The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 3 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >
Topic Options
#139274 - 07/10/08 01:57 PM Re: -------My Journey------ [Re: Blast]
dweste Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Central California
Dissuade a 22-year old opinionated guy just out of the service, you must be kidding me!

I hope it all works out but, barring a Blast style cat-astrophe, the most likely problem is that Dave is just going to run out of resources and hike out to civilization.

Edited by dweste (07/10/08 01:59 PM)

#139276 - 07/10/08 02:08 PM Re: -------My Journey------ [Re: dweste]
Hacksaw
Unregistered

Before you go, read "Into the wild".

#139279 - 07/10/08 02:19 PM Re: -------My Journey------ [Re: Blast]
Dan_McI Offline
Old Hand

Loc: NYC
Originally Posted By: Blast
Quote:
I'm just very surprised some of the cooler heads here haven't tried to dissuade you from starting a trip like this.

Yeah, it's scary when I'm the voice of reason... eek After reading all this my main thoughts are, "Dibs on his knives."

-Blast

I think there have been numerous voices with some reason in them, but no one's really trying to persuade someone to not do something they seem determined to do. If he's going to do it, then he needs advice on how to improve his chances and make the tasks easier.

Although, I think I could use a new bayonet.

Edited by Dan_McI (07/10/08 02:20 PM)

#139282 - 07/10/08 02:52 PM Re: -------My Journey------ [Re: Chaotiklown]
adam Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Long Island, NY
You might want to consider a training hike to help you sort out the gear and other issues that might arise. I would take a 2-3 week hike along the AT and see how you like it. You can resupply ever few days so food won't be a concern. This will allow you time to get accustomed to hiking and your gear in a relatively "safe" manner.

Good luck.

Adam

#139286 - 07/10/08 02:59 PM Re: -------My Journey------ [Re: Dan_McI]
Angel Offline

Here is a few of the things I learned from my treks into the Blue Ridge Mts.
Plan your day, seriously, from the beginning to end. Make sure you don't let the dew fall on you at night, this slows the start of your day. The first thing you want to do is find as much wood as you'll need for the night. Clean your camp up and make it home, find a good bug free log to sit on and something that will serve as a table. Remember, HOME, some assembly required. Spend the rest of your day exploring and finding food. Stay out of the creeks after about 2:00 or 3:00. This will give you time to dry. Camp where there are no animal trails. There's no need for a huge fire, the smell of smoke seems to keep the animals away. Clean your fish or anything else that needs cleaning as early in the day as you can and in fast moving water if possible. Remember to take salt. If you run up on a snake, kill it, it's dinner. I always made sure I ate around 3:00, this way camp was not smelling like food at night. There's also leeks, wild onions and ginsing all over. You can stuff your fish with wild onions and it will keep it from drying out and adds flavor. Stay off the waterfalls, they are slick. Be sure to explore all around your camp during the day. I never needed this one but if you get lost, walk downhill, there's always civilization or a road at the bottom of the Mts.

#139294 - 07/10/08 03:44 PM Re: -------My Journey------ [Re: Angel]
dweste Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Central California
Angel, that's some geat stuff.

Not my idea but a good one: prepaid postage on Tyvek mailng envelope to send stuff back to yourself if some of the many jurisdictions you are going to encounter doesn't approve of some gear - as an alternative to having it confiscated. It may not always work to propose this alternative but it seems a cheap way to try to save expensive gear.

Edited by dweste (07/10/08 03:45 PM)

#139295 - 07/10/08 03:48 PM Re: -------My Journey------ [Re: ]
Jeff Offline

Originally Posted By: Hacksaw
Before you go, read "Into the wild".

Agreed.

Better yet, rent the dvd. That's an amazing movie.

There are many lessons in there including don't get yourself in too deep if you can help it.

The dvd is a "must see" before you begin your adventure.

Jeff

#139307 - 07/10/08 04:20 PM Re: -------My Journey------ [Re: Jeff]
clarktx Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Houston, Texas
blast loaned me a book that was called something like "the man who walked through time". It was about a dude who walked the length of the grand canyon 20 or 30 years ao. He had an airplane do drops for him on the way. Its a lot like what you want to do, for the same reasons. At times, he even walked naked, just because he could. A bit weird to some, but in the context of the book, I think it fit in with his mental state. I, however, am not condoning that and would not do it myself. But, I think it would be amusing for you to read it since you are talking about doing the same kinda trip, but in a different location.

Personally, I think you should solicit the help of some well meaning people to set up some food caches for you on the way. Perhaps people from this very forum. I am sure you would get help. I'm not talking about enough help so that you wouldn't have to forage, just, something to look forward to morale wise. Whatever it is that would float your boat. For me, it would probably "one good meal" that I would cook myself. Some meat. Potato. And a bit of chocolate for desert. One meal. But man, it would be cool after 2 weeks of roughing it!

Anyway, I'm a bit jealous, but only in a good way. It would be very nice of you could find a way to share progress with us.

#139309 - 07/10/08 04:33 PM Re: -------My Journey------ [Re: clarktx]
unimogbert Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Colorado
I appreciate the perspective shared.

I am a strong supporter of a person "going walkabout" early in life and as often as possible throughout (I'm way overdue for a good walkabout myself). The adventure of self-discovery is important.

Have fun, be careful, and you don't really have to eat bugs (do you?)

#139311 - 07/10/08 04:44 PM Re: -------My Journey------ [Re: unimogbert]
Angel Offline

I never had to eat bugs. As far as the naked thing goes it feels good up to a point. Clothes were invented for a reason.

Page 3 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 444 Guests and 28 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.