Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >
Topic Options
#139240 - 07/10/08 03:23 AM Re: -------My Journey------ [Re: Chaotiklown]
Fitzoid Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: WI, MA, and NYC
Howdy Chaotiklown,

Haven't posted here in a while -- mostly a lurker these days -- but I saw your threads as I was passing through tonight.

I'll probably get flamed out the wazoo for this, but some of your questions are pretty basic. Namely, if you have to ask them, you might want to reconsider whether your trip is realistic. In my (very) humble opinion, if you don't know how to sling a bear bag, purify water, etc., you might want to do some simple trips before trekking across half the country.

Don't mean to rain on your parade but it just doesn't sound to my ears like you're well prepared for something like this. Might be better to walk before you run.

Ok, back into obscurity for me and best wishes to you.

#139241 - 07/10/08 03:32 AM Re: -------My Journey------ [Re: Fitzoid]
Chaotiklown Offline
:-)
Journeyman

Loc: South Carolina, USA
I have no interest in "flaming" you sir... However I'm aware that I'm not the most experienced survivalist on the planet. That is why I'm going to do everything necessary to gather information that I need before I go. I know that regardless of how prepared I am, things can still go wrong. However this is a chance that I'm willing to take. This is going to happen, as ill-advised as it may be. I'm only here for advice on how to make this more possible. My decision to go has already been made. Thank you though sir, you are quite right in the fact that I'm not prepared at the moment. I only wish to get as prepared as possible before I go- After that, if I make it, I do. If I don't, well.... Morbid as it may sound, I would be happy knowing that I gave it my best shot.

#139246 - 07/10/08 04:30 AM Re: -------My Journey------ [Re: Chaotiklown]
Fitzoid Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: WI, MA, and NYC
Ah, I didn't mean you would flame me. I'm just very surprised some of the cooler heads here haven't tried to dissuade you from starting a trip like this.

And no "sir" is necessary. You can just call me "bud."

#139248 - 07/10/08 05:03 AM Re: -------My Journey------ [Re: Fitzoid]
Chaotiklown Offline
:-)
Journeyman

Loc: South Carolina, USA
I understand... Well Bud, you may well be right, I haven't had the post up for too long. I hope that nobody does try to persuade me from doing this, however. If it could be done, my family and friends would have done it by now(and believe me, not all of them understand). Although I welcome anyone's take of my situation, my main purpose for sifting and communicating on this forum is for advice on how to survive, because I will end up going regardless, and the more I have in my brain(and notes), the better chance I'll have.

#139249 - 07/10/08 05:27 AM Re: -------My Journey------ [Re: Chaotiklown]
dweste Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Central California
The ancient adage, “Know Thyself,” comes to mind. There are layers and layers of some pretty good thoughts hiding in those two words.

I think Buddhists emphasize it is not just doing good work but finding and doing the right work for you. Selfless nose-to-the grindstone sacrifice for the good of others that does not fit who you are would be a kind of self-indentured slave’s masochistic spiritual suicide.

If what you are doing does not link to what makes you fulfilled and proud and happy, then I suggest you make a different choice as soon as you can. And I pray for you if you cannot.

#139254 - 07/10/08 11:06 AM Re: -------My Journey------ [Re: dweste]
Mike_H Offline
Addict

Loc: SE PA
A GPS would really be golden in a situation like this. May not always work in every situation and you have the power problem (spare batteries, needed to charge them, etc...)

But, would definitely let you know where you are at and you can purchase topo maps to overlay onto it.

#139255 - 07/10/08 11:22 AM Re: -------My Journey------ [Re: Mike_H]
dweste Offline
Pooh-Bah

On a more practical note:

Without going into great detail, I suggest you pack whatever you think makes sense in each of the functional categories you think are appropriate. I use as categories: First Aid, Shelter, Fire, Water, Food, Navigation, Light. Signaling, Self-protection, Hygiene, and Morale.

My generalized suggestion for gear is that it be lightweight, multi-use, and definitely include water and food so you can move without need to hunt or forage for a few days at least (Rule of Threes: (You may die if you go: 3 minutes without air, 3 hours without shelter, 3 days without water, or 3 weeks without food).

I suggest you ship / mail ahead maps of the next area to trek through, return shipping / mailing supplies for maps and notes of the just-completed segment of your journey, some or all of the consumables you are likely to need for the next stretch, and at least some treats / morale boosting stuff. Being able to do this is both practical and a test to make sure you have budgeted properly.

Edited by dweste (07/10/08 11:22 AM)

#139256 - 07/10/08 11:24 AM Re: -------My Journey------ [Re: Mike_H]
dweste Offline
Pooh-Bah

Consider a GPS that includes a map chip.

#139265 - 07/10/08 01:16 PM Re: -------My Journey------ [Re: dweste]
Dan_McI Offline
Old Hand

Loc: NYC
If you family is aware of your plan, then enlist them a bit for some assistance. First, prepare some packages with maps and addresses for a Mail Boxes, Etc. or UPS, they will forward stuff. You carry the ones you need now, receive enws ones as the need for them arises, and send home the used ones, so your weight is less.

Also, it is you putting in a system whereby you'll check in. Want to put your families minds at ease some, give them a way to check in and know where you are and when to expect to hear from you.

Get out this weekend or in the next week and try some things. Put your stuff in a pack, walk into the woods, live there for a couple days, walk out. Any practice is going to help your skills. Bring a book or two while you are there. This will also help you judge your needs, as to what you will need.

Finally, someone up above, Angel, seems to have experience doing what you want to do. I think that's one person who's brain I would seriously be trying to pick.

#139273 - 07/10/08 01:51 PM Re: -------My Journey------ [Re: Fitzoid]
Blast Offline
INTERCEPTOR
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: TX
Quote:
I'm just very surprised some of the cooler heads here haven't tried to dissuade you from starting a trip like this.

Yeah, it's scary when I'm the voice of reason... eek After reading all this my main thoughts are, "Dibs on his knives."

-Blast
Radio Call Sign: KI5BOG
*As an Amazon Influencer, I may earn a sales commission on Amazon links in my posts.

Page 2 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 449 Guests and 12 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Zippo Butane Inserts
by NAro
Today at 11:57 AM
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:21 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.