Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 4 of 15 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 14 15 >
Topic Options
#139935 - 07/17/08 03:05 AM Re: Dog defense? [Re: BrianB]
BrianB Offline

I should put a disclaimer here: Everything I've said in this thread is a result of personal experience, including being attacked a few times by dogs. It should not be construed as professional advice, just food for thought. Do your research, and make sound decisions NOT based on something you read on a message board. Should go without saying, but I don't want to misrepresent myself here. =)

#139937 - 07/17/08 03:08 AM Re: Dog defense? [Re: BrianB]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

Loc: Former AFB in CA, recouping fr...
"...Malanois..."

Ah, the devil dog. The CHP loves them. I know of one male that flattened a tire on a 12 passenger van with one bite. They can hurt you. A lot...

#139939 - 07/17/08 03:14 AM Re: Dog defense? [Re: dweste]
BrianB Offline

Originally Posted By: dweste
I forgot that I am highly likely to have on a backpack. I think if I was worried about a dog attack, and I had time, I would take the pack off and try to use it as a shield.

I'd say that using anything that doesn't have one of your body parts under it as a shield is a good call. =)

Quote:

But what then? How do I deal with a dog that has, thankfully, grabbed my back instead of me? How do you persuade a dog to go away? How can you disable a dog so it loses interest in continuing an attack? And if you need to kill it ...?

Have you considered your footwear in this equation? Some steel toed boots can do a lot do dissuade the under-committed type of dog who's just trying to run you off. Dog ribs are about as sensitive as yours or mine. So can yelling basic commands, like "STOP!" "SIT!" and "DOWN!" as if you're the owner.

Quote:

This thread is getting a bit morbid for me, but if I cannot bug in and have to bug out I want to give this serious thought. I am already thinking about its impact on my BOB gear list.

Thanks.

Think about what you'll be carrying, and who you will be traveling with. Your hands should be free and your arms should have good freedom of movement. If you're traveling with a wife or child, then you need to factor them into the equation, as well. Most importantly, you need to train them not to run, which makes them a target.

A can of bear spray on a hip or pack strap is probably a good call. It's legal most anywhere, and if you practice, you can hit a target without unholstering it. Most manufacturers will provide practice cartridges for you to safely practice with. A preemptive strike with pepper spray is a heck of a lot safer for the animal and your conscience should you wonder later if it was necessary.

My personal preference would be pepper spray backed up by a large bore handgun, preferably a .45 auto, loaded with good defensive ammo.

#139940 - 07/17/08 03:15 AM Re: Dog defense? [Re: dweste]
BobS Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Toledo Ohio
Pepper spray or a gun, the gun being the safer bet as even if it’s attacking and could overcome the spray, it’s a lot harder to overcome several bullets or shotgun round.

A shotgun would be great but I think a 22 (10 shot Ruger) will work with a Dog. I know a 22-250 works.

You can run, but you'll only die tired.

#139941 - 07/17/08 03:16 AM Re: Dog defense? [Re: OldBaldGuy]
BrianB Offline

Originally Posted By: OldBaldGuy
"...Malanois..."

Ah, the devil dog. The CHP loves them. I know of one male that flattened a tire on a 12 passenger van with one bite. They can hurt you. A lot...

What impressed me is that this female was about half the size of the rest of our dogs. I never volunteered to help our trainers with those beasts. She was very well-mannered, but the patrol/attack dogs were somewhat psychotic.

#139942 - 07/17/08 03:18 AM Re: Dog defense? [Re: BobS]
BrianB Offline

Originally Posted By: BobS

A shotgun would be great but I think a 22 (10 shot Ruger) will work with a Dog. I know a 22-250 works.

Would you use a .22LR as your primary defense against a human attacker?

#139943 - 07/17/08 03:21 AM Re: Dog defense? [Re: MDinana]
Fitzoid Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: WI, MA, and NYC
Originally Posted By: MDinana
Originally Posted By: Fitzoid

Also, feral dogs are very different than farm dogs, which are used to people and generally friendly. Feral dogs that are unafraid of people are the worst.

I don't know what farm dogs you've been around, but every damned one in Missouri would chase me on my bike for blocks. It got to the point where it was either A) bring my rifle, or B) stop riding in the countryside.

Ah, a farm dog might chase you but a pack of feral dogs would eat you. So, I speak in relative terms. grin I don't generally worry about farm dogs. However, wild dogs, coys, and abandoned pets are another thing entirely.

#139944 - 07/17/08 03:25 AM Re: Dog defense? [Re: BobS]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

Loc: Former AFB in CA, recouping fr...
Comparing a .22 to a .22-250 is apples to nukes...

#139946 - 07/17/08 03:33 AM Re: Dog defense? [Re: BrianB]
BobS Offline
Old Hand

Originally Posted By: BrianB
Originally Posted By: BobS

Would you use a .22LR as your primary defense against a human attacker?

I would feel very comfortable with a 10-22 with a 25-round clip or even a Mark 2 with 10 rounds.

I know everyone thinks they are great shots, but I am fairly good at shooting, I do a lot of it. I feel 10 22-rounds would stop a dog. The one time I did shoot a dog that came at me, I got it on the first (and only shot) in the head with a 22-250 fired from my hip as I was walking back to my van after woodchuck hunting. I was walking along a railroad track (magazine on the gun loaded with the bolt open) and the dog broke through the brush 20 feet away and growled and started for me, I stopped and backed away slow. It kept coming. I worked the bolt and fired from the hip.

I think I could stop a person with a 22 that broke into my home.

#139949 - 07/17/08 03:40 AM Re: Dog defense? [Re: OldBaldGuy]
BobS Offline
Old Hand

Originally Posted By: OldBaldGuy
Comparing a .22 to a .22-250 is apples to nukes...

My point with the 22-250 was not the power, it is about bullet placement. I feel very confident of my bullet placement ability.

I know people that upon occasion take a deer down with a 22 lr by shooting it in the head (Not me as I don’t hunt deer.)
Don't underestimate a 22 because it looks small.

I work at my friends gun shop part time am around a lot of gun people.

Page 4 of 15 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 14 15 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 269 Guests and 21 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.