Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Topic Options
#139452 - 07/11/08 05:35 PM Re: Rate my Kit? [Re: JustinC]
figtree
Unregistered

just clarifying...................8 gu needle.

do you mean 18?

18/16/14 is most common vs. a pneumothorax kit (ie. using a trocar) unless you choose the chest tube route.

-just curious.

Thanks

#139460 - 07/11/08 06:54 PM Re: Rate my Kit? [Re: ]
JustinC Offline

Loc: New England
Figtree - I don't know why I put 8 gauge. Anyway, I ran downstairs and double checked - they're 14 gauge, 3.25" catheters. They are sold by North American Rescue as a decompression "kit", which is really just the catheter in a nifty plastic storage tube.

John E. - I appreciate your concerns, and I'd never attempt a decompression on a random individual within range of definitive care (i.e. at the scene of a car accident). However, in the woods, it might be a different story. If were my wife or I, I'd do it in a heartbeat (without waiting for late signs like JVD or tracheal shift). If I ran across someone I didn't know in the backcountry who began to exhibit late signs, it would be a judgement call - I'm not trying to get sued. I definitely respect your decision not to attempt this, though, as it would adversely affect your livelihood. If you like I'd be more than happy to explain more about my choice in this matter via PM.

The Stiff Kiss...I purchased it at a military PX about 8 or 9 years ago. It's the half-serrated tanto, and I wish I had a couple more of them. They're great, sturdy little knives. Check ebay - there are a few on there right now.

#139482 - 07/12/08 02:57 AM Re: Rate my Kit? [Re: JustinC]
Joy Offline
Journeyman

Quote from JustinC: "How do you store it to survive the temperature extremes of hot car in summer/waaaay below freezing in winter?"

The only way I have figured out how to keep my emergency stuff in the car from getting too hot or cold is to cover it with thick padding. I tried a cooler, but it still got too hot. So now I cover it with thick padding like a wool blanket, foam pad (folded twice/4 layers) and anything else in the car that can keep the heat from penetrating in to it. The items I most worry about getting hot are - food, water, meds, butane canisters for the camp stove, and sensitive first aid supplies. I check it often on hot days. Like yesterday it was in the low 100's, so I checked it several times and it was still cool.

Some of the water I keep in the car has a 5 year shelf life and can take hot temperatures. I also cover it with padding. So you might consider that if you haven't already: http://www.nitro-pak.com/product_info.php?products_id=383

I am not sure what to do about keeping your water & food from freezing. I don't have that problem here. But I imagine if you wrap it up completely with enough thick padding it might work. Maybe someone here knows of a good insulating material (that would be safe around food) that would keep your stuff from freezing.

Joy

#139485 - 07/12/08 04:18 AM Re: Rate my Kit? [Re: Joy]
Hookpunch Offline

Nice set up, about the only thing I would add which I might have missed by the other posters is a pair of EMT shears to your medical kit.

I used to think that just having a pair of scissors on either my multitool or in my car would suffice but I have changed my mind, I think blunt tipped shears are necessary now.

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 444 Guests and 28 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.