Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#139102 - 07/09/08 03:37 PM Water purification
Chaotiklown Offline
:-)
Journeyman

Loc: South Carolina, USA
As most of you guys have seen, I will be in the Blue Ridge Mountain Region for a good amount of time...

My main concern will be potable water... I know there's plenty of water purification contraptions and tablets on the market, but I don't want to have to depend on anything that requires that I change a filter, or re-up on tabs.....I will have a small pot to cook in, is it sufficient to boil all of my water, or even drink directly from mountain streams if I have to? If boiling water is sufficient, I have no problem with boiling each night, and carrying a good amount of water on my person until I hit the next body or running stream of water... I will also hydrate a bit from the food that I eat as well...

#139103 - 07/09/08 03:45 PM Re: Water purification [Re: Chaotiklown]
SHawk Offline
Stranger

Loc: Central Washington
Boiling is sufficient to purify the water. I do take exception to your statement that you will hydrate from the food. I don't think there is any food that will hydrate you, as it all takes water from you body to digest. Some foods, just less than others. But I believe that the best rule of thumb is if you don't have enogh water to digest the food you plan to eat, then don't eat. Think of a scale water intake must at least equal water output. If your urine isn't nearly clear then you are a bit dehydrated.

#139114 - 07/09/08 04:29 PM Re: Water purification [Re: Chaotiklown]
Am_Fear_Liath_Mor Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Quote:
My main concern will be potable water... I know there's plenty of water purification contraptions and tablets on the market, but I don't want to have to depend on anything that requires that I change a filter, or re-up on tabs.....I will have a small pot to cook in, is it sufficient to boil all of my water, or even drink directly from mountain streams if I have to? If boiling water is sufficient, I have no problem with boiling each night, and carrying a good amount of water on my person until I hit the next body or running stream of water... I will also hydrate a bit from the food that I eat as well

A very lightweight purification system which would have a very long life time would be a Solar PV charger such as a Sunlinq 6.5W panel, A set of replaceable RCR123s with 12V charger and a Hydro-Photon Adventurer.

Steripen-adventurer 4 oz
Sunlinq 6.5W PV Solar Charger 7 oz
4 RCR123s with charger 4oz

Total Weight 15oz

This setup would last about 5-7 years of continual use at 3 litres/day of water treatment.

#139118 - 07/09/08 04:48 PM Re: Water purification [Re: Am_Fear_Liath_Mor]
Dan_McI Offline
Old Hand

Loc: NYC
If you are planning on hiking in the Blue Ridge Mountains during the next few months, you are going to need a good amount of water. Boiling it all is probably going to be difficult.

Normal human needs are about a gallon of water a day, before you begin to think about hygenic uses. However, if you are walking through this area, carrying a load, you are going to sweat and need more water.

At the very least, I'd carry something to chemically treat water. I'd at least put some iodine in my stuff and learn how to use it.

#139126 - 07/09/08 04:57 PM Re: Water purification [Re: NightHiker]
Mike_H Offline
Addict

Loc: SE PA
You should probably be a bit redundant when it comes to water. This is one thing you don't want to be without.

As many people have said, the rule of 3's. 3 minutes without air, 3 days without water, 3 weeks without food. Those will kill.

With that said, carry a supply of purification tabs. The Katadyn Micropur Purification Tablets are some of the best. I've also heard great reviews on the Steripen mentioned above, esp. with the solar charger.

With this setup, you can normally boil water when you can. You can also treat the water in one of two ways if you need to be moving quickly or don't have the time to boil. The tablets are a good backup in case technology breaks down, which it always seems to do at the worse possible time.

#139127 - 07/09/08 05:00 PM Re: Water purification [Re: Am_Fear_Liath_Mor]
big_al Offline
Addict

Loc: 20mi east of San Diego

If you are not staying in established camp sites, is it legal to have a fire? If no fire for the night you might carry the pills to get you through the next day. As far as fire to boil water and not have to carry fuel for a stove you may try this.
http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/cb/cb.aspx?a=288270

#139129 - 07/09/08 05:04 PM Re: Water purification [Re: big_al]
dweste Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Central California
Solar option:

Aquapak water purification system with built-in WAPI $20
http://65.108.108.197/catalog/aquapak-p-37.html?osCsid=175170b8962102b1cfd38c77657d5c59

#139135 - 07/09/08 05:28 PM Re: Water purification [Re: Am_Fear_Liath_Mor]
Grouch Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Ohio
Originally Posted By: Am_Fear_Liath_Mor
Steripen-adventurer 4 oz
Sunlinq 6.5W PV Solar Charger 7 oz
4 RCR123s with charger 4oz

Total Weight 15oz

For what it's worth, SteriPEN offers a solar charger/case (with batteries) for the Adventurer and Traveler models (suggested retail $79.95). The Adventurer and charger can be purchased as a package (suggested retail $149.95).

http://www.steripen.com/steripen_products.html

Edited by Grouch (07/09/08 05:53 PM)
Edit Reason: Fixed URL

#139137 - 07/09/08 05:34 PM Re: Water purification [Re: Grouch]
Hacksaw
Unregistered

Even if you plan to boil as your primary method, carry something small as a backup like a MIOX Pen, tablets, or a small filter of some kind.

#139154 - 07/09/08 06:52 PM Re: Water purification [Re: Chaotiklown]
Spiritwalker Offline

I'd recommend a Milbank filter bag with a SteriPEN w/solar charger plus tablets as a emergency backup. You can use the Milbank to prefilter water before boiling or using the SteriPEN. A home-made Milbank can be sized to carry and protect one gallon ziplock freezer bag(s) or a small solar shower to transport water away from the source (and swarms of mosquitoes) for purification. It will also act as a half-assed evaporation cooler while wet.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 324 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.