Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 5 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >
Topic Options
#139334 - 07/10/08 06:55 PM Re: -------My Journey------ [Re: Angel]
Chaotiklown Offline
:-)
Journeyman

Loc: South Carolina, USA
Angel, you really do have some great information here- I'm curious of a few other things, however.

Why is it exactly that you bring salt? You mentioned a "craving" for it, but was that all it was? Or was your body getting low in salt, and couldn't derive it from your surroundings(taking the blood from a kill, mixing with water and boiling maybe?)

Staying out of creeks late in the day is an excellent suggestion, makes a lot of sense. Now I will be wearing desert tan army combat boots.... Should I remove them before crossing water, to avoid soaking them and marinating my feet within? or is it really not so big of an issue?

Eyes on animal trails before I set up camp- Great idea, also could make for strategic placement from which to hunt or trap...

Eating early is a fantastic idea too, these "raiders" of the bear world(black bears) could pose a problem if they smell food- Thanks, that one is something to keep in mind......

Stuff fish with wild onions? Please do explain that one... Could I possibly preserve fish for awhile longer by doing this?

Plants, plants, plants! There's also wild blackberries this time of year, poke salad(poisonous until boiled, and NOT the berries, I know...), pine trees contain nutrients in many fashions, and a few more... Any other plant-food suggestions off the top of your head, that apply to the Blue Ridge Regions?

Thanks Angel, keep it coming!

#139337 - 07/10/08 07:05 PM Re: -------My Journey------ [Re: NightHiker]
Chaotiklown Offline
Journeyman

NightHiker,

Far as practicing before I go, I'm afraid I cannot- This is going to be a do-or-die kind of thing, I do not have the time nor resources to waste any more time than I have to. Unfortunately, practice is out of the question, other than what I have as of right now....

Swapping out the bayonet for a multi-tool- Good idea, probably don't need quite so much knife-power as 3 knives. However, if you hand this thing to someone, usually they don't realize that it's a wirecutter, being how it combines the sheath with an inconspicuous slot on the knife itself- It's usefulness and dependability cannot be underestimated, especially if I were to end up losing the Smith & Wesson. I may actually drop the other fixed blade however, it's quality is questionable, and 3 is probably a bit too much....

More than a 4oz can of mace for bears? Hehehe, As much as I'd love to have a rocket launcher strapped on my back(just in case), the mace will even out my chances enough to make me feel comfortable. Also, I'm quite confident in my abilities with a hiking stick and knife if need-be, should a bear shake off a good eye-dump of OC...

I will be keeping touch with my family- I'll give them head's up on where I'm at when I contact them, and where I'm headed...

Thanks!

#139338 - 07/10/08 07:08 PM Re: -------My Journey------ [Re: clarktx]
Chaotiklown Offline
Journeyman

Thanks clarktx, I'm pretty decent with my inter-personal skills, and I'm more than sure I'll be making friends along the way- But the amount of help that I'll actually accept from anyone(financially) is minimal- Advice, company, a little bit of work maybe, and transport- That should be all. Thanks! I'll check into literature as well...

#139339 - 07/10/08 07:09 PM Re: -------My Journey------ [Re: unimogbert]
Chaotiklown Offline
Journeyman

Unimogbert- Thanks for the support, and I have a feeling I will have a good bit of fun with it:-) Hahaha, and yeah, I can eat bugs if I have to- Last resort though!

#139342 - 07/10/08 07:11 PM Re: -------My Journey------ [Re: Chaotiklown]
Hacksaw
Unregistered

Cat tails grow nearly anywhere there's still water. They can be eaten at any stage of their life in one way or another.

#139343 - 07/10/08 07:14 PM Re: -------My Journey------ [Re: Chaotiklown]
unimogbert Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Colorado
I recommend Colin Fletchers book COMPLETE WALKER III.

Everyone here probably has a thousand little things they think you should know with maybe 40% overlap from one to the next.
Fletcher published his approach and recommendations in a well-organized format. (I like to re-read it in the winter to pick up more and more tidbits.)

I prefer to keep my boots dry. Fewer blisters. But depends on what stream bottom is like. I bet Blast wades in boots - snapping turtles and snakes might like bare toes....

#139344 - 07/10/08 07:14 PM Re: -------My Journey------ [Re: Mike_H]
Chaotiklown Offline
Journeyman

Mike,

Illinois will not be my only destination, there are people all over the country that I wish to speak to- I also do have about the best resource that a traveler can have.... My laptop, with integrated wireless! Oh yes, that means that I can pick up on some wireless, throw everyone I know some messages on how I'm doing, and believe me- the advice I've gotten from the good-hearted people on here will stick with me, both in my habits and my appreciation- I'll let everyone on this forum know how I've been, how all the advise has worked out... I'm on no set schedules, so if somebody happens to see a post of mine and sees that I'm near, I have no problems stopping by and having a glass of water with any of you on the porch, and throw around some good conversation before I push on:-)

#139346 - 07/10/08 07:23 PM Re: -------My Journey------ [Re: Fitzoid]
Chaotiklown Offline
Journeyman

Bud, please do understand something- it may be a little more than outside the box to think in such a way- But the thing is here, I know my chances, and I am taking them. I've made it clear to everyone involved that I know full and well what could happen, worse-case scenario-wise. I've also made it clear that they might not agree, understand, or see my positions.... But when I am successful, it will all be worth it. Nothing great ever came easily or surely.

Now you have made your point, that you disagree with my rationality of the situation. I appreciate your opinion- But please don't give me reason to come out with an "I told you so" a year or so down the road... Don't you just hate when people do that? :-)

#139348 - 07/10/08 07:25 PM Re: -------My Journey------ [Re: Fitzoid]
Chaotiklown Offline
Journeyman

And yes, I am taking into consideration the people that will be put at risk, should I fail. But I'm also weighing in the factor of how many people that I will make life better for, should I succeed.

#139349 - 07/10/08 07:25 PM Re: -------My Journey------ [Re: Chaotiklown]
Fitzoid Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: WI, MA, and NYC
This is my last post in this thread, as we have seriously crossed into the Twilight Zone.

As far as I know, bear pepper spray is not sold in 4oz cans. The low-level concentrations used for human assailants that come in small cans will probably just infuriate a bear, assuming the spray even reaches it.

And if you think you can fight a bear with a knife and a stick, I suggest you let the authorities know where to send your knives so Blast can have them. (He called dibs.) By the way, banging two rocks together and shouting is infinitely more effective than fighting a bear.

This quote is the real kicker.

Originally Posted By: Chaotiklown
NightHiker,
Far as practicing before I go, I'm afraid I cannot- This is going to be a do-or-die kind of thing, I do not have the time nor resources to waste any more time than I have to. Unfortunately, practice is out of the question, other than what I have as of right now....

Your attitude is not heroic, poetic, or inspired. It is just plain stupid. Sorry, dude, I don't mean to be an ass but there's no way to beat around the bush with some things.

Page 5 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (SRMC), 332 Guests and 70 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.