The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 4 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >
Topic Options
#139313 - 07/10/08 04:52 PM Re: -------My Journey------ [Re: unimogbert]
DesertFox Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: New York, NY
Keep a journal. Let us know how it is working out. You might be able to teach us all something.

#139320 - 07/10/08 05:37 PM Re: -------My Journey------ [Re: DesertFox]
Mike_H Offline
Addict

Loc: SE PA
If you were walking through PA near Valley Forge, I would be more than happy to arrange some moral boosting, but sounds like you will be quite west of me.

#139323 - 07/10/08 05:51 PM Re: -------My Journey------ [Re: NightHiker]
Fitzoid Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: WI, MA, and NYC
Originally Posted By: NightHiker
Ok here's my 2¢:
First, I have a very strong belief that everybody has to follow their own path in order to get where they are going. I think this will be an extremely enlightening experience for you and possibly even in the manner you envision.

I'll agree in principle but in this case, it's like saying, "I want to go for a high speed drive to clear my head. How do I start the car?"

And what about the poor slobs who have to go find, rescue, or recover him when his panicked family and friends call for SAR after not hearing from him for a while? SAR is dangerous work, unless he's going trekking around the Duck Pond in Central Park. (Know how many Medevac crews have died this year alone?)

I just can't agree with putting other people at risk because he doesn't want to take the time to train properly.

#139325 - 07/10/08 05:58 PM Re: -------My Journey------ [Re: Fitzoid]
Blast Offline
INTERCEPTOR
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: TX
+1 to the Fitzoid. I keep thinking the ETS board is yelling, "Jump! You'll learn to fly on the way down!".

-Blast
Radio Call Sign: KI5BOG
*As an Amazon Influencer, I may earn a sales commission on Amazon links in my posts.

#139326 - 07/10/08 06:05 PM Re: -------My Journey------ [Re: Blast]
Mike_H Offline
Addict

Loc: SE PA
This reminds me of a post made some time ago. Here is the thread: Survival Help

As Dave has already stated, he has made up his mind to do this. All we can do is point him in the right direction and bring up the proper precautions.

Most of us on this board wouldn't dream of attempting something like this without some serious preperations and trial runs. Even walking the AT the entire length requires some serious planning and that is a well established trail where you have a decent chance of having help when needed.

#139327 - 07/10/08 06:09 PM Re: -------My Journey------ [Re: Fitzoid]
dweste Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Central California
I agree that Dave appears to have no significant long journey experience, but his first post reflects substantial experience and training relevant to outdoor trekking. He is 22 and probably is better shape than, well, me anyway. Indeed the whole point of this thread, and the several others Dave has started, is his effort to lay out his kit, his plans, and why he is determined to do this in pretty good detail for the purpose of soliciting detailed suggestions to reduce his risks.

Also, those who know the area he intends to journey through indicate civilization will be relatively close all the time, which is much different than a deep-in-the-wilderness scenario. Given the care he has exhibited on this forum, it seems to me that the risks can be reasonably encountered and the most likely untoward scenario is that Dave runs out of supplies and hikes out to town.

Can something bad happen? Sure, just like anytime any of us takes a hike. Could he require rescue and put others at risk? Sure, just like anytime any of us takes a hike.

I'm assuming no one is advocating Dave become a bubble-boy isolated from the world to keep him "safe." So if we have helpful suggestions, let's make them. What type of training would you suggest to help Dave that he doesn't already have?

#139328 - 07/10/08 06:10 PM Re: -------My Journey------ [Re: Blast]
Angel Offline

I haven't seen where he said he didn't want to train properly. Maybe I missed it. Isn't asking questions and sharing ideas part of training?

#139329 - 07/10/08 06:20 PM Re: -------My Journey------ [Re: Blast]
Hacksaw
Unregistered

Originally Posted By: Blast
+1 to the Fitzoid. I keep thinking the ETS board is yelling, "Jump! You'll learn to fly on the way down!".

-Blast

+2 and not just because I'm a SAR volunteer. It's our job to help anybody in trouble even if they got there because they were doing something they shouldn't have. I have no prejudice against those people. I do what I can to prevent it and that's why I'm here running my mouth of every day smile

I've been tempted in the past to 'go walkabout' and not tell anybody but it's just really a foolish thing to do. These days I have a wife to worry about and I wouldn't think about straying far without leaving some kind of trip plan behind with at least 2 people.

If you're in an area where there are conservation officers or rangers (or similar), find out where their stations are and mark them on your map or GPS. Pop in and say hi while you pass through. Have a chat with them. If something goes wrong, SAR will have a PLS (point last seen) to start searching from and they might even be able to tip you off about the weather forecast, dangerous animals in the area like cougars, or tell you if a river has flooded, etc. If you're transparent with them and tell them what you're doing, you're likely to get help rather than a scolding unless you're doing something illegal or obviously in over your head.

#139332 - 07/10/08 06:41 PM Re: -------My Journey------ [Re: dweste]
Chaotiklown Offline
:-)
Journeyman

Loc: South Carolina, USA
Should I succeed in my ultimate goals, my own happiness will be fulfilled. Thing is, things like family, kids, good job, money, all those things cannot hold importance to me, until I do figure out what shot I have at my goals.

#139333 - 07/10/08 06:45 PM Re: -------My Journey------ [Re: Jeff]
Chaotiklown Offline
:-)
Journeyman

Loc: South Carolina, USA
I have seen "into the wild". Much inspiration in the movie, but it was too close to the typical horror movie's, "I KNOW you're not really stupid enough to go through that door!". He made a few mistakes in his journey that he could've avoided(did the old man he last stayed with not give him a collapsible fishing pole, along with the machete and boots? if you find an impassable river.... Fish in it! Don't eat goofy berries you know nothing of!) However another thing is that he was pursuing his personal happiness. My goals are slightly different. I do not wish to denounce society forever and live in the woods...

Page 4 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 295 Guests and 21 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.