The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#13938 - 03/16/03 06:52 AM Best LED light
Rusty Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: College Station, Texas
What is the best LED light, the Micro light 2? or another?
Headlamp or handheld?

#13939 - 03/16/03 07:04 AM Re: Best LED light
Anonymous
Unregistered

It's all about your purpose-are you looking for the brighttest, the one with longestr battery life, or the one where the bulbs last longest!

Personally as a vet when i am in the field doing operations in fields i use the petzl tikka-very intensive beam for a short range, is a headlamp so my hands are free and the batteries seem to last a while!!!

There are loads of posts on this on the site-do a search!

Mark

#13940 - 03/16/03 10:52 AM Re: Best LED light
Anonymous
Unregistered

I agree, but I prefer the zipka as it is more compact and multi-purpose.

#13941 - 03/16/03 06:16 PM Re: Best LED light
Anonymous
Unregistered

I am a real fan of a head lamp, rather than handheld, for a primary light because it is much easier to hold a headlamp in your hand than it is to duct tape (or otherwie fasten) a hand held light to your head. I hand hold my trusty Tikka about half the time anyway, but it fits very nicely on either my head or my helmet in a variety of situations. I even used it as a bicycle headlamp briefly.

There are lots of good LEDs out there. What is "best" depends totally upon your uses for the light.

#13942 - 03/16/03 09:06 PM Re: Best LED light
Anonymous
Unregistered

I have MANY led lights, but I'm particularly fond of the CMG infinity Ultra. Runs great on a single, alway available AA battery- lithium gives more brightness and longevity esp. in cold.
It fits easily in a pocket, can be used as a headlamp with a jackstrap(sp?) and is plenty bright for use a s a flashlight, but not a tac light.
JB

#13943 - 03/17/03 05:01 AM Re: Best LED light
Anonymous
Unregistered

I like my Arc light (learned about it here) a LOT. I've had it a couple months, and it's my favorite light. Uses a single AAA, so it's tiny, but very bright. And the best thing is, I took the clip off an old, cheap little light that was in my junk drawer which happens to fit it perfectly, so I can clip it on the bill of my cap for an instant headlamp.

Dave

#13944 - 03/17/03 05:53 AM Re: Best LED light
Biscuits Offline

Loc: Central Colorado
Dave,
My AAA seems to have selective reliability. When it doesn't turn on I unscrew the bulb housing, dump out the battery, put the battery back in, grumble, screw the housing back on, and it works. Any similar problems with yours?
-Biscuits

#13945 - 03/17/03 06:00 AM Re: Best LED light
Biscuits Offline

Loc: Central Colorado
Rusty,
I have an ARC AAA that I keep on my keyring. I've had an irritating little problem with it (described below), but nothing that would keep me from buying another. I also bought my wife a Petzl Tikka. She would trade me before she'd trade that headlamp. I'm not sure what constitutes "best" as I'm not sure how you would be using yours. But I'd find it hard to believe that you would be sorry you bought either of these.
-Biscuits

#13946 - 03/17/03 12:00 PM Re: Best LED light
Anonymous
Unregistered

I use my petzl tikka as a back up light for caving and potholing and many of my friends have had their FX3 battery head lamps fail underground, but been quite happy using a 3 LED £25 tikka as their main lamp underground for as long as 6 hours.

Doozer

#13947 - 03/17/03 12:40 PM Re: Best LED light
Polak187 Offline
Veteran

Loc: Brooklyn, New York
This is me demonstrating my love to Petzl Tikka:

Since last year I also bought Zipka for street work. I think they are great. They last long time and when working at night or climbing or hiking they are irreplacable. I was made fun of many times when I put one on. But now people who camp with me have one since they are so comfortable and versitale.

Matt

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 324 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.