Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#138480 - 07/02/08 08:25 PM My new light
BillLiptak Offline
Enthusiast

Well after all the praises for the fenix aaa light, i finally decided to get one to replace my mag-light solitaire in my Victorinox S.O.S. pouch. I ordered it friday, june 30th and just got it today. i can say im very impressed, just as bright as my Gerber Infinity to my untrained eye. Its a little shorter than the solitaire, but by using the supplied split ring it more or less sits at the same height. There is no comparing the light output for the solitaire vs. the fenix.
For those who might be interested i got mine from Fenixstore.com. Price was $15.00, free shipping via USPS.

-Bill Liptak

#138511 - 07/03/08 02:21 AM Re: My new light [Re: BillLiptak]
duckear Offline
Addict

I have their single AA light

80 lumens on high.

Very nice lights.

I hope you enjoy yours as much as I have mine.

#138534 - 07/03/08 10:38 AM Re: My new light [Re: duckear]
Jackal Offline

Loc: cornwall UK
fenix lights are very good i have several and am looking forward to getting the Fenix E20 Black Finish Q2 which i have preordered

#138535 - 07/03/08 10:41 AM Re: My new light [Re: Jackal]
Tjin Offline
Pooh-Bah

Even though i have had bought many more modern lights, mine favorite is still the good old Fenix L1P. Still going strong after 3 years on mine belt.

So i'm a happy customer, i didn't even had te replace the o-ring or spare switch cover. Although i did worn out the belt holster.

#139531 - 07/13/08 05:54 AM Re: My new light [Re: BillLiptak]
Nicodemus Offline
Paranoid?
Veteran

Loc: Virginia, US
I just got my Fenix L2D CE today, and thus far I'm very happy with it. Granted, I've just been playing around with it and will know more as time goes by.

I was in the market for a light to replace my Pelican M6 2330 LED, which served me well for the last couple of years and still works great, but had a number of shortcomings in my opinion.

My first problem with the Pelican is that the CR123s that power it never caught on like I thought they would and therefore remain very expensive. Sure I can still find them locally, but they usually cost between $9.00 and $12.00 per pair. I found many places online that sell CR123s in bulk for a lot less, but I really had to buy a large quantity to start seeing some real price breaks. I did eventually make a bulk order and so have batteries for the Pelican in case of an emergency, but I soon ran into another problem.

The second problem wasn't so much the Pelican's fault, but my own. The M6 just wasn't made for what I intended to use it for, which is a solid light source for use in an extended emergency or for long repetitive hikes at night. From the second you turn on the Pelican M6 2330 it begins to dim, and at the 2 hour mark it's at 50% brightness. I perceived it as being dimmer than that, but I'll go with the more scientific tests at Flashlight Reviews. I figured I could never carry enough batteries in my BOB for an extended emergency without making a number of weight related sacrifices. The Pelican just burned through batteries too quickly. In the end I decided it was more bright than necessary in most situations as well.

So, I started looking around and reading some reviews, which led me to the Fenix L2D CE. This light seems to fix the two problems I had with the Pelican M6. The L2D uses 2 AA batteries, which are widely used and so are much cheaper than CR123s, and it has multiple output levels so I can choose between brightness and runtime. There's a good review of the Fenix L2D CE at Flashlight Reviews.

I have no affiliation with Fenix, Pelican or Flashlight Reviews.

Edited by Nicodemus (07/13/08 05:57 AM)

#139551 - 07/13/08 06:14 PM Re: My new light [Re: BillLiptak]
Nishnabotna Offline
Icon of Sin
Addict

Loc: Nebraska
Originally Posted By: BillLiptak
Well after all the praises for the fenix aaa light, i finally decided to get one to replace my mag-light solitaire in my Victorinox S.O.S. pouch. I ordered it friday, june 30th and just got it today. i can say im very impressed, just as bright as my Gerber Infinity to my untrained eye. Its a little shorter than the solitaire, but by using the supplied split ring it more or less sits at the same height. There is no comparing the light output for the solitaire vs. the fenix.
For those who might be interested i got mine from Fenixstore.com. Price was $15.00, free shipping via USPS.

-Bill Liptak

So what made you pick the Fenix over the Gerber then? Just curious. I like my Infinity but I'm not married to it...

#139754 - 07/16/08 12:07 AM Re: My new light [Re: BillLiptak]
ratbert42 Offline

Loc: Florida
Wow. I missed the introduction of the E01. That's a nice light for $15. I've carried the similar $50+ Arc AAA-P on my keychain for over 2 years. It barely shows any wear and is still on its first battery.

#139759 - 07/16/08 12:55 AM Re: My new light [Re: ratbert42]
dougwalkabout Offline
Crazy Canuck
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Alberta, Canada
I like the Fenix tribe in theory, but in practice (grouch alert!) my experiences have been hit-and-miss.

I had major problems with an L1T (bought the L2T body as well). Low mode died. High mode continued. I should note that the retailer sent a replacement, without a fight. Can't complain about that. But my trust has gone "conditional." I would definitely, always carry a backup.

Compare this to the Streamlight line (again, my personal experience): heavy, reliable, bombproof, un-sexy-techie. Now we're talkin'. Gotta talk to my source (wholesale!) about the next generation.

Even my un-sexy 2AA LED Maglite has performed above and beyond the call. But (as everyone knows) when the batts go low, the light goes out without warning. Be prepared. Otherwise, it's a workhorse.

#139764 - 07/16/08 01:30 AM Re: My new light [Re: dougwalkabout]
MRPrice Offline

Loc: Tulsa, OK. United States of Am...
I've been half looking for a new EDK light. The Fenix E01 looks nice but doesn't meet one of my requirements. Sorry if it's a touch off topic but this seemed like a good thread to ask.

I do like the price but I would really like to find a single battery light that used AA. It's just a personal preference but I like to have everything using size if possible. I did see mention of singe AA light by them in the thread but I haven't found one yet at that very nice $15 price point.

Any thoughts on a single battery, AA, waterproof enough to survive a swim and able to survive the occasional drop for around the same price range as the E01.

Thanks for the time,

Mark

Edited by MRPrice (07/16/08 12:22 PM)

#139821 - 07/16/08 02:54 PM Re: My new light [Re: MRPrice]
BillLiptak Offline
Enthusiast

Nishnabotna, first lemme say sorry it took so long to reply....I primarily surf this site at work on my phone. Compression and loading times means I don't always keep up with posts that get burried under "hotter" topics of discussion. I carry and love my infinity, it still resides on my keychain. I got the fenix to replace my maglite solitaire that's with my Vic swisschamp. I have the original S.O.S. "Survival Pouch/sheath" that they came out with back in the late 80's. I just started to carry it again, kinda like getting re-aquainted with an old friend. On the older model pouch its split into 2 side by side compartments. One side is the knife, the other is for the various survival items. On the outside of each pouch, on the side is a leather tunnel. One for a sharpening stone, the other for a maglite solitaire. LED technology has evolved by leaps and bounds since then and I figured it would be of benefit to replace the solitaire (pathetic light output) with something more akin to 21st century technology. I chose the fenix over the arc, 35 buck is a big savings in my book and both seem to be comprable.

-Bill Liptak

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 429 Guests and 467 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.