The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#139670 - 07/15/08 01:09 PM Mini Bic and Rock River 1W LED Light
williamlatham Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Stafford, VA, USA
This weekend my son and I were out fishing and just generally messing about in the Rappahannock River here in VA. We were wading, crossing rapids, and ultimately swimming. Decided to test the basic EDC gear and kept my Mini RSK, Rock River 1W LED light (from Target), and a mini bic in my pocket.

End result, the Mini RSK was fine. The Rock River 1W LED light was in fact water resistant/proof (it is o-ring sealed but I was worried about the bezel).

The mini bic, well, we all know that they need to be dried out after a dunking. Tried to blow it out, but was unsuccessful in getting a spark. Waited a while and managed to get a weak spark, but no light. Took a couple of hours to finally light reliably again. End result, I still carry it since 99% of the time it can be kept reasonably dry, but it would have failed if I had an accidental dunking that I needed to start a fire to avoid hypothermia with. Path forward, looking for another fire starting method that will be more water resistant that is small enough for EDC (probably a small fero rod).

Bill

#139671 - 07/15/08 01:17 PM Re: Mini Bic and Rock River 1W LED Light [Re: williamlatham]
Hacksaw
Unregistered

That's something I'd never have thought of. If you're getting hypothermic, you need a fire fast!

I wonder if a piezo lighter like a cheap Ronson would suffer the same?

Personally I carry the firesteel all the time since I got the hang of using it. I only carry a lighter when I may be required to light a cigar smile

#139676 - 07/15/08 01:52 PM Re: Mini Bic and Rock River 1W LED Light [Re: ]
Mike_H Offline
Addict

Loc: SE PA
How fast would a Spark-Lite dry out, light tinder after a dunk?

#139679 - 07/15/08 02:49 PM Re: Mini Bic and Rock River 1W LED Light [Re: williamlatham]
Fitzoid Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: WI, MA, and NYC
These Peanut Lighters are incredibly tiny and dunk-proof. They may be the smallest lighter going and I've been really happy with mine. It has a permanent place on my keychain. (I'm amazed the lighter fluid doesn't evaporate. Try that with a zippo! grin)

There are a couple of other sources for them online, but CountyComm has always done right by me. (No affiliation, just a happy customer.)

#139683 - 07/15/08 03:06 PM Re: Mini Bic and Rock River 1W LED Light [Re: Mike_H]
KenK Offline
"Be Prepared"
Pooh-Bah

Loc: NE Wisconsin
Huh ... I've dunked a Bic lighter under running tap water, shook it out, and within a few minutes got a flame. Maybe it depends on the humidity at the time.

A few months back I tried using a Bic light in a pretty strong wind and was very frustrated. I've used sparkers in similar wind and found them even more frustrating. These days I've taken to carrying jet-type lighters (Storm, Windmill) since they are more windproof. They also have a rubber gasket on the lid, which helps water resistance.

Ken

#139684 - 07/15/08 03:23 PM Re: Mini Bic and Rock River 1W LED Light [Re: KenK]
Mike_H Offline
Addict

Loc: SE PA
I've been pondering adding a storm-type lighter to my camping gear. I was wondering how well they worked. How many lights you can expect. Etc... etc...

I like the stainless steel peanut lighter above, but would definitely have issues with it in windy conditions.

Anyone have any familiarity with this one from REI?

Colibri Extreme II Wind-Resistant Lighter

#139736 - 07/15/08 09:19 PM Re: Mini Bic and Rock River 1W LED Light [Re: Mike_H]
KenK Offline
"Be Prepared"
Pooh-Bah

Loc: NE Wisconsin
I like the Storm ... the only real complaint I have is that the flipped lid only flips 90 degrees or so, which puts the lid a bit in the way in use. It would nice if it flipped all the way over - like the Zippos do. As I recall, the Windmill does about the same thing (not flipping all the way over) though a bit better. Silly problem.

Boy, I haven't a clue as to how long a butane load lasts. It would seem prett easy to time it, though I'd worry about leaving it on too long and maybe melting some parts.

Ken K.

#139743 - 07/15/08 11:05 PM Re: Mini Bic and Rock River 1W LED Light [Re: KenK]
Nicodemus Offline
Paranoid?
Veteran

Loc: Virginia, US
My swimming and fishing PSK is contained in an Aloksak waterproof bag which is then pinned inside of my front pocket, or in the pocket I sewed into the waistband of my swimming trunks. If I get dunked, my fire starting equipment remains dry, and the pin keeps the PSK from getting washed out.

The PSK I carry while hiking and camping is waterproof.

#139763 - 07/16/08 01:30 AM Re: Mini Bic and Rock River 1W LED Light [Re: Nicodemus]
Art_in_FL Offline
Pooh-Bah

My answer to mini-Bics getting wet and becoming nonfunctional is to carry several when I'm in the field. Where rain or getting dunked is an issue one rides in zip-lock.

Also in my kit I carry one that has been sealed in heavy-duty foil tape. This stuff is essentially a 2" wide strip of soft aluminum with a permanent acrylic adhesive protected by a strip of plasticized paper liner. Foil tape is commonly used for assembling and sealing ducts but once you get a roll you will find a lot of uses.

The lighter is wrapped in the tinder and a bit of wax paper to keep the foil tape from sticking and placed on the sticky side of the tape after the liner has been removed. Another piece of the tape is placed over this and pressed down to eliminate as much of the air as possible. The edge is squared off with scissors eliminating any exposed stickum and the corners are rounded to prevent snagging and cuts. Sealed in this way the lighter is very well protected. I have gone swimming with mine and when checked the tinder and lighter was always bone dry.

I have, at various times and situations also carried flint rods, magnesium blocks, match safes and lifeboat matches wrapped in foil or wrapped in wax paper and dipped in wax to seal them. If you feel the need you could carry any or all of these.

I have generally moved away from these as I increasingly see them as unnecessary. But, depending on my mood and the situation, I sometimes slip in a package of four lifeboat matches that has been sealed in wax paper. This is a very compact and light little bundle. A bit slimmer than a mini-Bic. Pretty much small enough to be slipped into a jacket pocket and forgotten about until needed. Which is one of the reasons I like the mini-Bic. Cheap, compact and effective is good.

But my observation has been that usually the lighter works. When it doesn't the second source of fire does. I can't remember ever having to resort to a third. And if it came down to it I could always get primitive and spin a stick with a boot lace.

#139789 - 07/16/08 08:19 AM Re: Mini Bic and Rock River 1W LED Light [Re: Art_in_FL]
bigreddog Offline
Enthusiast

Don't forget that when you need a fire most, your ability to make one will be impaired (i.e. post river dunking with hypothermia coming on, you will have limited fine motor skills)

Also, if your firestarter is wet, how's your tinder?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 269 Guests and 21 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.