get full size folding bikes. One of the bikes on my 'check it out' list is a Dahon with 26" wheels. It's more likely I'll get something that doesn't cost so much. Even if it's a poor touring bike it would still be a good commuter. All but the cheapest folding bikes are built pretty tough...they need to be to stay together.

I'd rather take my Rocky Mountain RC-30 touring...it's pefect for it even with only a single gear but since it's a 700c sized bike with a larger frame, there's no way I'd get it into a canoe unless I put a bike rack on the gunwales...might be a tiny bit top heavy wink Right now it's my main winter bike and I'm starting to get tired of re-fitting the tires, pedals, fenders, and gearing every spring and again every winter. I don't have room for a second bike at my condo which is another bonus for the folding bike.

#140065 - 07/17/08 04:51 PM Re: If you're going on a long walkabout - Bicycle? [Re: ]
dweste Offline
Pooh-Bah

Hacksaw, have you looked at poling your canoe upstream? I used to do that all the time to avoid having to enlist somebody to drop me off. It is tricky at first but becomes suprisingly easy and fun - like all canoeing once you get used to it.

#140081 - 07/17/08 05:54 PM Re: If you're going on a long walkabout - Bicycle? [Re: dweste]
Hacksaw
Unregistered

I thought about it but I couldn't get enough information on how practical that is on the North Saskatchewan. It's pretty deep in places and when the water is high it's deep everywhere.

The bicycle idea came to me one day while I was reading about folding kayaks. Once I found the article about the two guys on the Bow River I got hooked on that idea.

I'm snobishly self sufficient hehehe. I could never let anybody drive me somewhere so I could paddle back. And I'd never leave my car somewhere so I had to go retrieve it later.

Plus with a bike and a folding canoe it makes urban portaging a fun detour instead of a chore.

#140083 - 07/17/08 05:57 PM Re: If you're going on a long walkabout - Bicycle? [Re: ]
dweste Offline
Pooh-Bah

Typically you pole a canoe upstream close to shore, or wherever the river is shallowest, often going from back eddy to back eddy for a free ride upstream where you can find it.

#140089 - 07/17/08 06:03 PM Re: If you're going on a long walkabout - Bicycle? [Re: ]
Hacksaw
Unregistered

Quick Addendum...

I've been reading up more on touring on folding bikes today. It's quite the popular pass time in the UK it seems where folding bikes are much more popular. I was worried about parts availability if on a long tour and didn't have enough supplies to make repairs on the road...but I learned a few things that are causing me to change my mind.

Bikes with 20" tires (unless a 'high performance' folding bike) will take standard BMX tires unless they're super knobby...available everywhere. Same with tubes.

They use standard gearing hardware usually made by a major brand name like Shimano so service and even replacement on the road is a possibility. They usually only have one ring gear so there's less to go wrong. Some have geared hubs which are expensive but ultra low maintenance.

Brakes are usually standard so sourcing pads on the fly is also a possibility.

Frames are usually made from Aluminum unless it's a model from the 70's or 80's. This means you can't get a broken frame welded in the middle of nowhere by a local...but if you got some of those good 'miracle' aluminum brazing rods you could make repairs sufficient to get you home and all you'd need is a torch and a few basics...you might even be able to carry it with you in your tool kit. I've used that stuff on Motorcycle sub frames and it was more than strong enough to get people home.

Most of them have 6 or 7 gears (some have more, some have 1). This means that there is usually no true 'granny' gear for getting up steep hills. If you stick to paved roads this shouldn't be an issue unless you're loaded down and/or on some crazy mountain passes. I was surprised to learn that even the slightest folding bikes usually have a capacity of at least 200lbs. The one I'm looking at tonight is supposedly rated for over 240.

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  MartinFocazio, Tyber 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 134 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.