Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#139253 - 07/10/08 11:06 AM Rate my Kit?
JustinC Offline

Loc: New England
Okay, yet another idiot wanting a rating on his survival kit. I’ve worked on this kit for quite a while, and with the exception of a couple of items I think I’ve pretty much nailed it, having adequate survival gear for my temperate New England climate, while meeting my desired size and weight. I’ve broken it down into a ‘tier’ system, which is nothing new. However, I’m sure there are holes in my preparations, and I’d like them pointed out. My experience level is good, my training is okay (2-week military survival training, my own personal practice and study, EMT-Basic along with military medical training), but these things could always be better. Gear is merely a substitute for what you carry in your head – but the better the gear….you know the drill. I tried to get pics up, but every time I do my internet quits. Thanks in advance.

Tier One – On person 99% of the time, but offers the least amount of protection
1. Knife – Emerson CQC-7
2. Keys
a. Ferrocerium Rod – I need to add a suitable striker that can be carried on airplanes. Any suggestions?
b. MKII Photon
c. Bison Tube, small – Contains a bit of cotton tinder and a tightly rolled $100 bill.
d. 16” Lanyard (of my own making – doubled 550 cord)
3. Watch with Suunto M9 Wrist Compass
4. Belt – Always!!! Can be used as a lashing, tourniquet, etc.
5. Cell phone – not relied on as wilderness comms!
6. Firearms – I don’t always carry, but when I do, it is typically a Smith and Wesson Model 60-15 - .357 Magnum, 5-shot, 3” barrel, stainless steel. Ammunition varies by application.

Tier Two – In my car. More “stuff” than 1st Tier, but not always handy.
1. Gerber Model 600 Needle-nose multi-tool – Glove Box
2. Surefire G2 Nitrolon Flashlight and spares carrier (6 Batteries and extra lamp) – Glove Box
3. Extensive First Aid Kit – I drive a Nissan X-Terra, and upgraded the factory first aid kit with more 4x4s, sterile 4” gauze, 1 HemCon (hemostatic dressing), a pre-fabricated tourniquet (CAT Tourniquet), 8 gauge needle (for chest decompression), 1 NPA and a set of trauma shears. In addition to first aid items, I also added some general survival items, listed below:
a. 50’ 550# Cord
b. CRKT “Stiff Kiss” fixed blade knife
c. AMK Heatsheet x2
d. Magnesium Block
e. Hurricane matches
f. Emergency candle
g. Mini-maglite with extra lamp and batteries

Tier Three – My backcountry kit. Offers the most protection, but is frequently not handy. Also, this kit is carried in addition to my Tier One kit.
This kit is contained in whatever pack I happen to be hiking with at the time (Camelbak Rim Runner in summer, Kelty Redwing in winter), and invariably the pack will contain a map of the area, appropriate wet/cold weather gear, 2 Nalgene bottles, and a steel cup. However, these items are used normally. Instead of listing everything I carry with me while hiking, below are the items that are dedicated for emergency use only.
My kit is carried in two parts – the survival kit ‘part’, which is contained in a Coghlan’s waterproof pouch (large), and the first aid kit ‘part’. The first aid kit is housed in a red Outdoor Research organizer (unfortunately, I don’t think these are manufactured anymore). These two pouches are stored together, and considered the same kit.

1. Fire Group
a. Spark-Lite – Aluminum version with replaceable flints. I upgraded the container with extra flints and the appropriate hex wrench, and additional tinder.
b. Magnesium Block – Doan, of course
2. Shelter Group
a. AMK Heatsheet x2 – Can also be used as signaling items
b. 550# Cord – 75’
3. Navigation Group
a. Suunto A10 Compass
4. Water Group
a. Katadyn Micro-Pur tablets x12
b. Coghlan’s Large Waterproof Pouch (Product # 8417) – This is an extremely rugged watertight bag. In addition to serving as the container for my kit, this bag is handy for a number of tasks, including water storage and transportation. Also, if inflated, this bag might make a decent flotation device.
5. Signal Group
a. Signal Mirror
6. Food Group
a. Fishing kit, containing line, hooks, sinkers
b. Snare wire
7. Survival Tools
a. Knife – Gerber Air Ranger. Not the sturdiest knife out there, but decent, and this knife is merely a backup to my EDC Emerson CQC-7.
b. Gerber knife sharpener
c. Photon Micro Light – Can also be used as signaling item.
d. Needles (3) and thread (contained in fishing kit)
e. Rite-in-the-Rain Tablet
f. Mechanical Pencil – Maybe I should replace this with a non-mechanical number two?
8. Personal Comfort
a. 100% Deet – 1 oz. Bottle is taped shut.
b. Coffee Bags (Maxwell House Coffee Singles) – 8x, with sugar and cream packets. Not essential to survival, but definitely a “nice to have”. Also, stopping to make a cup of Joe would slow me down and force me to re-think my situation, possibly keeping me from getting myself into more trouble. Building a fire to heat the water would also make me more likely to stay put afterward.
c. Crystal Light single serve packets, 4x

9. First aid kit
a. Bleeds
i. CAT Tourniquet – carried outside the pouch, loosely around it.
ii. HemCon dressing (hemostatic dressing)
iii. 2 combine dressings
iv. 3 4” sterile gauze
v. 10 4x4” gauze pads
vi. Latex Gloves – 1 individually wrapped pair, in case I’m not working on myself.
b. Airway
i. Asherman Chest seal
ii. 8 gauge needle (for decompression)
iii. NPA
iv. Petroleum Gauze – 2, can be used for 4-sided occlusive dressings, among other things
c. Burns
i. WaterGel (1)
d. Minor
i. 1 - Cravat
ii. Neosporin – 5 single serve packets
iii. Bandaids – various, various sizes
iv. Eye drops – 4 single serve packs
v. Advil – 2 single serve packs
vi. Immodium – 1 single serve pack
vii. Chapstick – 1 fresh tube

#139258 - 07/10/08 11:40 AM Re: Rate my Kit? [Re: JustinC]
dweste Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Central California
Nice job overall. Well organized.

Suggestions:

Whistle, mini fishing lure(s), Kevlar thead, antihistamine, Aleve, eyewash, toothbrush, baking powder, disposable razor, mini EMT shears, half a comb, bandana or two, hard candy or sport energy gel packet or two,

Consider adding a Wenger / Victorinx Air Traveler to your Tier one.

#139259 - 07/10/08 12:05 PM Re: Rate my Kit? [Re: dweste]
Nishnabotna Offline
Icon of Sin
Addict

Loc: Nebraska
I don't know how much space you have in your bison tube, but you might want to change the single $100 bill for 5 $20 bills. Who has change for $100 these days? Makes it harder to spend in an emergency.

#139263 - 07/10/08 12:57 PM Re: Rate my Kit? [Re: Nishnabotna]
BillLiptak Offline
Enthusiast

Got beat to the punch, alternative striker use a p-38 on your keyring. Add a whistle and bandanna to your tier one. Definately the whistle to your tier 3 if not tier one. Not flight firendly but for edc I carry a swiss tool, many here carry a multi tool of one make or another. Working in a warehouse I can't see being without one, but you may not require one. Just something to ponder.
All in all looks like a great set-up.

-Bill Liptak

#139266 - 07/10/08 01:17 PM Re: Rate my Kit? [Re: BillLiptak]
Hacksaw
Unregistered

In an emergency I'd have no problem using my knife to strike the rod. Multitools have lots of sharp edges for striking.

Personally I wouldn't use heat sheets as shelter if I had an option. get a silnylon tarp or tarp/poncho and use the heat sheet as a ground sheet or poncho liner to wrap around your shoulders.

#139270 - 07/10/08 01:40 PM Re: Rate my Kit? [Re: ]
TeacherRO Offline
Carpal Tunnel

You might add food+ water to your #2 kit.

#139285 - 07/10/08 02:58 PM Re: Rate my Kit? [Re: Nishnabotna]
JustinC Offline

There's barely room for one bill wrapped around a tiny scrap of cotton tinder - I have to work to get it in there. I struggled with what denomination to put in there (20, 50, or 100) for the reason you mention, but bottom line - when it comes to cash, more is better, and this is for emergencies only. In most cases I can imagine I'd have my wallet with smaller bills. If this was all I had, however, and I needed money that badly it would be an emergency ideed, and change would take a backseat to necessity.

#139287 - 07/10/08 02:59 PM Re: Rate my Kit? [Re: TeacherRO]
JustinC Offline

I definitely need to add food and water to the #2 kit. How do you store it to survive the temperature extremes of hot car in summer/waaaay below freezing in winter?

#139292 - 07/10/08 03:37 PM Re: Rate my Kit? [Re: JustinC]
dweste Offline
Pooh-Bah

Why not throw a commercial 72-hour kit in the car. The stuff is already set up for long "shelf" life.

#139303 - 07/10/08 04:06 PM Re: Rate my Kit? [Re: dweste]
dweste Offline
Pooh-Bah

Other first aid kit thoughts (I finally checked my list):

Nitrile instead of latex gloves
Hand sanitizer packs
Wound cleaning wipes
Second skin
Sunblock wipes
Safety pins
Disposable thermometers
Electrolyte tablets
Topical poison ivy / oak relief
After bite insect relief
CPR mask
Micro-light

What is “NPA”?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 386 Guests and 32 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Yesterday at 01:15 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Amanda Nenigar found dead
by Phaedrus
04/05/24 04:39 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.