The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#139271 - 07/10/08 01:44 PM Resource map for my bug out route and bug in site
dweste Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Central California
Using the categories I have settled on for now (First Aid, Shelter, Fire, Water, Food, Navigation, Light. Signaling, Self-protection, Hygiene, and Morale), I am mapping resources on my bug out route (to the only unpolluted river in the area and then following it upstream to the foothills where I am looking to create a mini-retreat) and also in the neighborhood of my bug-in site. I am also using GPS waypoints.

Anybody else doing the same?

Sugestions?

Thanks.

#139275 - 07/10/08 02:08 PM Re: Resource map for my bug out route and bug in site [Re: dweste]
Dan_McI Offline
Old Hand

Loc: NYC
Why not position or cache resources along that route, if you intend to take it? You can go so far as to replicate an entire kit, or simply add some things of which you may not have enough.

Also, I'd like to know that route. I'd like to use it before I needed to use it, so that I knew it and I knew I could do it, if I ever really needed to do so. Of course, this is talk and not what I've done, I'm not going to walk my way out of NYC anytime soon, wihtou the need. I do however walk a lot.

Finally, why one route? What happens if that route is blocked?

#139277 - 07/10/08 02:10 PM Re: Resource map for my bug out route and bug in site [Re: Dan_McI]
Hacksaw
Unregistered

Pretty good idea. I hadn't thought about it like that before.

I'd likely plan 2 routes with one being a backup. You never know when a flooded river, road block, or fire (etc) could block your original route.

#139278 - 07/10/08 02:12 PM Re: Resource map for my bug out route and bug in site [Re: ]
dweste Offline
Pooh-Bah

Good ideas, thanks!

Caches are being assembled using 5 gallon buckets, gamma lids, etc. Alternate routes on-the-fly are through farmland\

Edited by dweste (07/10/08 02:19 PM)

#139284 - 07/10/08 02:56 PM Re: Resource map for my bug out route and bug in site [Re: dweste]
Hacksaw
Unregistered

If you plan to hide caches in 5 gal. buckets I recommend putting some kind of camo on them to keep them from being discovered accidentally.

Also, start geocaching if you don't already. It's great practice for finding things in the bush using a GPS. Remember that even the best GPS might not be able to pin point it...only get you within 10 to 15 feet. I guarantee you won't remember how you placed all of them when it comes time to actually need them. Changes in terrain, weather, lighting, etc. make a huge difference.

#139290 - 07/10/08 03:29 PM Re: Resource map for my bug out route and bug in site [Re: ]
dweste Offline
Pooh-Bah

I don't really need a cache to get to my first camp area - it is only about 30 miles away, but I will take your suggestions to heart when placing my "first camp" cache. The cache will be buried a foot down in an unlikely-to-be-disturbed location

I am occasionally doing orienteering but hadn't thought about seeing if there is any geocaching in my area; good idea.

As I see it my biggest challenge is that my foothill "retreat" is going to be on public land on a very rocky river canyon wall. I just cannot think of any other location within reasonable reach by foot within a week or so that has food and water sources on which I can rely.

If things go south for more than a couple months, I am going to become at least an occasional nomadic forager with all the diminished chances for survival that goes with it. That eventuality was the start of my resource mapping: at least I could start with some definite targets.

#139318 - 07/10/08 05:32 PM Re: Resource map for my bug out route and bug in site [Re: dweste]
wildman800 Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: La-USA
I hadn't thought of this other than in a general manner. We mark our charts with notes such as: "good trees" (to tie up to), "Wait traffic" (a good safe place to pull over when northbound to allow southbound traffic to get through critical areas), and we mark radio channels that facilities (bridges, locks, boat stores, commercial docks, etc, use). It makes life much easier when trying to memorize a couple of thousand miles of waterways.

Per your idea, I would get an overlay and mark your geocaches, water sources, camping spots, etc on it. Keep it separate from the map until you need the info, then lay 1 over the other. That provides a little better security for your information should the wrong people find one or the other.

Me, being my normal paranoid self!

#139358 - 07/10/08 08:52 PM Re: Resource map for my bug out route and bug in site [Re: NightHiker]
Blast Offline
INTERCEPTOR
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: TX
Quote:
but also possible problem spots - bridges and roads that may be flooded out, areas that are prone to avalance, high traffic flow locations that may expeience gridlock, etc

Knowing where all the churches, schools and other "emergency Shelter" areas is also very helpful. After the hurricane Rita evacuation of Houston I made maps showing where every local emergency shelter was. The next time something like that happens I'll be passing these maps out to stranded people. That way they won't end up camped out on the streets of my neighborhood.

-Blast

Edited by Blast (07/10/08 08:53 PM)
Radio Call Sign: KI5BOG
*As an Amazon Influencer, I may earn a sales commission on Amazon links in my posts.

#139361 - 07/10/08 09:35 PM Re: Resource map for my bug out route and bug in site [Re: Blast]
MoBOB Offline
Veteran

Loc: here
For your caches you could improvise a metal detector. Attach those really strong rare earth magnets to the lids of the buckets. Use a smaller magnet/piece of ferrous metal on a string to locate the buckets. This, of course, assumes you have buried them.

The down side is if someone with a pacemaker happens to lie down on the ground over your bucket...he's a goner!!!

Feel free to chime in everyone.

#139363 - 07/10/08 09:48 PM Re: Resource map for my bug out route and bug in site [Re: MoBOB]
Hacksaw
Unregistered

I don't think they'd be strong enough. Burried a foot under ground the magnets wouldn't have much pull on each other unless they were BIG.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  MartinFocazio, Tyber 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (SRMC), 332 Guests and 70 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.