Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Topic Options
#1396 - 08/23/01 10:45 PM Binoculars
Anonymous
Unregistered

Are any of you familiar with any reliable guides to selecting binoculars? I want to add a small (Less than a pound) pair for camping and travel. <br><br> I think a roof prism design would be the smallest and easiest. I looked at Bruntons ($150) but found their optics to be no better than a similar sized pair of Nikons ($90). Then I looked at a tiny pair of Tascos ($20) and thought they weren't that much worse than the Nikons. Then I tried a pair of Zeiss ($300) and was absolutely blown away with how great the view was and how much light they let in. I would like to try a pair of Minox but I can't find a listing for a dealer nearby.<br><br>The salesman at Gander Mountain said that he owns both the Nikons and the Tascos. Keeps the cheap ones for hunting.<br><br>I would like to use these primarily for camping and wildlife viewing, although it would be nnice to have them for sporting events. We will also be traveling overseas for several weeks to adopt a child and will have a very limited weight restriction.<br><br>Any thoughts you could have would be welcome.<br><br>

#1397 - 08/24/01 02:09 AM Re: Binoculars
Chris Kavanaugh Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Optics are like computers,there are so many choices and such rapid advancements it's hard to say anything with surety. You need to determine what power resolution is comfortable and fullfills your needs. For many years 7x35 was the standard for lightweight Birding glasses. Hunting optics has given us many more options. You must insist on fully sealed, weatherproof bodies. Note I did not say waterproof. You dont have to be in a rainforest to experience nitrogen leakage and fogging. Sometimes looking at old technology helps to understand the advanced technology of today. Check out www.deutcheoptik.com and www. sovietski.com Deutsche has an extensive inventory of reconditioned optical gear, Including East German border guard glasses that are still amazing. There is a form you should acquire from U.S. Customs BEFORE leaving the U.S. I know of several people who had to pay duty on Japanese lens purchased here and taken overseas.<br><br>

#1398 - 08/24/01 01:53 PM Re: Binoculars
Anonymous
Unregistered

I love my Steiner Compact Safari 8 x 22's. www.SierraTradingPost.com may still have these for $99.95 !!!!<br><br>

#1399 - 08/24/01 02:31 PM www.betterviewdesired.com
AndyO Offline

Loc: Jawja
Better view desired is the definitive guide for sporting optics. You will not be disappointed. IMHO. a pair of premium 8x30 glasses from Swarovski, Leica, Zeiss, Nikon (superior E) are the best investment an outdoorsman can make. They are expensive and weigh about 2.5 lbs, but are worth both. I have a pair of 8x30 Swarovski's that are also waterproof and rubber coated. I take them everywhere. They are truly a constant companion.<br><br>

#1400 - 08/24/01 05:31 PM Re: Binoculars
Chris Kavanaugh Offline
Carpal Tunnel

As an aside, optics are a valueable asset in a larger kit. While it is a basic principle to stay put if lost, scanning the immediate vicinity alerts us to potential rescuers, resources and potential hazards.<br><br>

#1401 - 08/24/01 05:52 PM Re: www.betterviewdesired.com
Chris Kavanaugh Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Andy, that is an incredible site! Thankyou! When Doug returns have him list it in resources! Now I must rest my own lens from reading it all LOL <br><br>

#1402 - 09/04/01 11:00 PM Re: Binoculars
Anonymous
Unregistered

Hi - I'm new here.<br><br>Allow me to second those that have said owning a nice pair of binocs is a joy. And like every other piece of outdoors equip, the ones you are willing to carry are the best!<br><br>I bought a pair of 8x20 zeiss in Hong Kong 20 years ago - cherished them until they were stolen. I fumed for a few years, then bought a replacement.<br><br>This time I bought Leica, as I felt they were a bit superior. <br><br>One you get used to 8x20, you won't miss the larger objective. <br><br>I just field tested mine against Swarovski (sp?) 8x40's on a boat. No one could believe how well my little guys did against the big ones. <br><br>8 x20's hang from a nice little cord, and can sit right in your shirt pocket. This is the way to go! <br><br>A good source is: http://www.samplelist.com/<br><br>I bought mine there and they were just fine.<br><br>JustBob.<br><br>

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 269 Guests and 21 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.