Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 6 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >
Topic Options
#141375 - 07/25/08 04:38 PM Re: SLEEPING ARRANGEMENTS [Re: ]
dweste Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Central California
Originally Posted By: Hacksaw
At most I'll have 6 layers and at minimum 2 or 3 depending.

What 6 layers would that be?

Thanks.

#141378 - 07/25/08 04:51 PM Re: SLEEPING ARRANGEMENTS [Re: dweste]
Hacksaw
Unregistered

Here's the full parts list. I rarely carry all layers unless I'm expecting it to be -35C or worse. I'll usually carry more than I need though since the individual parts are fairly light and I like to be ready for unexpected weather. Snow in July isn't impossible here.
  • MEC Merino Wool long underwear tops and bottoms (they were getting thin so they've been demoted to dedicated sleepwear duty)
  • Silk Mummy Bag liner
  • AMK 2.0 bivy
  • The North Face Aleutian bag (+20F rated)
  • MEC Penguin Overbag. Long. (+15C rated by itself)
  • REI Minimalist Bivy. Long.
  • MEC Kelvin 2.5 sleep pad. Short.
  • Thermarest RidgeRest foam pad.

In winter I'll wear the long underwear, use the 2.0 bivy as a vapor barrier liner for the bag, both sleeping bags, the REI bivy, and both sleep pads (the double sleep pad is untested as i just got the Kelvin this spring. I plan to put it inside the REI bivy for additional warmth and comfort with the closed cell pad on the ground/snow). The secret to this systems success is the vapor barrier. I've posted about this topic and this system before so I won't get into it here. Just know that this system has been proven to worse than -30C WITHOUT the Penguin overbag and with only the Ridgerest pad.

For weather like we see right now I'll have the Silk liner, the Penguin overbag and the REI bivy only...that's about the minimum though if it's crazy hot I might just crawl inside the AMK 2.0 bivy. I've yet to be so hot that it seemed like a good thing to do. I sometimes wear the wool undies in the summer too (or instead of the silk) because Wool really helps regulate your body temperature...hot or cold. Silk is just more comfy when the weather gets muggy.

#141385 - 07/25/08 05:21 PM Re: SLEEPING ARRANGEMENTS [Re: ]
dweste Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Central California
Still a bit fuzzy on how you deploy all this.

If it was killer cold, which would be the outside layer, which the next, etc.

Or, if it is esier, staring from the innermost [the underwear, I assume] what layer is next, etc.

Thanks.

#141387 - 07/25/08 05:35 PM Re: SLEEPING ARRANGEMENTS [Re: dweste]
benjammin Offline
Rapscallion
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Anchorage AK
Polyethylene or silk weave underlayer next to my skin for comfort and wicking. Then thin woven merino wool layer, then breathable nylon or poly shirt and pants, then breathable waterproof fleece shell. That is the clothing extreme, for the sleeping bag I've got a 0 degree 4.5 lb poly bag, oversize, in rectangular form, a full size self inflating mattress pad underneath, and a waterproof breathable fleece blanket to wrap around the bag if need be. This all goes inside a 2 1/2 man 3 season tent, with a deluxe poly tarp guyed and poled over the top of that if need be. But all that is luxury. I usually make do with only part of that list.

#141394 - 07/25/08 05:52 PM Re: SLEEPING ARRANGEMENTS [Re: dweste]
Hacksaw
Unregistered

Originally Posted By: dweste
Still a bit fuzzy on how you deploy all this.

If it was killer cold, which would be the outside layer, which the next, etc.

Or, if it is esier, staring from the innermost [the underwear, I assume] what layer is next, etc.

Thanks.

I wish I could draw this...it's how I planned it out in the first place last year. Here it is again starting from the inner most layer using winter as an example since it's got most of the layers

• Long underwear is the inner most layer obviously.
  • AMK 2.0 bivy is next. It acts as a vapor barrier and radiated heat reflector
  • Aleutian sleeping bag is next as the main insulation
  • Penguin overbag as extra insulation
  • All this goes on top of a MEC Kelvin 2.5 sleeping pad
  • All the above goes inside an REI minimalist bivy
  • Under it all is the closed cell sleep pad.

With the exception of the pads the whole thing is kept together and rolled up all nested inside itself toe first. Then I put it into an Outdoor Research drycomp compression bag so it fits nicely into my pack. The summer set gets similar treatment only in a smaller compression bag.

#141411 - 07/25/08 06:51 PM Re: SLEEPING ARRANGEMENTS [Re: ]
Hacksaw
Unregistered

Found it. Search for "sleep system" (include the quotes) and you should find the 3 or 4 posts I made over the winter about my crazy sleep kit and subsequent balcony test session.

#141421 - 07/25/08 08:02 PM Re: SLEEPING ARRANGEMENTS [Re: ]
Spiritwalker Offline

I use my Hennessy Hammock with the 4-season system in all kinds of weather but haven't been able to try it out in very cold weather yet. One thing I did add was an "underblanket" from Wiggy's, It's not listed on their website but they do make them on a per order basis.

If I used a cart or sled in winter with adequate snow, I'd seriously consider getting a Grand Shelters ICEBOX. Come to think of it, I'll have to start researching carts that can convert to sleds for BOB/INCH purposes. (No affiliation with Hennessy, Wiggy's, Grand Shelters or any cart/sled manufacturer or supplier.)

LINK: Grand Shelters ICEBOX

Quote:

* With outside temps of -15 F and two candles burning the temps will
be 48 F at the ceiling 38 F at the floor.

* With no heat source and all occupants in sleeping bags the temps 38 F
at the ceiling and 34 F at the floor.

* No need to sleep with the water bottle.

#141422 - 07/25/08 08:18 PM Re: SLEEPING ARRANGEMENTS [Re: Spiritwalker]
Hacksaw
Unregistered

Igloo's are great but you need the right kind of snow or building one is impossible.

#141426 - 07/25/08 08:29 PM Re: SLEEPING ARRANGEMENTS [Re: ]
Spiritwalker Offline

Using the traditional Eskimo method perhaps but evidently not with this method. The manufacturer claims any kind of snow will work because the friction of packing it into the box causes the particles to bind together. The biggest drawback is that it requires at least two people to use, a "form handler" and at least one shoveler.

#141430 - 07/25/08 08:46 PM Re: SLEEPING ARRANGEMENTS [Re: Spiritwalker]
Hacksaw
Unregistered

I've thrown too many snow balls to believe that. Some types of snow just won't stick to itself...period.

I checked the site again but I didn't see where they specifically claim it works with all types of snow.

Page 6 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 283 Guests and 26 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.